Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yeah that's what I think, then after he does they'll paint his demands as unrealistic, there will be outcry for a week or so, Sherwood will come in, we'll sign some players and there will a full stadium first game of the season

Sherwood is favourite for the QPR job.

Yeah that's what I think, then after he does they'll paint his demands as unrealistic, there will be outcry for a week or so, Sherwood will come in, we'll sign some players and there will a full stadium first game of the season

Sherwood is favourite for the QPR job.

It's like people haven't paid attention to previous events :lol:

Its nice to have two pundits have a serious debate about Newcastle without resorting to saying Ashley is a great businessman and saved Newcastle.

I do disagree with Neville saying Newcastle not being in London is a big disadvantage. Even if we had an ambitious owner it might stop us from serious competing with the big 6, but it doesn't explain why we can't compete with teams we should be competing like Leicester and Everton. These clubs get good managers, buy quality players for big money, pay big wages, upgrade their facilities and overall just do everything they can to make their club more attractive. We have done none of those or even try to be innovative in any way all the club does is plead poverty despite the club earning millions in tv money and shake their heads when people point how bad they are at running the football club.

I think there is something to it tbh. I think essentially players do want to live in London and if they are being asked not to will expect some other perk to attract them. If it can't be opportunity to win things it's likely to be wages. History of the club will matter to some but not that much I suspect. We do have a perk though which will attract players, opportunity to work with Rafa. If we lose that we are back to having to outbid london clubs for wages...which won't happen.

Am I the only one who thinks Carragher was cued into that line of questioning in the Sky interview? Rafa was given free rein to speak his mind, aided by some friendly, guiding questions.

It makes me hopeful that Rafa is indeed desperate to stay, and that he’s willing to fight to stay. I’d assumed he’d shrugged his shoulders and was marking time until his contract expired.

For in NUFC looking to survive in the PL or aiming for mid table finishes, I don't think being in the North East makes any difference to attracting players. The stadium, the fanbase, the money on offer, the reputation, the manager, the potential to turn into a higher tier team/club, those kinds of things will be more important for the types of players we'd be after. I think at this point in time players would choose NUFC over the likes of Fulham and Crystal Palace for these reasons if we were competing with them.

If we were looking to compete with the likes of Arsenal and Spurs for players, then the London factor would of course be a factor, but even then I think most footballers don't really care all that much because they're kinda thick/have low standards (ties in with football being a working mans sport). Alot of the time it's more to do with a demanding or entitled WAG who wants to be in a posh location worthy of bragging about that has fashion events, premieres, Michelin starred restaurants, etc etc, in the vicinity. Victoria Beckham for example wouldn't have allowed David to ever sign for NUFC at any stage of his career because of the region.

I remember there being a story in the press about Pablo Aimar wanting to sign for NUFC under Keegan, but his wife throwing a fit in front of Keegan/Ashley because she hated the weather/location. Probably a true story given that we did appear try to sign him at a time when he was cheap, though in hindsight wouldn't be surprised if that was just a bullshit story put out by Ashley because his lot weren't ever going to meet the wage demands.

I'm not suggesting it's impossible to sign players if you're not a London club ffs it's just one of the things players will consider, some players might say prefer Palace and would only go to us for a bit more money. That may reasonably be reason not to go for that players but you want to have things that make you attractive a destination for players which may bring price and wage demands down. We can't do much about location to be fair, but stuff like looking like we gave a damn about winning trophies now and then and training facilities at least on par with rest of league would help and we fail at them.

The London thing is definitely a factor, but mainly because of the lack of ambition, would London still be a major pull away from a Newcastle United side fighting for cup competitions and challenging for top 6 aspirations? Success and ambition along with a highly decorated manager have a huge pull. Ashley is and will always be the problem, not geographic location.

I feel it's a bit of a red herring - we're not going to compete with Arsenal, Chelsea or Tottenham (at least for a long time), and if players are choosing Palace or Fulham over us because of location, then they don't have the right attitude to represent our club.

Wet Spam is pretty much the only club where we'd be disappointed to lose a player too if they chose London over us.

Enough foreign players have said they miss Tuscany or Spain but it all depends where they come from. I like Slovakia as a country but I can imagine Dubravka is enjoying being in a regional capital in the UK. It’s a factor but there’s nuance and it would undoubtedly be made easier by a secure managerial situation and ambitious ownership.

Ah, this is to explain why there will be no investment in the squad, Rafa will leave, Shelvey and Lascelles will be sold, Rondon not be signed and Ashley transfers all the funds to his other companies. All in all, nothing new..

Guest chopey

Are we worth £300M? If you had a spare £300M lying about, would you take a punt on us? Open question to everyone.

According to one report today three different groups are looking to buy Chelsea for £2.5 billion, I think £300 million for us is a bargain.