Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

There was a couple of occasions where he just leathered it where he could've played a simple pass, and a couple of occasions where he should've released it but didn't. He didn't have a bad game, and won some important fouls, but I just thought he was a bit lacklustre in possession. Like I say, the week he's had will have had a part to play in that I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

Aye I don't get the hate for him. He's not great but he rarely does anything that bad either. He had the key years of his development stunted by Mrs Doubtfire after all.

Not sure I'd agree with this, gets caught on the ball too often, especially when he has time to pass it and his passing can be very sloppy at times

However barring that one counter he created for them I thought he was very good today, covers a lot of ground

I can’t get on his back too much like. Absolutely played his part in this run of form. He’s doing well in a side that is performing well above expectations.

Edited by AJ9

1 hour ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Not sure I'd agree with this, gets caught on the ball too often, especially when he has time to pass it and his passing can be very sloppy at times

However barring that one counter he created for them I thought he was very good today, covers a lot of ground

Love his effort and work rate but his dwelling on ball is a huge weakness in his game.

He got robbed of possession today on the edge of their box and Kane almost scored.

He is improving game on game though and he looks as mobile as he's ever done.

1 hour ago, AJ9 said:

I can’t get on his back too much like. Absolutely played his part in this run of form. He’s doing well in a side that is performing well above expectations.

Exactly this, played his part in keeping the points rolling in whilst giving time to injuries to come back thus removing the pressure - fair play to him, willock and Murphy as I never expect anything of these three yet here we are with 13 from last 15 points.

I'm fairly sure Bruno uncharacteristically lost the ball at least twice in possession today, Trippier at least once, Joelinton too. We just won away at WHL vs a Spurs team sitting third in the league, focus on the amazing graft and intelligence to nick the ball out of the air towards Sessegnon and also direct it to Almiron for the goal. Any other player on that header would have skied it or put it straight back to Lloris. For me, Shelvey's going to have to work very hard to displace Longstaff atm. There's so much he does off the ball, it's no coincedence we're picking up some amazing results with him as part of our midfield.

I thought first 15 minutes he was poor, but after that he was actually very decent and was actually taking players on. He will probably be moved on or at best a squad player a year or two as we start replacing with European level quality. He is a bit unlucky that when he does lose the ball or has a misplaced pass, it often results in an opportunity for the opposition. Thought he did well today though. 

Unless he wants to leave he'll still here in 2/3yrs time. Obviously by as soon as this coming summer you'd imagine he'll only be a squad player, but if he's happy with that there's no reason to actively sell him/let him leave. 

Start of the first half he drew a bit of ire from me like. Didn't seem to be on same wave length as the game and was taking too long to release.

Can't argue with the other 70 odd minutes or whatever, very effective and getting back to the promise he showed under Rafa.

He’s massively underrated by our own fans and often (I feel) given far more stick than others. Neutral fans I know who watched yesterday, and Spurs fan I know thought he was excellent and was a constant thorn to Spurs with his energy and pressing ability. 

14 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'll have to watch it again because aside from Bruno going down and not getting a foul, I don't remember him being sloppy.

Watched again and yeah he was really good at what he did, but I also think Bruno and Willock were too. 

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

He’s massively underrated by our own fans and often (I feel) given far more stick than others. Neutral fans I know who watched yesterday, and Spurs fan I know thought he was excellent and was a constant thorn to Spurs with his energy and pressing ability. 

I think it’s mainly because he makes those very noticeable mistakes in possession sometimes. I’m sure it’s being worked on. 

I haven’t always wanted him in the team but I’m happy to accept that his impact on the game is more than the eyes sometimes tell you. 

If he can sharpen up a little bit on the ball he can be very good. Maybe some of it is to do with his lanky build and balance too, he sometimes struggles to get himself if the position to release his pass fast enough. I’m sure we’ll be trying to improve that. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Everyone in football loses possession, bad pass, etc. if they didn’t they’d be literally some of the best in the world. His stats do not lie and the eye test this past week even more so. Sean is returning to his old levels and long may it continue. 

he's one of us and he's living the dream.

seems a canny lad. 

who knows - he may get better , he may not.

hope he stays at least just as a homegrown squad player.

plenty local lads who made it to the first team who were utter arseholes and acted the johnny big bolocks (a couple of them still knocking about the town stinking the place up).

Bar that one error in which the ball still had to travel 60 yards before a shot was taken I thought he was really good yesterday. Like Almiron, his work off the ball and setting the standards for pressing and working is vastly under appreciated.

Think it’ll be interesting to see what would happen if he and Miggy eventually get dropped if we ever get to full strength as it’ll naturally change the way we have to play off the ball a bit IMO but probably will be better with the ball.