Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Let’s face it, it’s better than the 5-6 year deals we were handing out willy-nilly not so long ago. :lol:

3 years he can either be a solid back-up option or we can make a bit of money on him next summer for example. Presuming he signs it of course.

Hope his very recent form, i.e last two matches, is something he can build on. In that case he'd be a handy squad player. If we get the pre-2 matches to post-injury for Benitez Longstaff it's a waste of a squad number.

Edited by Conjo

I like him a lot and I'm always in favor of players that have come through our academy to be part of the team, he's showed in the last few games that he is capable of playing his part in the next step the club will take and hopefully the likes of Elliott Anderson can join him as well.

I feel like he is finally starting to look like the player he was under Rafa under Howe, especially in these last couple months. Think he will be a good depth option, and considering his natural fitness he is a great option to have on the bench when trying to defend a lead late in the game.

3yrs is perfect really, gives him a year to show what he can do and then still leaves the club with 2yrs on his contract if they want to sell next summer or ofcourse keep him and plenty of time to extend it again.

No issues with it if true. Seems sensible.

On the assumption we'll sign a CM this summer we'll have six CMs - Bruno, new CM & Joelinton/Willock to start, Longstaff and Shelvey in reserve. As long as three of the first four can play the majority of minutes, that's not bad depth.

edit - I also take confidence in the fact that Rafa liked him enough to play him regularly and Howe obviously sees enough there to sort out this new deal. I find it hard to read too much into the Bruce years where his development was clearly stunted.

Edited by Keegans Export

I'm pleased. He's been very good lately. He can be trusted.

In a years time, if he feels he hasn't got the game time, we can sell him. Make a few quid back on him.

We need so many from England in the squad so if you can have him as a cheap back-up option, it’s cheaper to go and spend £30-40m on a top overseas first-teamer than if we let him go, have to pay 50% extra because of ‘English player tax’ and then have to spend a bit on a back up as well.

Just now, Groundhog63 said:

Played full minutes against Arsenal and Burnley. Aye, THAT not very good

So because you play 90 minutes it makes you a good player ? This transfer window should easy then, loads of players around who play 90 minutes.

He seems to have recovered that half a millisecond of awareness which had very much gone during the Bruce years. Results in him making a lot more progressive passes and being a lot more combative out of possession. Glad he's staying. 

6 hours ago, mouldy_uk said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886bqj4gkwmwsh0dectla

3 Years!

Along with Dummett he's the only first team player we currently have that would count towards the European home grown rule. So he's going to be an important part of our squad if/when we get into Europe.

I still believe Longstaff could turn out to be a special player, he’s nobodies fool and will battle when the tackles start flying.

Time will tell with Sean, maybe the playing resemblance to Carrick will come to fruition…….fingers crossed !