Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

2 minutes ago, MagMal said:

Or could be a ffp sacrificial lamb?

Absolutely not no. He’s one of the few home grown players we have for Europe and is a functional member of the squad. 

Also, it’s the sun. Zero credibility 

This lad is homegrown at the club, and good enough to start/be in the squad next season. There's no way he is being sold. In terms of the UEFA rules on homegrown players he is invaluable to us at the moment. And given he is 26, and how long it could take to see the fruits of a revamped academy, he likely will be for a chunk of the rest of his career. 

I’d say he’s the weakest member of the first team now. Not sure he’s even really good enough to be on the bench for a CL team if we’re being totally honest. 

What people say about the homegrown thing is true, but I would be absolutely fine with selling him if we had a plan for the midfield. 

Not that I believe anything in the papers about transfers. 

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’d say he’s the weakest member of the first team now. Not sure he’s even really good enough to be on the bench for a CL team if we’re being totally honest. 

What people say about the homegrown thing is true, but I would be absolutely fine with selling him if we had a plan for the midfield. 

Him, Burn & Almiron. Longstaff's replacement is surely at the club already though.

we need 4 club homegrown players to be able to register a full 25-man squad in Europe. 

I'd imagine Dummett will be off this summer, so Longstaff and Anderson would be the only 2 from next season (Miley doesn't need to be registered). Sell Longstaff and you can only register 22 for Europe. 

1 minute ago, Smal said:

we need 4 club homegrown players to be able to register a full 25-man squad in Europe. 

I'd imagine Dummett will be off this summer, so Longstaff and Anderson would be the only 2 from next season (Miley doesn't need to be registered). Sell Longstaff and you can only register 22 for Europe. 

But we can register Miley anyway.

If we are so concerned with European registration, we can sign an academy graduate GK for free most likely.

3 minutes ago, Smal said:

Bring back Woodman and/or Krul as reserve keepers. Always do that on FM :yao:

Edited by The Butcher

3 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Bring back Woodman and/or Krul as reserve keepers. Always do that on FM :yao:

tbh it makes way more sense than having Karius and Gillespie on the books

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

How?

he doesn't need to be registered to play in Europe so there's no upside at all to registering him. It would literally just be taking up a squad space for zero benefit. 

14 minutes ago, Smal said:

he doesn't need to be registered to play in Europe so there's no upside at all to registering him. It would literally just be taking up a squad space for zero benefit. 

It allows us to register another non-HG player.

So if we have 3 HG club players or 7 national HG players. We can only register 23 players. But if we register 4 we can register 25 players = a net +1 of non-HG players.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It allows us to register another non-HG player.

So if we have 3 HG club players or 7 national HG players. We can only register 23 players. But if we register 4 we can register 25 players = a net +1 of non-HG players.

The 25 has to include 4 club home grown and 8 national homegrown players. Anyone who is club home grown also counts as national homegrown. If we had 3 club homegrown players then we'd have to leave a slot free so could register 24 players.

Registering Miley on top of that would make us 4 homegrown players and 25 players, but Miley doesn't need to be registered to play so it doesn't make any sense to register him to take up a spot. Might as well leave that slot free in case you need to make an emergency signing of say a Krul/Forster/Woodman in January or something. There's literally no benefit in registering a homegrown under 21 player for Europe and having them take up a spot. They are effectively free. 

Its pretty clear now Longstaff is a good squad player, and needs both Bruno and Joelinton next to him otherwise he doesn't have the presence and gets exposed. 

4 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I take your point and agree with it if going off the eye test. Yet not long ago after a tough start to season without him he came back into the side and we started winning and keeping clean sheets again and the general consensus was “I can’t believe I’m saying this but we miss Longstaff..” etc.

I agree though I always feel a tinge of sadness when you sell a local lad.

It's tricky with Longstaff because we do seem to have played our best stuff with him in the side. Joelinton and Bruno were by far our most prolific midfielders last season for defensive work, iirc, they got through more tackles, interceptions, clearances than anyone else in that area and they cover distance as well. I'd say Joelinton isn't positionally sound though, his great defensive work seems to be winning duels in central and wide areas but good teams have found him wanting when his back is turned and he's not sure what's behind him - bit of a hallmark of him not traditionally being a mid perhaps. Bruno is great defensively, imo, apart from when covering breaks.

Longstaff seems to do the better positional covering than Joelinton and has a bit more athleticism than Bruno, but he's obviously a lot weaker on the ball (does have his moments, tbf).

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

It's tricky with Longstaff because we do seem to have played our best stuff with him in the side. Joelinton and Bruno were by far our most prolific midfielders last season for defensive work, iirc, they got through more tackles, interceptions, clearances than anyone else in that area and they cover distance as well. I'd say Joelinton isn't positionally sound though, his great defensive work seems to be winning duels in central and wide areas but good teams have found him wanting when his back is turned and he's not sure what's behind him - bit of a hallmark of him not traditionally being a mid perhaps. Bruno is great defensively, imo, apart from when covering breaks.

Longstaff seems to do the better positional covering than Joelinton and has a bit more athleticism than Bruno, but he's obviously a lot weaker on the ball (does have his moments, tbf).

Agree with this, but to take us to the next level we need a bit more quality on the ball. However I think Tonali makes that role his own.

2 minutes ago, TheHoob said:

We are going to need to sell players at some point for FFP, it's not always going to be a case of shipping out the shite unfortunately. 

Kuol is probably an FFP sell, possibly Minteh.