The other games today 2018/19

Greg

Unlike goal line technology, these decisions aren't binary.

FA and refereeing bodies should put full faith, trust and support into existing referees in the game.

All this money and energy put into this could very easily be used to further the use of goal line technology down the football league, and improving refereeing standards across the board. 

In 10 years time, if not sooner, if there is a recognised system that is accepted across Europe and Worldwide football, then yeah go for it. Until then it's a waste of time.

If the linesman calls an offside an it is marginally onside, that won't be called back and reviewed. It's a free-kick and the game restarts.

You're effectively favouring a defensive team, the attacking team has little or nothing to gain. 

This isn't true is it? The first VAR goal -  Iheanacho for Leicester was called offside reviewed and then goal given.

Does anyone in here still think VAR is a good idea?  [emoji38]

Only if they use it like Tennis/Cricket where each team gets a review, so anything that's obvious can get overturned like Aguero being a mile offside against us

What we're seeing now is a farce and always will be

If the linesman calls an offside an it is marginally onside, that won't be called back and reviewed. It's a free-kick and the game restarts.

You're effectively favouring a defensive team, the attacking team has little or nothing to gain. 

This isn't true is it? The first VAR goal -  Iheanacho for Leicester was called offside reviewed and then goal given.

In such an instance, what happens if a covering defender stops running because it's been called offside when he could have still effected the attacker otherwise?

Striker goes through scores, gets given a goal - defender can't then change his decision and start defending again.

In such an instance, what happens if a covering defender stops running because it's been called offside when he could have still effected the attacker otherwise?

Striker goes through scores, gets given a goal - defender can't then change his decision and start defending again.

Down to the ref blowing the whistle which he didnt for the Leicester goal

Defender should play to the whistle not the flag. It's only offside when gone referee blows not when the flag goes up. If the referee blows for offside he has to be sure it's offside.

I was in total agreement with the discussion on On The Continent recently re: offside (23:30 here if anyone wants to listen: https://www.acast.com/onthecontinent/odegaard-aubameyangandtheoffsidelaw)

I hate all this precise examination of heads, shoulders, knees and toes (knees and toes). It's really not what the law was designed to eliminate from the game i.e. blatant goal poaching.

20 years ago, if someone generally looked level, they were level and everyone was happy with it. Now that we have HD TVs, we've got the camera looking for a shoe lace creeping in front of the last defender.

Defender should play to the whistle not the flag. It's only offside when gone referee blows not when the flag goes up. If the referee blows for offside he has to be sure it's offside.

Don't agree, whilst the defender will play to the whistle, it will still have an effect - even on the attacker stopping, defender stops - but referee decides to rely on VAR, ignore lino and a second attacker runs on to pick up the ball and score.

I was in total agreement with the discussion on On The Continent recently re: offside (23:30 here if anyone wants to listen: https://www.acast.com/onthecontinent/odegaard-aubameyangandtheoffsidelaw)

I hate all this precise examination of heads, shoulders, knees and toes (knees and toes). It's really not what the law was designed to eliminate from the game i.e. blatant goal poaching.

20 years ago, if someone generally looked level, they were level and everyone was happy with it. Now that we have HD TVs, we've got the camera looking for a shoe lace creeping in front of the last defender.

Heard that, and would be in agreement.

Juve's penalty that was, but wasn't against Fiorentina was called back by a minimal, yet still questionable touch leading to an offside.

Whilst there will always be outlying situations in football that will further the cause for VAR (West Ham goal earlier this season, Hand of God etc.) the bread and butter, and bulk of decisions it's used for are just an extra level of human decision in the interpretation of the laws.

I've had this gripe for a long time. I just wish referees were competent enough that it could to an extent be a subjective call as to whether the player got an unfair advantage, or was simply quicker off the mark than the defender. We just know that would unfortunately result in a whole different load of carnage.

Is it just me or have Huddersfield massively hindered themselves by focusing on Man U's left? They haven't particularly looked like breaking them down through it. If they've whipped a cross in it's not caused much bother. Shaw's not exactly shite, I don't get it.