Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's not borrowing against the tv money specifically. Any company that takes out a loan will need to grant security over an income stream to support it. Typically, any bank will ask for that loan to be secured against as many assets/income streams as possible. The TV money is naturally included in that.

It's not that the TV money is being paid to the bank, its just being used as security should the club default on the loan. It's pretty standard practice.

There was mention he repaid some of his loans in the summer so there wasn't actually all that cash available. Could be why.

how the hell does he value the cub at £300m then - because its a cash cow for the fat c***.

Surely a club making money means it's worth decent cash to an investor

Is this not just re-establishing the clubs revolving credit facility - overdraft.

It’s a cash flow thing nothing else

We've only previously had that when we've been relegated though haven't we ? And that's always been paid back on promotion.

One positive is that it indicates that Ashley has been 'paying himself back' a huge amount of money and, if we do stay up this season, we might no longer be in debt to him. That could make the sale of the club much more straightforward.

this sort of naievity really needs looking at. he is taking money out without reducing the debt.

Guest Howaythetoon

One positive is that it indicates that Ashley has been 'paying himself back' a huge amount of money and, if we do stay up this season, we might no longer be in debt to him. That could make the sale of the club much more straightforward.

this sort of naievity really needs looking at. he is taking money out without reducing the debt.

Do we know that? The accounts wont be available for scrutiny till next year

Yes, we wont know until the accounts are published but he may have taken money out as a dividend rather than loan repayment

I know that's the suspicion but does anyone know that yet? I mean I`ve probably read the same as most on here but don't remember whether the rumoured "repayment" has been confirmed as loan or dividend. 

The Mag's take

However, Newcastle United (via September 2018 fans forum minutes) stated that they had they tried to buy a number of players in summer 2018 beyond the £16.8m 14 year old club transfer record, indicating they had the finance to do so, only for players to supposedly turn the club down.

Those same Fans Forum minutes also said that once the transfer window ended, an unspecified amount of the cash that hadn’t been spent in the summer, was instead taken out of the club by Mike Ashley against his personal ‘loans’ to his own football club.

So, whilst definitely this new loan from Barclays is to do with buying  players, it is clearly also  in one way or another being used to cover money Ashley has/is taking out of the club as well. Either to cover the cash he took out after the transfer window so that money is now there to pay for these signings, or even possibly for the owner to take more out now, as well as to buy players.

No need to be so cunty, I was only trying to grasp at possible positives in a sea shit. I am far from naive.

No need to be so cunty, I was only trying to grasp at possible positives in a sea s***. I am far from naive.

Even if he has paid himself back it's not really helping matters. I think most of us assumed his 300mil asking price was inclusive of the debt but if he has paid himself a chunk of debt back and is still asking 300Mil then that would be another matter entirely.

No need to be so cunty, I was only trying to grasp at possible positives in a sea s***. I am far from naive.

Even if he has paid himself back it's not really helping matters. I think most of us assumed his 300mil asking price was inclusive of the debt but if he has paid himself a chunk of debt back and is still asking 300Mil then that would be another matter entirely.

Isn't the common consensus that he values the club at around £200m + the / his loans (& original debt incurred whilst paying off the club loan for developing the ground (70m?)). In reality, those debts are a consequence of his poor stewardship /lack of DD when buying the club so he`s clearly intent on having his cake etc.

I know that's the suspicion but does anyone know that yet? I mean I`ve probably read the same as most on here but don't remember whether the rumoured "repayment" has been confirmed as loan or dividend.

Doesn't really make any difference, it's all payments from NUFC ultimately to MASH Holdings. Nor to Jackie's question does it really impact the sale of the club in terms of structure. Where it does make an impact is that an under-invested business will be worth less than one which is more stable and does not require remedial spending.

As for the filing of security, chances are we've put in an overdraft facility. It's only recently the club terminated the previous arrangement with Barclays as it has more than enough cash so ditched the overdraft. It's a short-term cash need awaiting assured PL funds so that would be a sensible approach.

Does suggest to me that Ashley recouped around £40-50m last summer.

Isn't the common consensus that he values the club at around £200m + the loan (& original debt incurred whilst paying off the club loan for developing the ground (70m?). So in reality, he`

Apologies if that's the case, I always thought it was 300 all in.

Isn't the common consensus that he values the club at around £200m + the loan (& original debt incurred whilst paying off the club loan for developing the ground (70m?). So in reality, he`

I think you'll find the now common consensus is the sale talk is just utter bullshit, i hope not but like all people who cry wolf we have a hard time believing anything the fat slob says.

It does. If Ashley sold the club, inclusive of £140m debt for £300m he would be not much more than braking even on what he paid for the club. If the club clears the debt first and he sells for £300m he'll make more than £150m profit.

No need to be so cunty, I was only trying to grasp at possible positives in a sea shit. I am far from naive.

apologies but cunty is my default position.

apologies but cunty is my default position.

That's cool, we need another one of those.