Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

He's had his ups and downs, seems very much a player who can do a job when coached by someone who genuinely coaches and for that reason I'm more than happy to see how much more he can progress under Howe. Maybe it's not too late.

It's he's not some high quality possession recycling midfielder, and that is one position we are lacking in. Bruno has the technical ability to do it but (rightly) wants to be creative and attacking. Part of me thinks the perfect midfield for us would be a really cultured passer who keeps the ball, so we have a destroyer in Joelinton, a creative player in Bruno and a metronome a la the classic Pep Barca midfield of Busquets (Joelinton), Iniesta (Bruno) and Xavi (to be found) mould. Because we don't quite keep the ball to that level Bruno becomes more defensive and plays deeper which feels a bit of a waste, but in actual fact what we have now is working brilliantly

(for the record, yes i do think that barca midfield is the best there has ever been(

Edited by Tiresias

Really hard to say who he is or who he could be. I'm just very happy for the lad its clicking for him after where he's been due to Bruce.

One thing Ashley never understood was the importance of a top tier manager and their impact on a team, and that opinion alone has ruined so many careers. Longstaff was on the cusp, I pray he pulls it back round and is here for the ride. 

Five minutes into this game, I saw this lad take the ball out from defence, exchange a one two with a team mate in a narrow space near the touchline, and then bang in a first time shot from 40 yards out, right out on the touchline, which only just missed. It it had been on target, the keeper wouldn't have saved it, and he would have become a You Tube legend.

The transformation in this lad's mentality is amazing. His skill has always been there, but he's adding confidence and imagination. 

His chance creation / attacking passes are very, very good. Just needs to be a bit more aware of his surroundings prior to receiving the ball to help reduce the moments he gets caught in possession.

26 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Is Howe doing with Longstaff, what Klopp done with Henderson? Would that be a fair comparison?

I think that's a good assessment, yeah.

To be honest I think Howe is using a lot of Liverpool 2018/19 - 2019/20 as his blueprint. There's a few tweaks obviously because we commit an extra midfielder (sometimes 2 extra!) to the attack rather than both full backs, but the off the ball stuff and press is really similar. 

People talk about him getting back to his Rafa form, but honestly I think they're completely different players.

Under Rafa my memory of him is being neat and tidy, disciplined, well positioned. Under Howe he's all action, takes risks, never stops.

6 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Played well again I thought and covers loads of ground

BT commentator in Arsenal's midweek game said Longstaff had covered the most ground per 90 in the league this season. 

Just want to point out that was a beautiful through ball for Willock's goal as well. Lots of people saying this guy can't pass, and he's not as accurate as some maybe but he also has a couple gorgeous assists already this season.

2 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Just want to point out that was a beautiful through ball for Willock's goal as well. Lots of people saying this guy can't pass, and he's not as accurate as some maybe but he also has a couple gorgeous assists already this season.

Was Trippier who assisted Willock today.