Miguel Almirón

Deuce

1 minute ago, Andy said:

I don't disagree with that, but at some point you have to replace graft with consistent end product when it comes to wide forwards. The only way we'll ever be able to do that is by selling squad players like Miggy when their stocks are as high as they're going to get. 

I know that, even said it myself to you. Again just addressing your 'only a purple patch' comment to describe him here as though he does fuck all else on the pitch

I think it's really hard to have a solid take on this until the window closes. If we're selling Miggy to upgrade him with a winger who can provide both the pressing qualities and the end product (much like AG on the other wing) then as much as he's been both often frustrating and sometimes brilliant over the years and extremely likeable, it absolutely makes sense to do it.

If we're selling without replacing or buying for another position this window it seems a little strange, but obviously we can't make that assumption yet. I think we're all still conditioned into the notion that selling a decent first teamer for some cash probably means they won't be replaced at all or some unfit knacker will arrive on loan from the bargain bin on 31st Jan.

If he is away he's certainly going out on a high after that performance in the derby, which was sensational.

Edited by Pilko

9 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

I know that, even said it myself to you. Again just addressing your 'only a purple patch' comment to describe him here as though he does fuck all else on the pitch

I don't think he does fuck all else on the pitch and never said that, you created an argument where there wasn't one :lol: I was assessing him on his output as a wide forward with the "purple patch" comment. My comparison was also directly with Murphy, who works almost equally as hard so the more relevant point of comparison was their output. 

Don't like the rumblings so far this window but I still have faith in our transfers until they prove otherwise, just trying to stay patient until the end of the window and keeping the faith [emoji38]

If Murphy had been the one fit and firing at the moment there would probably have been a market for him from other PL clubs and I have no doubt he'd have possibly been the one out of the door instead. People have to start to understand that the club will effectively be open to selling anybody on now to get the squad to where it needs to be and when the market is there we will be ruthless. FFP encourages it but we'd have probably done it anyway and it's how all well ran clubs operate. We cannot afford not to sell players. Any player hitting that 28/29 bracket where is at that prime point to go we will be open to sell.

These kind of moves reduces the likelihood of Botman/Bruno/Isak needing to go at their peak.

Edited by ponsaelius

9 minutes ago, Sima said:

Not a fan of this.  I think he'd be great coming off the bench with his energy and pressing ability.

Depends what they have lined up imo. FFP has forced their hand to act and continue the next phase of rebuilding.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Really didn’t expect this window to be “breaking up the band” - it would seem like good business if we get over 20m for him but there’s a lot of assumptions that we’re going to upgrade.

This summer will be this summer but there’s a possibility we sign fuck all this month. Perhaps FFP margins are worse than we think and these sales are to ensure we stay on the right side of a points deduction?

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

If Murphy had been the one fit and firing at the moment there would probably have been a market for him from other PL clubs and I have no doubt he'd have possibly been the one out of the door instead. People have to start to understand that the club will effectively be open to selling anybody on now to get the squad to where it needs to be and when the market is there we will be ruthless. FFP encourages it but we'd have probably done it anyway and it's how all well ran clubs operate. We cannot afford not to sell players. Any player hitting that 28/29 bracket where is at that prime point to go we will be open to sell.

These kind of moves reduces the likelihood of Botman/Bruno/Isak needing to go at their peak.

I would imagine Murphy might be sold as well in the next year or so. He's 28 and still a good squad player, but if we get a chance to get decent money for him we'll trade him for a younger version.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Really likeable player will be sad to see him leave but probably needs done.

Assuming Murphy and Barnes are close to a return?

Barnes back to give rotation and time off for Gordon is much needed. Having only Murphy capable of right wing when he's barely played in ages is going to be risky. Can only assume we have a target for Almiron being sold we can bring in that's better.

Fuck. I know he’s limited but he’s a good option. He does great at tracking back as well, and he’s so likeable.

How am I going to tell my kitten who is named after him this news?

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

We call her Ellie, full name Miguellie, Almirón mine&mylasseslastnames.

Was hoping for Moggy Almiron

Miggy has annoyed me the last month or so with the chances he's missed and his refusal to use his right foot but he has obvious qualities that are not easy to replace 

Ultimately, if selling Miggy means the likes of Isak/Botman remain untouchable then it's an easy decision to make 

Getting a replacement is key though, we are already stretched in the front 6