Newcastle United vs Crystal Palace - 21/10/17 @ 15:00 - Pre match thread

Decky

Actually thinking there would have been more chance of that had Lejeune not given away the penalty. Taking Lejeune out now will make it seem like he's been dropped whereas if we'd won 2-1 and Clark came back in it would just look like Clark was playing well beforehand so would have came back in anyway.

He might even throw in a little curve ball and play Clark left-back.

This has absolutely miserable defeat all over it.

This. Everything is going far too well. Had this week been normal, as in a normal Ashley ran week I'd fancy us, but now, on the back of all this possible rosy future, no chance. Nailed on Palace win.

Plus Jordan's comments.

I think it'll be a narrow win for us today. I'd prefer to see Clark back for a more familiar partnership at the back but aside from that I think it'll be the same side plus Merino.

I hope Townsend doesn't score or have one of his games. I know there's a few on here that dislike how he left but I'd still love to see Ritchie and him in the same team. Ashley or whoever was in charge of screwing that transfer last January really missed an opportunity.

This will be a tricky one.  The last thing Rafa will want is to concede an early goal on the counter attack so i wouldn't be surprised to see a cautious start from both sides.

I'd like to see Clark come back in today.  Lejuene did well last week but his lapse cost us 2 points and Clark is currently our most reliable defender so it's a no brainer for me.  It won't do Lejuene any harm to realise that you can't afford to make rash decisions in this league either. 

I'm not too sure on the LB situation as i thought Manquillo did quite well at times last week, he was positive bringing the ball out of defence and made a couple of vital headed clearances in the 1st half.  I didn't blame him for the 1st goal either, it was down to Elliott and a lack of support IMO .  That said, if he's up against Zaha today i could see him needing counselling afterwards so maybe Mbemba would be the better option?  He was good there before he got injured.

I'd definitely play Shelvey and Merino in CM, i'm expecting Palace to sit and frustrate so we need our ball players in there to find the gaps.

Don't think i'd make changes anywhere else apart from Mitrovic coming off the bench at some point.  He's served his punishment now and with Gayle f***ed we need to start utilising him.

If they are playing Townsend and Zaha up front, I'd be tempted to bring in Mbemba at CB for his pace.

We will sit deep and have Yedlin and Manquillo with the extra pace at the back.

Guest firetotheworks

Loads of times last season we dropped points when everyone was so confident and all the signs were good. [emoji38]

We'll have definitely had plenty of people saying 'it would be typical Newcastle to lose now' as well like. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we lost this, but I have confidence in whatever Rafa has planned.

Typical that a team as trash as palace, with the start they have... WIN there first game right before playing us, against chelsea of all teams. They will have the confidence now, just the type of game we fuck up. Hopefully not like!!!