Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Aye. I'm hoping when Dubravka does eventually get back in people remember why he was signed in the first place. Even though Darlow has improved quite significantly and it's a lot closer than it was, for all of the other reasons people have mentioned in addition to their almost identical shot-stopping ability Dubravka is still the better 'keeper. If we had a manager of any quality the change would already have been made.

In the PL for us, Dubravka concedes a goal every 67.7 minutes. Darlow every 59.5. There've been 26/88 clean sheets for Dubravka and 9/41 for Darlow.

MickMack appears to be including The Championship, though, in which case he'd be correct but skewing stats somewhat.

Fairly rudimentary way of judging keepers in this day and age, regardless.

Fair play Hoogan, i lazily looked at a stat site and thought it was for this season only.

Players are allowed to improve, I feel Darlow has done that, and earns the right to keep his place until the next error.

One thing we can’t complain about is our goalkeeping coach as our first and second choice have kept us in this league the last two seasons, if we stay up this season obviously.

Is not making an error enough though when you’ve got a keeper sitting on the bench who’s as good if not an even better shot stopper, but has everything else to go with it?

Dubravka’s faced 378 shots on target and conceded 117 (saved 69% of shots on target).

Darlow’s faced 198 shots on target and conceded 62 (saved 68% of shots on target).

When those figures are that close, you’ve got to look beyond mere shot stopping and ‘not making mistakes’.

In the PL for us, Dubravka concedes a goal every 67.7 minutes. Darlow every 59.5. There've been 26/88 clean sheets for Dubravka and 9/41 for Darlow.

MickMack appears to be including The Championship, though, in which case he'd be correct but skewing stats somewhat.

Fair play Hoogan, i lazily looked at a stat site and thought it was for this season only.

Players are allowed to improve, I feel Darlow has done that, and earns the right to keep his place until the next error.

One thing we can’t complain about is our goalkeeping coach as our first and second choice have kept us in this league the last two seasons, if we stay up this season obviously.

Not sure Dubravkas quality has much to do with our coach, he was clearly top class when he arrived, and should walk back into the first team when he's fit. Darlow has had a good run, but for me he's a flapper, he's not confident plucking the ball out of the air amongst other things, Dubravka is the number 1 for a reason.

No room for sentiment.

Dubravka should be #1 if fit, no ifs, no buts, he's the better keeper and as harsh as it seems on Darlow, there's no room for feelings here. Darlow has had his best form for us since Dubs has been out injured but Dubs really could be the difference between staying up and going down.

Darlow's improvement has been encouraging, but Dubs is simply a better keeper. He's not massively better at anything [except maybe crosses, Love Dubs coming for them, still panic with Darlow], but he is minimally better at everything, and overall a far superior keeper.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to drop your keeper to improve the team, much like you do with every other position on the pitch. You don't wait for your right back to make a mistake before replacing him with a better right back, you do it for the good of the team.

Far too much emotion is placed in the "the shirt is yours to lose" shit for keepers. Get Dubravka back in asap.

Aye I agree Dubravka should be back in now. Fair enough giving Darlow a few extra games even once Dubravka was fit but it’s not like Darlow is undroppable now. In the 5 games since Dubravka has been fit Darlow has conceded 9 goals so it wouldn’t even be that harsh to drop him.

Not sure Dubravkas quality has much to do with our coach, he was clearly top class when he arrived, and should walk back into the first team when he's fit. Darlow has had a good run, but for me he's a flapper, he's not confident plucking the ball out of the air amongst other things, Dubravka is the number 1 for a reason.

No room for sentiment.

I think you could argue the coaching plays a major part. In the same way most of our outfield players have regressed, Sean Longstaff looking like the prime example, the fact Darlow waited so long to get his chance again, and to be more a less the same keeper as Dubravka (ref optimistic nuts 69% 68% stat) is a testament to the goalkeeper coaching and the players themselves.

FWIW I thought Dubravka was dropping some clangers before he got injured, ones we haven’t seen Darlow make since he came back in. That’s not to say I wouldn’t still have him back in.

Forgetting he's the better keeper if nothing else but just to freshen up the team and try something different. Because the run we've been on is shocking. We saw at Everton a change of (manager) formation, tactics plus players in from the cold like Manquillo can push you towards better results. Plus Darlow could have done a lot better with some of the goals since Dubs has been fit. Thinking arsenal and villa games.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe he's not back in!

Darlow has done very well but has been shaky as lately - the number of times he's came out and flapped / missed crosses and has gone unpunished is crackers!

Dubravka is a better keeper and has to be in on Sunday!

Darlow has always been prone to parrying and punching (flapping I'd say), where as with Dubravka, the ball sticks more often than not. Besides that, he's a commanding presence. We have a captain in Lascelles who isn't the most vocal so we really need a big presence in the back line. For instance yesterday, when Werner runs onto the pitch completely unchecked, you are looking to your leaders to be going fucking wild ensuring someone is picking him up. But no, radio silence from the coaches, the centre half captain, and the keeper - all three of which have the opportunity to see play developing more than others.

Fuck off was he at fault for that Ward-Prowse goal. I want Dubravka in the team. But what are people seeing here? It’s in the postage stamp. Basically side netting, scraping the bar and post on the way in. I don’t think any keeper in world football is saving that. Absolute drivel.

Darlow has done very well but has been shaky as lately - the number of times he's came out and flapped / missed crosses and has gone unpunished is crackers!

Yeah 100% even though Dubravka can be partial to the odd howler, he commands the area, is more vocal and his distribution is far better. Unfortunately Bruce won’t have realised any of these factors and will not want to rock the boat with one of the English lads.

Basically he’s on the bench until Darlow hoys the ball into the back of his own net or is injured.

Yeah 100% even though Dubravka can be partial to the odd howler, he commands the area, is more vocal and his distribution is far better. Unfortunately Bruce won’t have realised any of these factors and will not want to rock the boat with one of the English lads.

Basically he’s on the bench until Darlow hoys the ball into the back of his own net or is injured.

The sort of call that will see us relegated.

Aye just waiting for him to make a mistake doesn't seem like the most sensible policy, and an unsurprisingly antiquated way of approaching things. Guess Bruce only sees shot-stopping as the only place where you get net gain out of your keeper. He's saved loads of shots, so the shirt's his!

See Tuchel's interview last night for his take on an admittedly slightly different, but similar, situation with his keepers. Very clear and decisive as to the situation. Mendy is the number 1 despite Kepa being in the side for the last couple of games.

Aye just waiting for him to make a mistake doesn't seem like the most sensible policy, and an unsurprisingly antiquated way of approaching things. Guess Bruce only sees shot-stopping as the only place where you get net gain out of your keeper. He's saved loads of shots, so the shirt's his!

See Tuchel's interview last night for his take on an admittedly slightly different, but similar, situation with his keepers. Very clear and decisive as to the situation. Mendy is the number 1 despite Kepa being in the side for the last couple of games.

:thup: