Newcastle United vs Crystal Palace - 21/10/17 @ 15:00 - Pre match thread

Decky

Happy with the team. Keeping everybody involved, resting young talented players who will be vital at the end of season. Hoping we can be comfortable at the 60 mins mark and Mitro will get his chance. And take it. Whatever you think of Mitro, we're probably going to need him at some point.

Can understand the lineup. Was a good performance at Southampton and we were unlucky not to win in a tough away fixture. The team looked balanced. Elliott should probably save the first and the second was a gift. Lejeune was excellent bar the mistake and has a full 90 under his belt. Also add in the fact Clark's last performance wasn't great. It's harsh on Merino but Hayden's goal and performance has probably clinched it. Will be interesting to see if Mitro makes it off the bench.

Nice to see Mitro is back, hopefully we don't need him

Aye he's in instead of Gayle. Good shout as Gayle hasn't looked  effective coming on as a sub at all this season.

Didnt sound like it was through choice in rafas presser. Gayle isn't fit.

... especially considering Lejune struggled last week.

🤔

I mean with Clark being our best defender, i expected him to be straight back in considering the penalty given away from Lejune.

Rafa isn't going to bench someone for making one mistake, especially when he was really solid aside from that.

No, but I thought he would maybe use it as a reason to get our best defender back in.

Nice to see Mitro is back, hopefully we don't need him

Aye he's in instead of Gayle. Good shout as Gayle hasn't looked  effective coming on as a sub at all this season.

Gayle's injured

Still pleased with the otutcome, Gayle hasn't looked right anyway.

I'm sensing that Rafa is disappointed with Mbemba and Mitro, in training. Didn't he say they needed to save their careers here? Yet he's not even picking them on the bench.

Mitro, was obviously suspended and he's on the bench today, but Mbemba being dropped after his brief cameo at left back was slightly unjustified, based on performance alone.

is Mbmeba dead?

Rafa talked about why he and mitro haven't made the bench recently. Basically, there are only so many slots on the bench and Clark is ahead of him for CB and they have a natural fullback in gamez, likewise Gayle offered something different. Dependent on the opposition he will use different players. Also essentially told them to suck it up and fight for their places.

ah okay, I didn't see that. Seems strange, I liked him t LB but fair enough I suppose

I'm sensing that Rafa is disappointed with Mbemba and Mitro, in training. Didn't he say they needed to save their careers here? Yet he's not even picking them on the bench.

Mitro, was obviously suspended and he's on the bench today, but Mbemba being dropped after his brief cameo at left back was slightly unjustified, based on performance alone.

Yeah from the brief time I saw Gamez i preferred mbemba back there. Feel his treatment has been harsh but also don't know what happens in training, other than cat fights and slapping matches involving Diame.

Mbemba got injured on international duty - was in the team before that.

Aye that's right, he did. Just unfortunate I guess. S'pose it's fair that Manquillo continues to get his chance. Not much point bringing him in for one match then dropping him. Same as Lejeune for me.

Actually, Rafa said once that Mitrovic is hardworking and that was before West Hame game. IMO he doesn't trust him and that's the only reason. He keeps his head calm on international duties, god knows what devils get into him when he plays for us.

Seems canny harsh on Clark

Central defence is probably the one area of the team we have genuine quality competition for the shirt. You could put any one of the four contenders in there and they could do a job.

I really think you should be starting your best players and Merino is certainly one of them. That said I've

got complete trust in Rafa.

Agreed, but Merino is arguably the most versatile and therefore the best to have as an option from the bench. He'll get some game time today which will help to continue his development.