Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Tricky one

Dubs is the better keeper but it would be slightly harsh on darlow to lose his place.

This is the sort of mentality though that Bruce stuck with when he went 4-4-2 against Brighton because it’d be unfair on Carroll to leave him out.

Disagree with that. There is barely anything between the two keepers. Darlow has shown he has improved since his younger days for us in the championship, he has more than earned the right to keep his place. I don’t see that the same as playing a striker for one game after he’s had a decent game, which at the time was probably fair enough.

Tricky one

Dubs is the better keeper but it would be slightly harsh on darlow to lose his place.

This is the sort of mentality though that Bruce stuck with when he went 4-4-2 against Brighton because it’d be unfair on Carroll to leave him out.

Disagree with that. There is barely anything between the two keepers. Darlow has shown he has improved since his younger days for us in the championship, he has more than earned the right to keep his place. I don’t see that the same as playing a striker for one game after he’s had a decent game, which at the time was probably fair enough.

That's not true, Dubravka transformed us defensively on his arrival, prior to that most of us would be shitting ourselves whenever we faced a long range effort or a cross. For that contribution alone Dubravka deserves the loyalty. Not to mention he's a far better distributor of the ball, equally as good (or better) at shot stopping, better in one on one situations, better command of his area, better hands, more communicative, a bigger personality, a better leader and an experienced international.

(or what ON said very succinctly)

The main difference that I have noticed is that while I think they are both above average shot stoppers, Dubs tends to hang on to more balls than Darlow who just gets his hands to them and then nothing more, often putting it right back into the mix. On that metric alone, Dubs is the #1 and should be starting now that he's fit again. Really harsh on Darlow but thems the breaks as a backup.

I think Dubravka commands the box better (his high catch is incredible IMO) and is generally better at distribution.

First thing I noticed about him in his first few weeks here. Really excels in that area and it's a very important attribute too, particularly for a team set up to absorb so much pressure as we are. Sets him apart.

He literally won player of the season last year and we’re going to end up letting him go in the summer for a minimal fee because Bruce is an idiot.

This.

Darlow has done much better than anyone could have foreseen, but Dubravka has been (mostly) excellent since he arrived here.

I don’t disagree, but the amount he improves us is minimal.

There’s a fair chance we’d have went down our first season back without him. We’d just dropped into the bottom 3 before the Man Utd match. He had a blinder and our results picked up overall. One of the main reasons was we had a good Premier League keeper rather than a Championship one.

I don’t disagree, but the amount he improves us is minimal.

There’s a fair chance we’d have went down our first season back without him. We’d just dropped into the bottom 3 before the Man Utd match. He had a blinder and our results picked up overall. One of the main reasons was we had a good Premier League keeper rather than a Championship one.

I don’t doubt Dubravka is our best keeper, I just don’t think at this current point in time there’s as big a gap between them as you say. I don’t personally think it’s affecting results either, i don’t think our defence is suffering, I think we would be in the same position had ol Dubs not got injured. We are blessed to have both.

Don’t agree, when we last switched from Darlow to Dubravka the team were immediately able to play 5m higher up the pitch because of how well he commands the area and distributes. Darlow coming back has coincided with a backwards regression.

This is why Dubravka must return immediately.

Don’t agree, when we last switched from Darlow to Dubravka the team were immediately able to play 5m higher up the pitch because of how well he commands the area and distributes. Darlow coming back has coincided with a backwards regression.

How have you got stats that show you the defence were 5m higher up the pitch? Impressive if you have.

Could that be why dubravkas mins per goal conceded is worse over less games?

How have you got stats that show you the defence were 5m higher up the pitch? Impressive if you have.

Could that be why dubravkas mins per goal conceded is worse over less games?

Don’t know what you’re getting at here. Dubravka 117 conceded in 88 games (1.3 per game), Darlow 62 conceded in 41 games (1.5 per game).

In the PL for us, Dubravka concedes a goal every 67.7 minutes. Darlow every 59.5. There've been 26/88 clean sheets for Dubravka and 9/41 for Darlow.

MickMack appears to be including The Championship, though, in which case he'd be correct but skewing stats somewhat.

Fairly rudimentary way of judging keepers in this day and age, regardless.