Miguel Almirón

Deuce

He worries me. The lack of confidence in front of goal seems to be getting worse. If only he had scored in his first match with that cheeky lob.

It's a lot more worrying for me when we are starting Atsu.

Guest neesy111

He worries me. The lack of confidence in front of goal seems to be getting worse. If only he had scored in his first match with that cheeky lob.

It's a lot more worrying for me when we are starting Atsu.

Exactly.

I've not seen every game this season and I could be talking shite but today seemed like the first time he's been within 30 metres of the six-yard-box; so if he gets more chances he'll find the net eventually. His finishing has been woeful on the whole so far, like, undoubtedly, even last season; it certainly ain't his forte regardless of how many chances he does or doesn't get.

Thing is, he was purchased by a manager who wanted him, specifically, and with a defined role in mind. He was the perfect foil for Perez who, whilst he was a perfectly capable dribbler and would get into dangerous positions, was required through the middle because he was the best finisher at the club and because he needed to be close to (the less-mobile) Rondon so that his movement would open-up space for him. But as the only one in support of the target man, Perez was easier to mark out of the game. Almiron comes along and, with his pace and outrageous stamina, could zip about all over the final third (as in, including through the middle, not excusively operating from the touchline with the occasional drift), thus taking some of the load off Perez and cumulatively making the trio more dangerous. It really worked because it was intentionally manufactured by a manager who knew what he was doing.

He is versatile though and Rafa did use him defensively as well, undeniably. In games where we were gonna have less of the ball, he'd stick him on one wing so - when out of possession - he could hassle opponents and then - when we've won it back - he can carry it for a while and take some of the pressure off. This season, until today, that latter job was the only thing he'd been used for. The entire attacking set-up has just been a total mess because the manager's not only poor but has had fuck all to do with its construction. No one will fluorish.

Guest neesy111

Hoping he does a Jenas. He went ages before his first goal then scored something like 6 in 10.

Hang on, Jenas was shite after that.

Starting to get a dislike for this tiny churro. Dives all the time like a cunt and is absolutely useless in front of goal. He'll warrant a place in the team on the same premise as Sissoko did.

Guest neesy111

Starting to get a dislike for this tiny churro. Dives all the time like a c*** and is absolutely useless in front of goal. He'll warrant a place in the team on the same premise as Sissoko did.

Yeah I'm seriously not liking it as well

dive was fucking horrendous, but he did really well today. started the move that lad to the goal and generally was a threat. worked really hard.

absolutely hate Bruce, but he could easily have gone with Atsu and scapegoated Almiron and a lot of fans wouldnt have complained.

dont care if he goes all season without scoring as long as he contributes positively in other ways.

Guest neesy111

It doesn't enrage me but I'd rather see him convert the diving into a more effective form of shithousery.

His attempts have been abysmal so far, 2 of the worse dives this season.

Starting to get a dislike for this tiny churro. Dives all the time like a cunt and is absolutely useless in front of goal. He'll warrant a place in the team on the same premise as Sissoko did.

I’m not quite so far as this, yet. But I’ve never warmed to him, and he’s not doing much to change my mind.

He’s not useless - he has a number of admirable traits - but between the flaws in his technique and Brewcie’s management, so it’s hard to see how it gets better for him here.

He is such a diving little shit :lol:  Isn't that his second yellow for diving this season?  Other one was Arsenal, I think?  He always makes so much of a tiny bit of contact, or no contact in this case and goes down like a sack of shit.  I just worry he might actually lose out on some genuine fouls, a bit like Zaha. 

Despite his play acting and going to shit whenever he gets in the box.  I do actually rate him.  His vision and passing is pretty good, he's direct with the ball, rapid as fuck.

Different types of players, but he kind of reminds me of how Pepe has been at Arsenal.  Looks decent and tidy, then falls apart when they get near the box. 

Needs to get a goal and to continue playing in the Rafa system/more centrally.  When he is out wide playing as a genuine winger, he looks pretty bad.

It is that he dives, and that he's shit at it. Embarrasing. Wish players would get retrospective bans for that kind of stuff. Say 5 games suspension or so. That would make them think twice before throwing their own dignity out of the window.

So for all those on here who are complaining about his diving/poor finishing etc, would you prefer to go with Atsu? Or is there someone else in the squad you would like to see in that position?

Yes, I'd rather have Atsu on under the circumstances although I would prefer if Almiron was punished and learnt not to dive anymore but that won't happen because diving is accepted and football isn't a contact sport anymore. Atsu has had more end product than Almiron since he was signed anyway so it's not that outlandish is it even though you lose a bit of graft and pace on the field.