Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Since August I've always felt this was the end game of the Ashley era and through all the twists, turns and anxieties of the last two or three months I've not really subscribed to the idea the deal 'is in doubt' or Ashley is 'ready to walk away'. This week - and the face to face meeting - backed that up. Amanda Staveley's people were always confident a deal could be done and they're even more so now.

Few things:

- NO formal notification of the Premier League just yet of the need to go through fit & proper persons test (these can be done VERY quickly, whatever you've read)

- Spending in January could be on the basis that takeover is close. Either an informal or formal agreement to loan/advance cash or factor in price was mentioned to me back in November - could that have been on the menu over curry? Why not?

- Ashley works in unorthodox way. This week's 'curry summit' probably proves Staveley - who met Spirit of Shankly in a pub as she was in negotiations with Liverpool' - is cut from similar cloth. That's good for establishing trust that was damaged the other week. It also proves beyond all reasonable doubt - in my opinion - that she is interested and serious.

I think this deal will be done, I think they'll be a bit of money for Rafa in January (he needs it!) and I think this pretty wretched few months will give way to a period of possibility. BUT then a new phase starts: we know nothing of Staveley, her funding, intentions or the business plan. We need full disclosure if this happens, early engagement with supporters & proof of a new era. Is she really the much hailed heroine? I suspect it's good news but we just don't know at the moment. We just know she's not Ashley!

:hmm:

Offends me so much more than the Jacuzzi gif. He does journalisming as a profession ffs.

Not sure if all these defeats is a good thing or a bad thing. Staveley might not want to take the risk if it looks like we will go down. Hopefully it forces Jabba to cut his losses.

If she's watching tonight, the fans' display will give her an idea of what we are about and that we are worth investing in.

This needs to be sorted sharpish though. On the pitch has been a disaster near enough from the moment Ashley announced we were up for sale. I do believe that a positive announcement with this will have a positive affect on the pitch too.

I think the results are irrelevant, the stadium, training ground, manager and fans tell anyone who wants to buys us just what the future holds, if you get it right.

They are totally relevant, no one is paying 300 million for a champo club, no one.

I think the results are irrelevant, the stadium, training ground, manager and fans tell anyone who wants to buys us just what the future holds, if you get it right.

They are totally relevant, no one is paying 300 million for a champo club, no one.

I meant coming into January, if we go down then obviously it's a different matter. I just mean our form now isn't a concern if you intend to buy now, should have made that clearer like.

Guest firetotheworks

It's just a shame that situations like this generally make fuck all difference to Ashley, the loathsome cunt.

I know Benitez has consistently claimed all this hasn't affected the squad and what they're doing on the training pitch etc, but it really feels like we've been wank ever since Ashley put the club up for sale. We've played eight matches and won only one, drawing one and losing all the rest.

Do people think it's actively hurting us right now or is it just a convenient excuse?

I know Benitez has consistently claimed all this hasn't affected the squad and what they're doing on the training pitch etc, but it really feels like we've been wank ever since Ashley put the club up for sale. We've played eight matches and won only one, drawing one and losing all the rest.

Do people think it's actively hurting us right now or is it just a convenient excuse?

It feels like we’re in limbo to me, no clear direction at all and it’s reflected in the stands and on the pitch. I think it’s even affecting Benítez himself.

Bit of both i think.

Guest firetotheworks

I think there are too many other things going on with injuries, formations, team selection, form etc to say with any conviction tbh, but you could easily argue that a combination of all of them can all be attributable.

Dunno tbh. The surface-level lack of progress - combined with the fear that it's all going to collapse - is contributing to the overall anxiety, but the players we have aren't good enough and a run like this wasn't unlikely.

"It's so simple. You have to improve these positions, so if I am a player, I will try to give my best to make sure it's not my position. I will compete and I will say, 'I will be the best, so don't look for anyone in my position'. It's nothing against our players. Our players are fantastic because they are giving everything but if you can find another one who is better than someone in a position then we have to do it."

Maybe the players have a crisis of confidence because of the takeover talk?