Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

This the Saudis want something different or want to be the leader not follower is a mentality of most countries in that area. I use to live in Qatar and they always say we are not like the others all the time. The professor mentioning that as viable reason makes his argument pretty redundant.

I don't see a lot wrong with what he wrote tbh.

It all contradicts itself.

He says they won’t be interested in buying a club, and if they were then they should buy Man Utd. He then acknowledges that they tried to buy Man Utd but simply the club wasn’t/isn’t for sale.

He says they won’t get interested into sports, but they already are.

Everything he says is either contradicted by himself or the actions they are doing.

Yeah ok he might be an expert in Middle Eastern business, but right now we are at a turning point where Middle Eastern countries and companies/business people are trying to diverse away from oil. In order to do this, the long term plan is that their own countries have to be more hospitable/accommodating to the rest of the world. This is where sports washing comes into it.

The biggest problem is that he clearly shows publisher bias concerning Man Utd.

I don't see a lot wrong with what he wrote tbh.

It all contradicts itself.

He says they won’t be interested in buying a club, and if they were then they should buy Man Utd. He then acknowledges that they tried to buy Man Utd but simply the club wasn’t/isn’t for sale.

He says they won’t get interested into sports, but they already are.

Everything he says is either contradicted by himself or the actions they are doing.

Yeah ok he might be an expert in Middle Eastern business, but right now we are at a turning point where Middle Eastern countries and companies/business people are trying to diverse away from oil. In order to do this, the long term plan is that their own countries have to be more hospitable/accommodating to the rest of the world. This is where sports washing comes into it.

The biggest problem is that he clearly shows publisher bias concerning Man Utd.

:thup:

Guest The Little Waster

Chadwick makes a fair point re: buying a football club is usually just a way of losing vast amounts of £££ . Man U are obviously a more attractive prospect in regards of prestige and the amount Ashley squeezes out of us is spare change compared to the amounts of money MBS is used to dealing with . The only thing a sane person can cling to is that Caulkin says the bid is genuine but if we move to the idea that Staveley is full of shit and is hoodwinking George then the whole thing makes a bit more sense . Theres been a brief flurry of headlines followed by nothing . Im not holding my breath ...

Who knows, there’s got to be a good chance that this will just peter out like BZG.

It has already , hasn't it ?

As far as I am concerned, it's gone already.

Yup. Any good feeling I had about this is gone. Back to hoping his asset loses value vis relegation. Was nice to dream for a couple of weeks though.

Pretty certain nothing's happening any time soon. He'll sell it one day, maybe within 12 months, maybe 5 years. Hopefully we're, at the very least, half way through our time with Ashley (David Gold is 80, for instance, so there's no guarantee that our parasite will let up at retirement age). But it seems clear to me that the latest effort isn't going anywhere. There'd surely be more info at this point if a deal was actually progressing.

Pretty certain nothing's happening any time soon. He'll sell it one day, maybe within 12 months, maybe 5 years. Hopefully we're, at the very least, half way through our time with Ashley (David Gold is 80, for instance, so there's no guarantee that our parasite will let up at retirement age). But it seems clear to me that the latest effort isn't going anywhere. There'd surely be more info at this point if a deal was actually progressing.

Has it?

Things could be going around quietly in the background and people could actually being keeping quiet about it.

With Kenyon, and to a lesser extent, BZG, it was all obviously fake and some sort of PR campaign where the story was what either party wanted, hence why it was in the paper all the time.

There was clearly some negotiations that reached some very early stage. There was people with information at that point... but now what, those sources have just decided to keep schtum? Why would they reveal what they did when they did, then say nothing else? Probably because there's nothing to talk about.

If a takeover ever happens then I don't think this Saudi Arabian group will be the new owners. It certainly doesn't seem to be as "advanced" or "close" as some outlets seemed to claim. Just too many conflicting claims to make it seem its going to happen.

When the first of these takeover stories emerged I thought the lack of any news was a good thing, but it never turns out to be the case. Probably won't be long till we have another letter or Ashley interview to kill it off altogether.

If a takeover ever happens then I don't think this Saudi Arabian group will be the new owners. It certainly doesn't seem to be as "advanced" or "close" as some outlets seemed to claim. Just too many conflicting claims to make it seem its going to happen.

When the first of these takeover stories emerged I thought the lack of any news was a good thing, but it never turns out to be the case. Probably won't be long till the Saudis kill Ashley off.

Would be preferable at this point!  :knuppel2:

This period of "no news" is the very best thing that could be happening.

It means one of two things . . .

(1) Work on the Takeover is proceeding through its various stages, as during that period of negotiation neither party would be saying anything at all . . like now !

or

(2) Nothing at all is happening, as it was all "made up".

Either way, this quiet period will END, and then (and only then) will anything that means anything (ie not media know-nothing speculation) be said, and we will then KNOW the answer.

Until then, we should all just relax and wait !!!

I mean we're all in agreement that there's concrete interest in buying but Ashley is not a willing seller right? There's surely no other reasonable viewpoint.

Also believe Staveley unlikely to come back if she couldn't meet the financial demands, why waste the time, so things are either plodding along in the background or Ashley's demands have fucked it.

Suppose the relegation thing could be real as Staveley's original bids were very cautious in that respect.

It all sounds similar to Staveley's last attempt, and I think it will end the same way.

I'm left wondering why Staveley feels Ashley is likely to sell to her after the way the last attempt ended. I can see it ending the same way this time too. At this point I honestly don't know what to think of Staveley. She's the only party that has seemed credible in their attempts (BZG was bollocks from the start, although nobody would have that at the time of course). There has to be a slight possibility she's having us on and anyone who discounts that absolutely would be slightly foolish given the history here.