Fabian Schär

8 hours ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Divint see Woodgate or Colo scoring braces do you?

Top boy, top defender.

Definitely not, although I'd argue Schar is the better footballer both those mentioned were better defenders. But in the modern game Schar is perfect, especially alongside Botman.

No way is Coloccini a better defender, mind. I honestly don’t know how anyone can remember Colo with a clear head and the amount of times he got bullied and think that. 

Schar has an incredible knack of always positioning himself in the right place from a low cross. I’m sure he clears 2-3 a game when it seems really dangerous. 

Didn’t manage it for the goal. But that was more due to Bailey having Burn on toast. 

What a man. Disgrace that his song never gets an airing. 

Was very surprised that those were his first PL goals for 18 months (the Forest goal, I guess?) I've always thought of him as a goalscorer; at one point he was at 1 in 10 for us. Hopefully he nabs a few more cos fackin 'ew oy lav a Schar goal.

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Was very surprised that those were his first PL goals for 18 months (the Forest goal, I guess?) I've always thought of him as a goalscorer; at one point he was at 1 in 10 for us. Hopefully he nabs a few more cos fackin 'ew oy lav a Schar goal.

In fairness his champions league goal vs psg is worth at least 10 premier league goals

On 21/10/2023 at 10:59, HawK said:

My all-time PL NUFC central defender rankings as of each season :

2021/2022

1. Woodgate

2. Albert

3. Colo

4. Schar

5. Dabizas

2022/2023

1. Woodgate

2. Albert

3. Schar

4. Colo

5. Dabizas

2023/2024

1. Schar

2. Woodgate

3. Albert

4. Colo

5. Dabizas

Still holds up - gap growing to Woodgate imo.

The absolutely effortless positioning and poise of Woodgate with the threat on the ball from Albert, and let's throw some Pirlo-esque long-passes into the mix. No question in my mind now.

10 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Id probably put Schar on a level with Albert but Albert was even more gung-ho in attack.

I still say Woodgate was the best defender weve had, as brief as it was.

Agree.  Woodgate made Bramble look like prime Thiago Silva.  For that alone has to go down as the best in recent history imo.

It depends how you judge these things. Personally the fact Woodgate was never fit and caused too much disruption in a position of the team that relies more than any a partnership always means he loses my vote as great a defender he was when fit.

Does anyone know his biggest run of 90mins for us? My recollection (hazy these days admittedly) of him was turning up at 3pm Saturday and finding out he wasn’t playing and even when he did start I seem to recall him being subbed a few times.

On 31/01/2024 at 10:37, Ronaldo said:

No way is Coloccini a better defender, mind. I honestly don’t know how anyone can remember Colo with a clear head and the amount of times he got bullied and think that. 

You never liked him though, whereas a lot of other people did :lol:

From memory I think Ronaldo really rated Colo before a lot of others realised how good he was, but his decline and hiding away from captaincy responsibilities turned him against Colo

On 31/01/2024 at 10:41, Lush Vlad said:

Schar has an incredible knack of always positioning himself in the right place from a low cross. I’m sure he clears 2-3 a game when it seems really dangerous. 

Didn’t manage it for the goal. But that was more due to Bailey having Burn on toast. 

What a man. Disgrace that his song never gets an airing. 

It’s a class song as well.

Has more than 3 different words and no swearing in so will never catch on with wor lot. 

37 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Oh what a night. Late January back in 2024. 
What a very special time for Fabian Schar
As I remember, what a night

To what tune?

7 minutes ago, RS said:

Always amazed at the high regard for Collocini. Talisman? Possibly. Great centre half? No. 

There was a 2 year spell where he was top class, like (not including the Championship season where him, Jonas & Enrique walked it). Age and injuries got hold of him.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1. Woodgate. If you'd seen him, you'd know. He was everything. Quick, strong, read the game better than any defender I've seen. Also really good on the ball. He was as good as Rio Ferdinand at the time. Sadly, he was a complete crock and also, judging by some of his interviews, a bit of a cock.

2. Schar. He's just edged past Coloccini. Fab is a much more all rounded centre half. Amazing distribution, strong at the back, and no matter how many knocks he takes, he's back ASAP. He's also absolutely gorgeous.

3. Coloccini. Started really slowly for us but grew into it. He's probably the best technician out of the 3, in close quarters he was great on the ball and he also read the game well. From time to time he got bullied, so that's why the two above edge past him.

3 great centre halves. Remembered fondly.