Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I know I have said I wouldn't mind getting a more attacking manager in next, but I do have another theory about this now. Rafa is one of the most intelligent football managers I have ever come across, and if football has moved on to a  more pressing, front foot style, and the likes of Klopp are succeeding with it, I have a feeling that Rafa has already probably adapted mentally, and would just need the funds to buy the right players to implement it.

We tend to forget he was out of British football for some time, we don't really know what his style would be now with a quality squad.

Absolutely correct.

Rafa adapted to a situation where his suggestions for the squad were not being supported, and he therefore wasn't being allowed to spend money, because he didn't want the club to bring in players that he didn't want.

He basically did his best to then make the team very disciplined and tough to beat to give us the best chance possible of staying int he division. Even using the 3-5-2, which he hadn't used previously I don't think.

Pretty annoying that this is now being used as a mark against him, and being used as evidence for what his brand of football is. It's nonsense really.

Genuinely believe Rafa will have been kept in the loop all along by Staveley. He’ll be through the door within weeks of the deal being signed off.

Nah, that sounds far too good to be true.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rafa has a release clause to come back knowing the takeover was rumbling on but just couldn't stomach working for them any longer.

I really do hope its him. He can undo a decade of damage in a short space of time. He knows everything that is missing to make this a proper outfit and in to a top club. He had plans to reshape from bottom to top. Academy setup, training ground, community drives and probably SJP itself. Wouldn't be beyond realms if he also wanted to be involved in any region regeneration plans. He wants in at every level, any detail is important and all of this will move us forward at a quicker pace. As long as the owners listen to him (which they will as A: they understand to listen to experts. B: Are top level business people) then it is only going to end in success relative to the investment. If they want the club club in the world, he'll take them there.

Another manager won't be interested in any of that, just which players they can sign and he much they earn. There may be better match day managers with more glamorous styles of play, but I wouldn't trade it for all the above. The above builds a club which lasts a generation, the alternative builds a squad before moving on.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rafa has a release clause to come back knowing the takeover was rumbling on but just couldn't stomach working for them any longer.

I really do hope its him. He can undo a decade of damage in a short space of time. He knows everything that is missing to make this a proper outfit and in to a top club. He had plans to reshape from bottom to top. Academy setup, training ground, community drives and probably SJP itself. Wouldn't be beyond realms if he also wanted to be involved in any region regeneration plans. He wants in at every level, any detail is important and all of this will move us forward at a quicker pace. As long as the owners listen to him (which they will as A: they understand to listen to experts. B: Are top level business people) then it is only going to end in success relative to the investment. If they want the club club in the world, he'll take them there.

Another manager won't be interested in any of that, just which players they can sign and he much they earn. There may be better match day managers with more glamorous styles of play, but I wouldn't trade it for all the above. The above builds a club which lasts a generation, the alternative builds a squad before moving on.

Great post, couldn't agree more.

Great post, couldn't agree more.

Absolutely this, it's more than just what happens on the pitch, the club has been hollowed out and mistreated for more than a decade, we need someone that can build a club from scratch and he has all the tools. He has proven also that he can play a more expansive game when he has the tools, he'll never be another Klopp but right now we have to build the foundations for our future and he's the only man that can do it, do it good and do it in a short space of time. BHH

18 months more of Bruce to wait for Rafa or get someone else in and risk Rafa retiring after his China stint?

What a cruel cruel question and scenario you pose man :lol:

Get Bruce out and go managerless for 18 months, or put the kid's team coach in there for 18 months or something.

Sold!

If the club were really going for it, aiming to be the most successful club in world football as quickly as possible, wouldn't anyone else be a bit...underwhelmed by Rafa? He did a really good job and he was far far better than Mike Ashleys Newcastle, but is he elite level these days? I cant think of many better but Nangelsmann, Pochettino or Allegri would probably be better fits for a club with potentially unlimited resources. Whether they'd come though, is another matter, perhaps not.

If the club were really going for it, aiming to be the most successful club in world football as quickly as possible, wouldn't anyone else be a bit...underwhelmed by Rafa? He did a really good job and he was far far better than Mike Ashleys Newcastle, but is he elite level these days? I cant think of many better but Nangelsmann, Pochettino or Allegri would probably be better fits for a club with potentially unlimited resources. Whether they'd come though, is another matter, perhaps not.

Everything I saw with Rafa with us suggested to me he is still the top class manager he always has been

I can see the cold logic of that but to be frank I am way too emotionally invested and want to see Rafa return and have a swing at Europe with us. I don't think his knowledge of the club and attachment to fans counts for nothing either

Am I the only one who would want to build any success gradually?

I just think theres something really empty with the way Man City and Chelsea's achieved success. Chelsea barely even care about success now they've had it all. I'd hate for that to happen to our club after waiting so long, I'd be more than happy to wait a little longer, just as long as I could see us getting there.

Am I the only one who would want to build any success gradually?

I just think theres something really empty with the way Man City and Chelsea's achieved success. Chelsea barely even care about success now they've had it all. I'd hate for that to happen to our club after waiting so long, I'd be more than happy to wait a little longer as long as I could see us getting there.

This please

I don't see how even with all the money in the world you could instantly build a title trophy winning team anyway. The league has changed so much from when say Chelsea "bought" success. Even newly promoted teams can spunk 30/40 million on a player. You need a boss who can manage and gel together a pampered lot into a unit. We aren't needing 1 or 2 additions. Years of under investment has seen clubs pass us by. With every window they too strength widening that gap. We need a long term plan to get a core team together and then add those quality players in window by window  cycling out failed and aged acquisitions you know like a good/normal club should.

I think we need someone sensible, with a good idea of how a football club should be set up, someone more studious and at the same time, ultimately professional, with the club's long term interests at heart. For that, I can't see past Rafa for being the very best option. I don't want some gung-ho, mercenary, top billing manager coming in, I want someone who can plan for the long term, build around upgrades to every part of the club. Rafa showed what he's about and he's exactly what we need imo.

I don't see how even with all the money in the world you could instantly build a title trophy winning team anyway. The league has changed so much from when say Chelsea "bought" success. Even newly promoted teams can spunk 30/40 million on a player. You need a boss who can manage and gel together a pampered lot into a unit. We aren't needing 1 or 2 additions. Years of under investment has seen clubs pass us by. With every window they too strength widening that gap. We need a long term plan to get a core team together and then add those quality players in window by window  cycling out failed and aged acquisitions you know like a good/normal club should.

Simple answer , you can’t and we won’t .

It’s not what we want , FCB gone then a club that tries, job done.