Burnley 1-2 Newcastle United - 26/11/18 - post match relief p23 onwards

BlueStar

Since when did our fans start singing that gash generic Boro song?

Which one?

Who’s that team we call (insert team)

Who’s that team we all adore

Can only ever remember Boro, and latterly Arsenal singing it with gusto.

Nah, my dad commented about how he used to sing it :lol:

Aye, someone else said earlier it’s been around for an age. Heard it in flashes but never heard it at FT. Always been ‘We love Newcastle...’

Just massively associate it as a Boro song.

If I was a Burnley fan I’d be livid after that. At no real point did they ever look like doing anything during the game, they went 2-0 in the first 23 minutes and for large parts of the game after they never looked trying to go for it, even in the 2nd half when they had a goal back there was long period where they had the ball and just held it across the back waiting for the opportunity to hoof it up front. They never even had anyone chasing the kncockdowns, they were literally hoping for fluke goal like they scored in the first half, or to somehow get a set piece and catch us out. In general play they had no ideas and offered nothing, their midfield pretty much didn’t exists.

Dyche has no plan B, the only thing he did have is another couple of big lads to put up front hoping a couple more guys there would get on the end of one of their long balls. What makes it worse is that he’s been in charge of the club for so long and has never developed a plan B or brought in any players that offer anything different.

In all honesty I think they were most 1 dimensional team and possibly worst team we have faced this season.

Worked for them last season, they missed Gudmundsson hugely and now they’re getting found out. Downgrading their keeper for no reason was odd too.

If I was a Burnley fan I’d be livid after that. At no real point did they ever look like doing anything during the game, they went 2-0 in the first 23 minutes and for large parts of the game after they never looked trying to go for it, even in the 2nd half when they had a goal back there was long period where they had the ball and just held it across the back waiting for the opportunity to hoof it up front. They never even had anyone chasing the kncockdowns, they were literally hoping for fluke goal like they scored in the first half, or to somehow get a set piece and catch us out. In general play they had no ideas and offered nothing, their midfield pretty much didn’t exists.

Dyche has no plan B, the only thing he did have is another couple of big lads to put up front hoping a couple more guys there would get on the end of one of their long balls. What makes it worse is that he’s been in charge of the club for so long and has never developed a plan B or brought in any players that offer anything different.

In all honesty I think they were most 1 dimensional team and possibly worst team we have faced this season.

Worked for them last season, they missed Gudmundsson hugely and now they’re getting found out. Downgrading their keeper for no reason was odd too.

Didn’t their keeper get an injury and their back up as well?

You always have a good chance when Joe Hart is between the sticks these days. But joking aside, it was a well deserved win, I don't think we ever looked in any trouble, and the idea to help protect Clarke by throwing Ritchie over to help double up on Lennon made sense, also worked wonders in attacks for diagonal balls for Ritchie with Lennon bewildered at times.

Anyone else think we should have had penalty because of Kennedy being brought down when Ritchie missed that sitter?

Do you mean Yedlin, surely the ref played advantage not his fault Ritchie missed an open goal from 2 yards which is a better opportunity then a penalty against a keeper from 12 yards?

Anyone else think we should have had penalty because of Kennedy being brought down when Ritchie missed that sitter?

Do you mean Yedlin, surely the ref played advantage not his fault Ritchie missed an open goal from 2 yards which is a better opportunity then a penalty against a keeper from 12 yards?

Aye, Yedlin.

Advantage rule is shit as fuck. A referee can play the advantage and a team can gain no advantage and sometimes it’s brought back, sometimes it’s not.

If that was a Sky 6 club you just know it would have been brought back for the penalty. I always say that if it’s a foul outside the box then it’s a foul inside the box, and if that could was outside the box I think play would have been brought back for a free kick.

Aye, Yedlin.

Advantage rule is shit as fuck. A referee can play the advantage and a team can gain no advantage and sometimes it’s brought back, sometimes it’s not.

If that was a Sky 6 club you just know it would have been brought back for the penalty. I always say that if it’s a foul outside the box then it’s a foul inside the box, and if that could was outside the box I think play would have been brought back for a free kick.

I know what u mean the rule in general is confusing at times, the ones where a ref plays advantage then a player just misplaces a pass/cross and its bought back , I don't get it,  its not the defending teams fault. They shouldn't get 2 attempts if they mess up their own advantage

Anyone else think we should have had penalty because of Yedlin being brought down when Ritchie missed that sitter?

I was wondering what happens with VAR in that situation. Because the temptation with VAR will be to play the advantage every time knowing you can take it back if need be.

btw, Understat recorded the Yedlin cross/shot and the Ritchie efforts as separate when calculating expected goals. Two scores for the same attack shouldn't happen. It also gave the Burnley (Vokes?) chance at the death, a cross about six inches too high to someone inside the six yard box, a higher expected goal score than the Ritchie miss. No-one is ever going to score from a cross that is too high. The Ritchie one will be a goal at least eight times out of ten. I like the expected goals stat, but that's not a very clever way to calculate it.

Nobody played badly, really. I thought Perez was his usual frustrating self, along with Kenedy. Something great, followed up with the wrong decision or losing the ball. I’m not really a fan of Ritchie and Dubravka looked a bit shaky. But you can’t really fault the effort and commitment from this team. Which makes a refreshing change!

Yedlin, Ki, Diame and the three centre backs. Wow.

Tactics were spot on. Couldn’t quite believe how shit and direct Burnley were. So the set up worked to perfection to combat this. 4-1 or 4-2 would have been a fair reflection.

This has ended up reading a bit negative. Which wasn’t my inention :lol:

Generally speaking the effort and commitment hasn’t often been an issue all the while Rafa has been here. It’s the lack of ability.

Yeah. Sorry, I should have been clearer. Makes a change from the majority of NUFC teams I’ve watched in my lifetime. I think most of the time, the application and desire has been there under Rafa and the players have bought into his philosophy, for sure. 

Thought we made use of the ball very well last night. Fashioned more opportunities from open play. Think we've been looking at improving on the ball knowing we're a side that won't have the lion's share of possession in games. Ki has helped with this enormously.

On paper Burnley's midfield 4 and front 2 looks reasonable for a lower half team, and certainly enough to have given us problems with three defenders out who would almost certainly have started against their front two.

Once again a well thought out approach and tactical masterclass by Rafa was the difference, absolutely making the best of what he had at his disposal.

Guest firetotheworks

It hasn't really been talked about, but Ginola was great on MNF and made a lot of decent points I thought. Worth catching up with on YT just for the clips of him merking right backs. There are a couple of little bits against Spurs and Southampton  that I'd completely forgotten about as well. Megging players to their blind side then knocking it back around the other way before the defender could even turn. Just the absolute height of piss-takery.

I'm really not surprised Burnley are struggling. IIRC their defensive record last year covered up for their lack of goals to an unsustainable level.

Yeah, I remember one of the expected goals analysts on Twitter bringing it up a couple of times. Essentially said that they were massively overperforming in expected goals scored and conceded last season and that it meant either Sean Dyche was a wizard or they would massively revert to the mean this season, which seems to be happening.

I thought the back three were quite poor last night, they hardly one a single ball in the air and were line rabbits in the headlights every ti.e a long ball was launched at them.

Bar a couple of moments the back 3 were very good - you can’t win every single header