Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

This one's quite damning isn't it. Raises a question whether owners are expected to invest their own money into the team or keep things sustainable like Ashley's model aims for. Makes it look better for potential investors on the other hand 

16 hours ago, Paully said:

It has nothing to do with Ashley that. They are confusing it with the land across the road.

Also recently the Strawberry pub are being vocal against it on social media, but they were actually all for it during the planning process.

Edited by Stifler

Is it student accommodation or office space that’s going in?

Either way they probably were hoping for an increase in foot fall which is why they supported it. It’s never come across like a bar that’s done exceptionally well, financially I mean.

The easy ride Mike Ashley gets off the local press is embarrassing, I went to a talk in a few years ago and the general feeling with the press guys was "Newcastle have no debt, they live within their means and are well ran unlike other clubs that pile up loans" 

Nobody will challenge him because they get a ban and its their job to cover Newcastle, John Gibson is the only man calling them out, but nobody reads or listens to him.

49 minutes ago, Ben said:

The easy ride Mike Ashley gets off the local press is embarrassing, I went to a talk in a few years ago and the general feeling with the press guys was "Newcastle have no debt, they live within their means and are well ran unlike other clubs that pile up loans" 

Nobody will challenge him because they get a ban and its their job to cover Newcastle, John Gibson is the only man calling them out, but nobody reads or listens to him.

There are even some fans that have this view, fucking barmy!

Mike should just sell the delta between his "loan" and the equity position and then charge a nominal interest rate to the Buyer that has various step-down principle payments that eventually allows him to exit albeit with a premium. 

Just now, Kanji said:

Mike should just sell the delta between his "loan" and the equity position and then charge a nominal interest rate to the Buyer that has various step-down principle payments that eventually allows him to exit albeit with a premium. 

well there's some words

21 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I understand Delta when trading options, but can you explain how it would apply to a loan? or is literally the same?

In this case the delta would be what, instead of the underlying asses (stock) its the equity position?

Just the variance, the difference, etc...he should literally just hold his "loan" and look at it as a debt position to a new buyer and the buyer should pay the difference between Mike's "loan" and the agreed price (ex: 300 million). That way they come in with a healthy going-in basis as equity, pay some sort of interest to Mike on a monthly or annual basis with additional larger balloon payments to buy Mike out faster, so maybe for example 20 million a year in balloon payments to lower the debt balance and increase new buyer's equity position. 

IMO this wouldn't be so bad for any party. Mike could earn interest and in essence make more money in the long-run than outright sale, a new buyer doesn't have to fork out 300 million up front and can try and come in and use their position to start spending money on facilities, players, and then using time to find additional partners 

^^ alternatives to an outright sale and potentially opens up to a bigger buyer pool. Have always felt his exit strategy has been stupidly flawed from the get-go and has always been about finding a unicorn buyer who would pay his insane valuation on a very capital intensive business with horrendous facilities, no business or football infrastructure, and very weak playing squad(s). 

28 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I got you, I'm with you now. So it's basically similar to an options contract, where in this case Mike collects the premium. That's a really smart idea actually.

And there's where it falls down with Mike being involved

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

^^ alternatives to an outright sale and potentially opens up to a bigger buyer pool. Have always felt his exit strategy has been stupidly flawed from the get-go and has always been about finding a unicorn buyer who would pay his insane valuation on a very capital intensive business with horrendous facilities, no business or football infrastructure, and very weak playing squad(s). 

I wonder whether that has been mooted, as I'm sure it was reported that other parties have come forward but PIF was up all front. Didn't really get what they meant but maybe your suggestion explains it!

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

Was just thinking that.