Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

I just remembered how we thought we needed an entire new midfield before Howe came in. Personally I really believed that not a single player in our squad would stay as central midfield starters long term, and that we would go on to buy an entire new midfield. Turns out all we needed to secure top 4 was Bruno, and then we moved Joelinton to midfield while Longstaff and Willock transformed. Turns out we already had 3 solid midfielders in our team under Bruce, he just ruined them all.

Edited by Erikse

5 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

... and still Connor Gallagher and Kalvin Phillips will be in the England squad ahead of him. 

Am glad tbh

Fuck England

Hes not gonna be a player who's gonna leave to get international football. So he will get a nice break every few months

Just remember that the brilliant and downt-to-earth bloke that he is, never kicks up a fuss, never complains. When asked who the best player at the club is he says Bruno and his reason is "because he makes me look better" or something like that. The guy deserves far more credit than he gets. 

16 hours ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

... and still Connor Gallagher and Kalvin Phillips will be in the England squad ahead of him. 

It would be interesting to see him in another setup. Technically he's not the best and tends to make a fair few unforced errors which will be scrutinised at the international level. Instinctively, I feel people will say he's not good enough based off that alone.

But he has this ability to make others around him look better. But I don't think you need Logstaff and Rice in a team. Rice can do the off the ball stuff that Longstaff does. Sharper at passing. And As good as Rice is, I don't think he's great at passing it through the lines which is what i think England are missing most in midfield. Rice passes forward but often wide. Someone like Partey passes straight into Odegaard or a striker.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

It would be interesting to see him in another setup. Technically he's not the best and tends to make a fair few unforced errors which will be scrutinised at the international level. Instinctively, I feel people will say he's not good enough based off that alone.

But he has this ability to make others around him look better. But I don't think you need Logstaff and Rice in a team. Rice can do the off the ball stuff that Longstaff does. Sharper at passing. And As good as Rice is, I don't think he's great at passing it through the lines which is what i think England are missing most in midfield. Rice passes forward but often wide. Someone like Partey passes straight into Odegaard or a striker.

I agree with this but fail to see what Gallagher brings to the table at international level above what Sean and it would be nice to see him get the recognition but overall it's probably best he gets a rest those weeks 

44 minutes ago, Monters said:

I agree with this but fail to see what Gallagher brings to the table at international level above what Sean and it would be nice to see him get the recognition but overall it's probably best he gets a rest those weeks 

I don't know for sure. But i'm guessing Gallagher is better technically.

I want our players to get international recognition just for them.  But I don’t think the extra games and scrutiny would be good for Longstaff and I don’t think his skills would translate well to an international game. But he keeps upping his levels so you never know.  

Southgate tend to play Gallagher as an 6/8 and I thought he was at his best as a hard working 10 and an 8 at a push. Similar to MGW. As a 6 or an 8 JWP is better at that but he doesn’t play for a fashionable club or Palace. 

Edited by The College Dropout

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I want our players to get international recognition just for them.  But I don’t think the extra games and scrutiny would be good for Longstaff and I don’t think his skills would translate well to an international game. But he keeps upping his levels so you never know.  

Southgate tend to play Gallagher as an 6/8 and I thought he was at his best as a hard working 10 and an 8 at a push. Similar to MGW. As a 6 or an 8 JWP is better at that but he doesn’t play for a fashionable club or Palace. 

I agree with the bold but I don't see Gallagher as better in anyway - seems to fall down an awful lot ruining any good work he had previously done; I would have been over the moon to sign him after his spell at Palace but now I'd take Sean all day everyday and twice on Sunday 

22 hours ago, jack j said:

Am glad tbh

Fuck England

Hes not gonna be a player who's gonna leave to get international football. So he will get a nice break every few months

I don't think that's right tbh, his main asset is his movement and willingness to run for 90mins. If he can add some guile and touch to his game on a regular basis there's now way he won't get recognised. For us his ground coverage is massive because it helps our press become more effective, and that in turn makes players like Bruno look much better.

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't really disagree and I'm not that fussed he isn't being called up other than it irks me a little as I perceive there to be issues around merit and England call ups under Southgate these last few years.

On balance I do think it would be good overall for Newcastle, even with the extra game time. Our best chance of success lies with us offering a clear pathway to success for the best young talents in the world so they sign for us. I think this would help us sell that vision to players.

Gallagher is still getting rewarded for that decent season on loan at Palace 2 years ago.

He's pretty naff.

I still like the look of him for some reason, inexplicably, which is probably why he's still getting England call ups etc.

3 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

Great work ethic but shame chances keep falling to him he has no composure when it comes to actually scoring. 

The plus is that even if he's not got elite end product, his work rate makes him great for our press.