Joelinton

Stifler

The press boys have been saying that we won't be doing the up front in full anymore and will pay installments to get more deals done this window. However, if we do pay this up front then, we'll know that we'll not be sending much else this window!

The interesting thing here is we may be seeing a slight change in what happened previously with Carr's suggestions for players, where we often seemed to go for his cheapest recommendations. This seems to be a player that would be at the higher end.

If we start shopping at the high end of the recruitment teams list it will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

It could very well be that we get away with having a more rudimentary manager in charge.

no way are paying this transfer up front

It's how we usually prefer to do all deals isnt it? If we have the Perez money and labeled "50m" in the bank theres no reason we cant.

Plus it means we can cry poverty when it comes to making more signings.

"Look, the kitty's empty!"

Bingo!

I just don't see how this will be an appreciating asset when the team is utter dogshit.

Perez was an appreciating asset, he was dirt cheap and Rafa made him brilliant. Longstaff came from nowhere and Rafa made him brilliant.

I guess it could happen, but it seems an absolutely mad way to try and run your team.

They seem to be trying to switch it around with a basic manager and high end talent.

We'll see what transpires. Hell of a risk really. I think ideally, you always aim to have a top manager in place for more consistent success.

Confirmation, if needed, that Bruce has minimal input in transfers. It's probably for the best.

Lets hope he has minimal input on team selection and tactics as well.

He's probably just being told to stand there and look pretty for the cameras.

Who the fuck IS in charge of transfers, Charnley?  :lol:

The thought of him dealing with vulturous agents is hilarious. No wonder we (apparently) spend so much on agent's fees, I bet they have a fucking field day with thumbhead

To be fair I can't wait to see what he and Almiron can do together. Unpopular opinion I know.

they'll sign saint-maxim once they get his agent to upset things so much they accept a pittance and that'll be our front 3...probably a very good one tbf

I just don't see how this will be an appreciating asset when the team is utter dogshit.

Perez was an appreciating asset, he was dirt cheap and Rafa made him brilliant. Longstaff came from nowhere and Rafa made him brilliant.

I guess it could happen, but it seems an absolutely mad way to try and run your team.

They seem to be trying to switch it around with a basic manager and high end talent.

We'll see what transpires. Hell of a risk really. I think ideally, you always aim to have a top manager in place for more consistent success.

Also one big signing can't carry a whole team, we saw this in the Shepherd days when you had Shearer or Owen surrounded by has beens and bargain buys.

You would need to have four or five quality  players coming in to make an impact. It might work unless your manager was a cretin like Pardew or Mcclaren.

:lol: Slightly simmering at the idea that Bruce is the manager we've decided to back, rather than the world class manager who wanted to build something here.

Bruce isn't really being backed though is he? He's been hired as a yes man for our transfer policy. If he starts whining about not having any say on who comes in, he'll have Mike's shiny brogues landing hard in the seat of his pants.

so it appears the main split between Rafa and the club can be boiled down to Rafa wanting more control on the incomings while the club appears to want to go for a DOF model (obviously theres probably more but I'd bet this was the main sticking point). Not sure if one model is really better than the other but the main problem with the DOF model for nufc is most other clubs that implement it have a coherent football philosophy in mind they're trying to build over time regardless of who the head coach is while the only philosophy NUFC have is buying players they can sell on for big profits.

Also one big signing can't carry a whole team, we saw this in the Shepherd days when you had Shearer or Owen surrounded by has beens and bargain buys.

You would need to have four or five quality  players coming in to make an impact. It might work unless your manager was a cretin like Pardew or Mcclaren.

It's looking like that's going to be the case.

Well ... potentially quality anyway. Certainly won't be guaranteed finished articles, but seems they'll be well thought of talents.

There is no DOF, its flim flam.  Charnley has a list of players on a database and buys anything with a potential resale value within the budget. The rest of the squad is made up of frees, crocks and dodgy loans. There is no squad building going on. It's the same set of rules from 2009.

Newcastle also don't have a DOF.

clearly the chief scout is kinda acting as one since this transfer seems one he really wanted to get through.

DOF would look to build a squad and depth, we have none of that.