Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Only saw the last 15 minutes today as I've mentioned but thought he played a huge role in seeing that out. He's got an engine on him, just sadly next to nothing else. Him, Fraser, Miggy - they're all like that. 

Really really want him to come good L. 

18 hours ago, Disco said:

Thought he was our best player for the last 30 minutes, was everywhere. Saw something today that showed he’s actually a pressing fiend too.

FJoc0GUXoAIlxrx?format=png&name=large

Which isn’t something that would pass the eye test.

Didn't @ManDoonhave stats showing he has one of the lowest in the league? :lol: 0.4 per game or something? Maybe the truth's somewhere in the middle

18 hours ago, Consortium of one said:

Still a player there, apparently   Good shift.  He can press.  Has to learn to keep his head up when on the ball.

By the time he gets his head up, the moment to pass will already have gone. 

18 hours ago, Disco said:

Thought he was our best player for the last 30 minutes, was everywhere. Saw something today that showed he’s actually a pressing fiend too.

FJoc0GUXoAIlxrx?format=png&name=large

Which isn’t something that would pass the eye test.

Also note how high Joelinton is on that graph and hes only played that role since Howe came in, given a full season he could be top on that.

Edited by Nine

Looked a man possessed when he come on, lots of pressing, energy and also gave some decent protection cover. Still bobbins though!

3 minutes ago, Klaus said:

He was better yesterday and put a good shift in, but sadly he just doesn't have the quality or the pace we need.

He's improving. I hope it continues. Dropped for the game yesterday but took his opportunity when it came, rather than going in  a strop. I do feel his clash with Bruce was 6 and half a dozen, and it would have been best for everybody if he left, but he seems to buying into Howe and if he can get back on course with his development, he can still catch up. Don't think he'll increase his speed much, but his reading of the game could improve enough to cover some of that.

Guest Biggsbond14

Had a great cameo when he came on and thought he played with a bit more composure. Think he did most of his stuff on our left midfield and he had lots of space but not sure if that was bad marking or just genuinely playing well 

I’ve liked him, or been wanting him to do well, ever since those great performances under Rafa. He’s let us down too often and I’m still not convinced, but I’d keep him for now. May be a player there.

56 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I’ve been enjoying these sorts of graphs lately. 

So Longstaff Is good at pressing. Not so good once he gets the ball. 

Not that surprised tbh, he does chase players down, if somewhat clumsily at times. The main issue is as you say, his use of the ball once he's got it isn't that great. But I still prefer him to Shelvey, I think he puts more pressure on the opposition, even if Shelvey has more quality on the ball.

Out of contract in the summer.

Do we want to keep him? Would he want to stay?

I assume if we want to keep him we will be able to agree a suitable contract.

Rejoining Rafa is not an option right now with Rafa out of work.

I like to keep local lads/academy products whenever possible.  Boiled my piss watching Steve Watson play for Everton and Villa all those years. 

At the same time, he does not appear to have developed as we thought he might a few years ago and does not really look good enough for where we aspire to be (assuming we stay up).

12 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

Dummett, Shar and Longstaff should not have their contracts renewed.   Let them all go, we need a start the full removal   of the old squad.

I'd give Schar another year as a useful back up but I doubt he'd want it anyway.

• 1 month later...

How did he do after he came on? I have a feeling Howe still sees a player in there and might get him looking half decent again, assuming he can find a way to get in the team.