Cardiff City 0-0 Newcastle United - 18/08/18 - post match from page 25

Greg

Horrendous game, was literally painful to watch. We were relatively organised defensively, but if Cardiff had any better quality in the box they could have won.

Where was Rondon today? I thought last 20 mins would have suited him. Diame and Kenedy were poor, with the latter being total dog s*** today.

No subs left.

:thup:

If Kenedy’s the second name on our penalty taker list, I’m fairly certain he’s our second best penalty taker as of right now. Having a shit game doesn’t mean you can’t score a penalty, just look at Shola. Nonsense to suggest Rafa should fuck up  players by taking their given responsibility away because they’ve had a bad game. Would imagine that Rafa essentially saying e doesn’t trust him to take a penalty anymore would do more damage to Kenedy’s mental state than actually missing the penalty.

I’d rather have 3 points than Kenedy feeling great TBH. He’s got 3 weeks to think about it anyway.

No guarantee anyone else would’ve scored either as everyone taking pens these days seem to just love placing them at keeper height with as little power as possible behind them if the WC pens were anything to go by :lol:

If Rafa and his coaching team has identified Kenedy as the back-up penalty taker, I’m fully backing Kenedy to take pens if Ritchie’s not on the field.

Two poor sides, but Cardiff played with more heart. Ironically, the red card seemed to ease the pressure on us a bit and gave us the jolt we needed.

The ref was a homer, allowing the crowd to make his mind up on a few occasions.

We seemed to lose out with quite a number of 50-50 situations in the midfield. Ritchie, Shelvey and Diame aren't particularly sharp and I think the balance doesn't look right.

I've thought that was a problem with lack of pace in the team for a long time, but it stood out more against Cardiff because they were a clearly poor side, yet we looked worse for long patches of the game.

Not sure of it was a deliberate ploy, I very much doubt it was, but I watched the match today in a bar in Albufiera and once the full time whistle blew the sound on the tv went straight off and the music came back on and the song that came on was "we're on the road to nowhere" which sort of seemed quite poignant at the time, especially after 6 pints of Sagres.

I'm still not sold on Ritchie either. There were much bigger problems than him but I think his lack of pace is a big issue.

It's always been a big issue with him, but replacing him with a pacy alternative would cost big money, hence he's still here.

Absolutely shuddered when kenedy stepped up. Awful decision to have him take it. He was clearly lacking confidence, especially after piss poor free-kick.

Would have been 2 points more than we deserved, even if it's clear we absolutely need every point we can get this year.

Can't believe this is basically our best team going into this season. We are absolute dross. Kudos to shelvey today though.

Absolutely shuddered when kenedy stepped up. Awful decision to have him take it. He was clearly lacking confidence, especially after piss poor free-kick.

Would have been 2 points more than we deserved, even if it's clear we absolutely need every point we can get this year.

Can't believe this is basically our best team going into this season. We are absolute dross. Kudos to shelvey today though.

The decision wasn't taken on the pitch today. There is a list, and he is numer two on it behind Ritchie.

Hardly, arguably 5 other players would be in the team if they were fully fit now, that would be the strongest team

Dubravka

Yedlin Lascelles Lejeune Dummett

Shelvey Ki

Ritchie Muto Kenedy

Rondon

I reckon will turn out to be the first 11 as the season goes on