Newcastle 0 - 1 Chelsea - Post match thread

Dave

Chelsea have Cole, Ballack, Lampard and Drogba to choose from. Compare it to Edgar, Luque, Rossi and Super Sib  :lol:

Very true, but...

when we are creating nothing, why leave Emre up front when youve got Rossi and Sibierski on bench. Chelseas goalie is absolutely terrible with high balls and crosses, but we had NO aeriel threat what so ever, and thats what Sib brings. Roeder just left the game drifting, and it was obvious from 60mins on, that chelsea were gonna score.

calm down, im not glad but im definitely not bothered that we are out of the poxy carling cup.  if i was glen i would have fielded as many of our youth players as possible and even play that lacklustre mr luque.  i thought we were bound to pick up more injuries playing most of our first team players that are fit including the ones that have just come back, (pretty irresponsible from the glender, smacks of souey syndrome).

Glad we have come out unscaved and with the slimlined squad of ours im satisfied we don't have to play as many matches as the other teams who are still in the compitition, therefore giving us more strength conserved for the prem and push foward for a european place (yeah i know im dreaming but what the hell).

come on lads theres the crappy Fa Cup, Carling Cup , Uefa cup, premiership, what the hell with our tiny squad , why do we even bother with the crappy carling cup. 

Bollocks man. Luque and Rossi wouldn't have changed it. Fair enough theres an argument for Sibierski coming on earlier or even starting but thats it. Stop blaming Roeder and Parker for it all. We got beat and Chelsea are cheating scum. They hit the post as well. We didn't exactly have them all over. I know its hard but we just have to accept it. I know Nicky Butt has a new fan club as well, but if Parker or Taylor had done that tackle i'm sure there would already be a new thread on here saying Parker should be released instantly, and Ramage is better than Taylor cos its full of fickle twats on here.

:roll:

Roeder - Selected the wrong team, was too negative, should have gone 4-4-2. Not hindsight either.

Parker - He holds the team back. He's a player I've always thought of as average but he is starting to prove me wrong because he's actually shite. The sooner he goes the better because we play better without him. The worry is that Roeder may not have the balls to leave his captain out, so I hope the club gets an offer it can't refuse for Parker in January. BTW I've been saying this all along as well,  so not fickle either.

Given - 6. Poor kicking, poor postioning for the goal. Tidy game otherwise.

Solano - 7. Very cool, calm and collected and majorly unlucky to have been treated how he was.

Taylor - 7. Solid, very.

Ramage - 7. Solid.

Huntington - 6. He was OK, struggled to keep possession, though.

Dyer - 5. Poor game from Dyer. Didn't beat any of his men and lost possession far too cheaply.

Parker - 5. Slowed down attacks and basically was just anonymous. Was he on the pitch in the second half?

Butt - 6. Alright, nowt special.

Milner - 6. He was OK, but he needed to get his crosses in much earlier.

Emre - 7. Played well, linked up well with Butt and caused a lot of problems. This lad might work in a 4-4-2...

Martins - 6. Oba did what he could. Very good in the first half, caused lots of problems. Faded in the second because there was no one with him, Roeder.

Why do we bother with the crappy Carling Cup? Well we're not good enough to win it so it doesn't say a lot for us. Just take the positives tonight. We've matched Chelsea again for most of the match and we're looking quite good. We can go into Sunday with a lot of confidence. Or i suppose we could look at it the other way and sell Given, Huntington, Parker, and hang Roeder from the tyne for not bringing Edgar on.

Solano - 7. Very cool, calm and collected and majorly unlucky to have been treated how he was.

Taylor - 7. Solid, very.

Ramage - 7. Solid.

Dyer - 5. Poor game from Dyer. Didn't beat any of his men and lost possession far too cheaply.

Parker - 5. Slowed down attacks and basically was just anonymous. Was he on the pitch in the second half?

Emre - 7. Played well, linked up well with Butt and caused a lot of problems. This lad might work in a 4-4-2...

Martins - 6. Oba did what he could. Very good in the first half, caused lots of problems. Faded in the second because there was no one with him, Roeder.

mostly agree, but a 6 for Solano, 8 for Taylor and 7 for Huntington.

Bollocks man. Luque and Rossi wouldn't have changed it. Fair enough theres an argument for Sibierski coming on earlier or even starting but thats it. Stop blaming Roeder and Parker for it all. We got beat and Chelsea are cheating scum. They hit the post as well. We didn't exactly have them all over. I know its hard but we just have to accept it. I know Nicky Butt has a new fan club as well, but if Parker or Taylor had done that tackle i'm sure there would already be a new thread on here saying Parker should be released instantly, and Ramage is better than Taylor cos its full of fickle twats on here.

:roll:

Roeder - Selected the wrong team, was too negative, should have gone 4-4-2. Not hindsight either.

Parker - He holds the team back. He's a player I've always thought of as average but he is starting to prove me wrong because he's actually shite. The sooner he goes the better because we play better without him. The worry is that Roeder may not have the balls to leave his captain out, so I hope the club gets an offer it can't refuse for Parker in January. BTW I've been saying this all along as well,  so not fickle either.

Urgh, feel dirty as i agree 90% (and i admit am in the club of being fickle as well, i thought Parker would be the man we needed)

emre and butt

milner right  and duff/zog  on the left

parker is still a very good player and i have always thought it.. and he's done really well for us...

but emre and butt compliment each other really reallly well.

trying to fit parker into this just wont work

calm down, im not glad but im definitely not bothered that we are out of the poxy carling cup.  if i was glen i would have fielded as many of our youth players as possible and even play that lacklustre mr luque.  i thought we were bound to pick up more injuries playing most of our first team players that are fit including the ones that have just come back, (pretty irresponsible from the glender, smacks of souey syndrome).

Glad we have come out unscaved and with the slimlined squad of ours im satisfied we don't have to play as many matches as the other teams who are still in the compitition, therefore giving us more strength conserved for the prem and push foward for a european place (yeah i know im dreaming but what the hell).

come on lads theres the crappy Fa Cup, Carling Cup , Uefa cup, premiership, what the hell with our tiny squad , why do we even bother with the crappy carling cup. 

All of two extra games, wow that'll affect things. :lol:

Taylor - 7. Solid, very.

Ramage - 7. Solid.

I would agree with them ratings :thup:

I just can't believe people are actually singling any of our players out for the blame. None of them were awful. Take it on the chin and move on. We've got a more important match on Saturday coming up and the next couple of weeks are going to shape our season. Get behind the lads rather than making any of them scapegoats.

I just can't believe people are actually singling any of our players out for the blame. None of them were awful. Take it on the chin and move on. We've got a more important match on Saturday coming up and the next couple of weeks are going to shape our season. Get behind the lads rather than making any of them scapegoats.

You're right - we shouldn't be singling out the players because individually, they all put in a fairly decent shift.

The manager's shite.

Guest Invicta_Toon

As I predicted at the start of the second half, they will win by diving

anyway, fuck it, its only the poxy Carling Cup, now we can concentrate on the league  bluebiggrin.gif

Guest YankeeGeordie

From a referee's perspective, Foy had a nightmare, and if he didn't fail his assessment tonight I'll be amazed (at this level, all games are assessed).  It will be interesting to see what his next several assignments are.

Direct Free Kicks taken in the penalty area are called penalty kicks and are taken from the mark.  As the lines are part of the area they describe, a ball placed on the line of the penalty area is IN the penalty area.  This is basic stuff that brand new referees are taught.  That Foy allowed the kick to be taken from a dramatically better angle, several yards from the point of the foul, and IN the area....it's just disgraceful.

I would have given the foul on Dyer that preceeded that fiasco...

I would have given the penalty against Drogba's push in the back on Sib.

The caution to Emre for persistent infringment was a good decision.

The decision for no goal against Martins' volley was correct - the whole of the ball did not cross the goal line.  Impossible for the assistant referee to be in the proper position for that, but somehow they got it right. 

The free kick given after the foul on Emre outside the arc was interesting.  Foy allowed a Chelsea player to stand in front of the ball for an age, then set the wall at roughly ten yards.  Foy then TURNS HIS BACK to get into position, and the Chelsea wall promptly moves to about nine yards.  By the time the ball is kicked, the wall is at eight yards.  This is also basic...  If you are going to have a "ceremonial" restart, you set that wall at LEAST ten yards and you make sure that the team which suffered the foul gets what they deserve - ten yards.  And you never turn your back after placing the ball or setting the wall.

Foy should be spanked by his assessors.

I thought the free role behind Martins should have been given to Dyer rather than Emre.

I was expecting Given to save that free kick, but he just didn't get a strong enough hand on it. Not what you'd call a mistake, but most of the time he does better.

They won because they had better players. We put up a good fight, but we really needed to take our chances when they came. I'd like to have seen Martins hit that chance that he had in the second half first time. Shearer had the right idea - hit it early and hit it hard.

What a shot from him in the first half though. It was just a swing of the leg, no body weight behind it at all, but he managed to get a lot of power into it.

Shay Given - 7 - Good.

Nobby Solano - 9 - Excellent. Good interception, good distribution, good anticipation.

Steven Taylor - 9 - See above. Some very good football intelligence.

Peter Ramage - 7 - Good effort, but poor technical and some poor decision makings.

Paul Hutington - 8 - Very good. Good intelligence. At first I doubt his aggression, but as the game proceeds his confidence improves.

James Milner - 7 - Good effort. But too predictable.

Kieron Dyer - 6 - Largely ineffective.

Scott Parker - 8 - Done well in suffocating Chelsea's play.

Nicky Butt - 8 - Quietly efficient.

Emre - 7 - Tries hard, but drops too deep too often.

Martins - 8 - Audacious.

Glenn Roeder - 7 - Prepare the team well in not losing the game. Unable to make tactical change to win a game however.

Glenn Hysén (former liverpool CB) praised our defense, especially taylor and ramage in the middle and also thought that solano and huntington did quite well for not normally playing in those positions...

Im glad that Taylor is playing so so well these days..But also ramage has done quite well, not as good as taylor but still...

One hell of a shot martins i must say, too bad he often was lonely

ROBBED

Martisn shot went over the line Dyerw as shoved over in the box just before they broke for Robbens dive and the freekick Drogba scored.

BUT late changes from us had no impact Roeder must learn to change it sooner, and not give players just 7 mins to have an effect on the game.