Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

“I just want to say a big thank you to the supporters and Chronicle readers at Christmas,” he said.

“Most of the supporters – well all of them that I’ve bumped into in the street – wish me well and at this time of year I’d like to wish them well over the festive period. I wish them when, I hope they have a great Christmas and I look forward to catching up with all of them soon.

“We’ve got a quite unique support and that brings expectation with it. That’s what I’m trying to achieve anyway. When you have games and moments like Saturday, it can only try to bring the supporters back.

“Our supporters will always back the team. If there is a repair job to be done, hopefully we’re putting it back on the right track again.”

"Repair job"

“I just want to say a big thank you to the supporters and Chronicle readers at Christmas,” he said.

“Most of the supporters – well all of them that I’ve bumped into in the street – wish me well and at this time of year I’d like to wish them well over the festive period. I wish them when, I hope they have a great Christmas and I look forward to catching up with all of them soon.

“We’ve got a quite unique support and that brings expectation with it. That’s what I’m trying to achieve anyway. When you have games and moments like Saturday, it can only try to bring the supporters back.

“Our supporters will always back the team. If there is a repair job to be done, hopefully we’re putting it back on the right track again.”

"Repair job"

I think he’s meaning the relationship between the club and supporters more than the team.

He’s extremely lucky to have that job but he acknowledges that. Honestly, I hope he can keep doing well for the remainder of the season. I can think of many snake oil merchants who could have gotten the job after Rafa and had us in real trouble at this stage of the season.

He was smart enough not to fuck with what worked while still trying to figure out up front.

Almiron will hopefully kick on now. Hopefully Carroll can stay fit. Joelinton, well there’s a player in there, somewhere, that’s the biggest challenge in trying to find that perhaps.. and ASM, he needs to be game managed. 75 minutes is about it for him at the pace he goes. Perhaps he shouldn’t start games..

Overall Bruce gets a solid 6/10 for the season so far. Way better than anyone would have expected.

"Repair job"

I think he’s meaning the relationship between the club and supporters more than the team.

He’s extremely lucky to have that job but he acknowledges that. Honestly, I hope he can keep doing well for the remainder of the season. I can think of many snake oil merchants who could have gotten the job after Rafa and had us in real trouble at this stage of the season.

He was smart enough not to fuck with what worked while still trying to figure out up front.

Almiron will hopefully kick on now. Hopefully Carroll can stay fit. Joelinton, well there’s a player in there, somewhere, that’s the biggest challenge in trying to find that perhaps.. and ASM, he needs to be game managed. 75 minutes is about it for him at the pace he goes. Perhaps he shouldn’t start games..

Overall Bruce gets a solid 6/10 for the season so far. Way better than anyone would have expected.

👍 Pretty good assessment IMO.

"Repair job"

Overall Bruce gets a solid 6/10 for the season so far. Way better than most on here would have hoped for

Good post.Tidied up the last bit of it.

"Repair job"

:laugh:

I get the point but I still don't trust xG. All it does is show how good you are creatively. It takes finishing ability and keeping/blocking ability out of it.

Very few players consistently outperform their xG every season

This cunt deserves no praise whatsoever. If he had taken over from Carver he would have confidently changed everything and be bang on the expectations.

🏻 mostly this, I can't accept him, not all through his own fault but because of what we had and what we've now got, once the Rafa ripples due down in that defence he won't know where to turn and we'll be where most of us expected us to be.

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving, so not only are we still comparing a diamond to a cabbage, now we're comparing our form to Leicesters title winning team and suggesting that xG doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things (so long as our defenders play up front)?! Some great regens in this Christmas, loony bin had a ban lift on mobile devices? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wilfully misinterpreting what’s been said.

The point about Leicester was that they are proof that you can outperform Xg over a season, see even more so Man Utd in 17/18, so it’s not necessarily ‘inevitable’ that you will tail-off because you’re currently outperforming Xg.

Xg is a useful metric, but it’s far from an exact science.

So the one team that basically won the league in the most miraculous of seasons ever, against all the odds prove that it’s not an exact science. There’s always a statistical anomaly in everything

With Leicester there were other factors that season that were influential in their success. They won with 81 points, which wouldn't be enough now. At the time, the  bigger clubs were all in a state of some transition and that opened up an opportunity. They were also remarkably free from injuries, didn't have the distraction of cup runs or European games, weren't under the same pressure as the bigger clubs, and had players in Kante and Vardy who were far better than everyone was expecting. Being underdogs, I also felt that referees were treating them with some leniency.

Aye, when you put it like that it would've been pretty amazing if they didn't win the league that year really. Can't believe I didn't whack them on at 1000/1.

I think the xG stat is interesting, in that with the main over-performers - Liverpool, Leicester and ourselves - their chief strength is the ability to counter-attack with pace. Rather than say that's not relevant, it perhaps suggests that the formula that the statisticians use doesn't take into account that the sort of chances that are created on the counter attack are far more likely to be converted than the ones created through a slow build-up. Three against three is more likely to result in a goal than ten against ten. Likewise counter-attacking is less likely to lead to a team over-committing and leaving their defence vulnerable.

The difference between the three sides is the quality of the players. We struggle to retain possession and create chances any other way, whereas the other two don't.

We don't really counter attack any more, we just launch it long. That's why the comparison with Liverpool and Leicester is a bit disingenuous. Is that down to us having poor quality players compared to those sides? It will be a factor certainly, but you also have to wonder if the coach is capable of actually designing methods to improve it. We have seen Brighton and Sheffield Utd improve their football significantly thanks to the direct input of their managers, you can't tell me that is down to them having better players.

I think the xG stat is interesting, in that with the main over-performers - Liverpool, Leicester and ourselves - their chief strength is the ability to counter-attack with pace. Rather than say that's not relevant, it perhaps suggests that the formula that the statisticians use doesn't take into account that the sort of chances that are created on the counter attack are far more likely to be converted than the ones created through a slow build-up. Three against three is more likely to result in a goal than ten against ten. Likewise counter-attacking is less likely to lead to a team over-committing and leaving their defence vulnerable.

The difference between the three sides is the quality of the players. We struggle to retain possession and create chances any other way, whereas the other two don't.

We don't really counter attack any more, we just launch it long. That's why the comparison with Liverpool and Leicester is a bit disingenuous. Is that down to us having poor quality players compared to those sides? It will be a factor certainly, but you also have to wonder if the coach is capable of actually designing methods to improve it. We have seen Brighton and Sheffield Utd improve their football significantly thanks to the direct input of their managers, you can't tell me that is down to them having better players.

I suppose I should have said the 'main' difference.

We're never going to construct a formula for rating every manager, but there is one factor that Bruce (and our previous managers) have had to deal with, which isn't the same problem at Sheffield United or Brighton. That's the pressure of being a 'big' club, with high expectations, historically low achievement over the last 60 years and a strong local involvement hungry for success. Our status as the great under-achievers pre-dates Ashley and Bruce. In terms of the combination of those pressures, we're quite unique.

Bruce has managed that syndrome pretty well, and I'd say better than most.

I suppose I should have said the 'main' difference.

We're never going to construct a formula for rating every manager, but there is one factor that Bruce (and our previous managers) have had to deal with, which isn't the same problem at Sheffield United or Brighton. That's the pressure of being a 'big' club, with high expectations, historically low achievement over the last 60 years and a strong local involvement hungry for success. Our status as the great under-achievers pre-dates Ashley and Bruce. In terms of the combination of those pressures, we're quite unique.

Bruce has managed that syndrome pretty well, and I'd say better than most.

[emoji38] Expectations are non-existent at NUFC these days. That's why Bruce has the job.