Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Chronicle

It’s understood that while Rafa Benitez has come to the conclusion he can not work for Mike Ashley’s United, he could be open to a return under new management down the line.

rafa has not said that..the chronicle are assuming he thought out loud ffs

Chronicle

It’s understood that while Rafa Benitez has come to the conclusion he can not work for Mike Ashley’s United, he could be open to a return under new management down the line.

rafa has not said that..the chronicle are assuming he thought out loud ffs

Yes. We can read

Tbh I have no problem with how anyone regards NUFC these days - whether they still want us to win, actively want us to lose (I was the same when I thought it might lead to Pardew's demise), or if they're almost totally fucking ambivalent which is about where I'm getting to. I'll probs stick the games on in the background and vaguely want to see us win matches but not be that arsed either way. I was pretty much at that stage for a lot of games last season, Rafa or no Rafa.

What I do have an issue with is anyone who is settled on one of the above and therefore has a pop at anyone who isn't with them in their stance. Everyone is different man, it's completely and utterly tedious to grill people about whether they'll watch the matches in the house/pub next season and how they'll react to wins/losses/goals etc. Mind your own fucking business ffs, and get on with whatever it is you're doing.

:lol: I feel like you're speaking-out against a bigger issue here; a mega, global, history of humanity type issue.

There are ways of going about it but hopefully there'll be a bit of a push to convince folks to stay away for a bit. There's no greater opportunity for protest so the message ought to get hammered home.

If the situation with Ashley makes fans turn on other fans, then that's the saddest thing of all.

Go or don't go but do what you want. He doesn't care. Some refuse to stop going because they see that as giving in to Ashley. They don't believe for a second he intends to sell the club. Why should they stop doing what they've always done because of him? I respect that. Some are older and might not have many years left to go to football games. Some have never had the chance before. All kinds of people go to a game.

I believe a boycott is the only option for the majority but I can't disrespect those who do go. I believe in a boycott because we're a club with no sporting purpose. Everyone knows the goal is 17th next year and our 5 year plan is 17th. Our 10 year plan is 17th. The club purely exists to provide a free advertising vehicle for sports direct on a global stage. Any extra revenue that can be siphoned out of the club is being done so by effectively asset stripping (selling club land for student flats) or player sales. A third relegation is eventually inevitable. While there are even worse owners than Ashley, I'm willing to roll the dice because what faces us is guaranteed pointlessness and, given his age and clear reluctance to sell, it could go on for a very long time.

If the situation with Ashley makes fans turn on other fans, then that's the saddest thing of all.

Go or don't go but do what you want. He doesn't care. Some refuse to stop going because they see that as giving in to Ashley. They don't believe for a second he intends to sell the club. Why should they stop doing what they've always done because of him? I respect that. Some are older and might not have many years left to go to football games. Some have never had the chance before. All kinds of people go to a game.

I believe a boycott is the only option for the majority but I can't disrespect those who do go. I believe in a boycott because we're a club with no sporting purpose. Everyone knows the goal is 17th next year and our 5 year plan is 17th. Our 10 year plan is 17th. The club purely exists to provide a free advertising vehicle for sports direct on a global stage. Any extra revenue that can be siphoned out of the club is being done so by effectively asset stripping (selling club land for student flats) or player sales. A third relegation is eventually inevitable. While there are even worse owners than Ashley, I'm willing to roll the dice because what faces us is guaranteed pointlessness and, given his age and clear reluctance to sell, it could go on for a very long time.

Great post.

Great post.

:thup:

I have an elderly relative who is going again next season. When he tells me why he is, I can't have a go at him. He's in his 80s, only really gets out of the house properly for that. He says he knows we've been s*** for ages and that the owner is poison but looks forward to the games against the better opposition so he can still see some top players. I totally agree with the idea that people need to stop going but everyone's situation and outlook is different. I was determined not to go to any home games going back about five years but when my dad was at death's door and we didn't have many more opportunities I said f*** that, I'm taking him.

Supporters having a pop at each other is just grim and achieves very little, in fact it'll make a lot of them more staunch as people don't generally like being told what to do.

That Koulibaly story is so sad man. :(

I’m sure I remember an interview from Hayden with a similar story where they were having dinner before he signed, and he was positioning salt and peppers around the table saying if the ball is here and the players are here, where would you be?

That Koulibaly story is so sad man. :(

I’m sure I remember an interview from Hayden with a similar story where they were having dinner before he signed, and he was positioning salt and peppers around the table saying if the ball is here and the players are here, where would you be?

Yeah you remember correctly, I think another player might have mentioned something similar too. Clearly does it to every new player he meets, we're going to miss his attention to detail so badly this season. :(

Today's the day, bye Rafa. Thank you for giving my club a little meaning for 3 years, there was always a flicker of hope left alive as long as you were there.

Bit melodramatic, but part of me feels like this.