Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Think the issue is that if he's not able to consistently rinse players with his dribbling then he's not offering much as he really struggles to link up well with his teammates.

His movement off the ball is really poor, he never seems to receive the ball in any position other than on the touchline facing a fullback. How often do you see him make a run into a clever space to receive the ball in a good spot, or making a run that drags a defender out of position to create space for a teammate? Those little one touch quick passing moves we like in the buildup are very hard to do with him as he doesn't move very well and he also isn't quick to release the ball.

He's a very good player but he's just a terrible fit for the way Howe wants us to play in possession. Also, the way we play without the ball is also very intense and he keeps picking up these injuries. I do wonder if his body is not able for it, physically.

I do think we'll move on from him in the summer and it'll be best for all concerned.

Assuming the injury is nothing serious, he does have a big role to play down the stretch for us though. We're so thin on the flanks that he'll see plenty of action. Hopefully he can produce a few moments of magic and get us into the CL spots.

Taking yesterday's performance to prove he's not good enough is quite disingenuous, considering he couldn't run towards the end of the half.

He's clearly adapting his game to be more of a team player to fit in with Howe's style of play.  Proving he wants to be a part of what we are building.  He's certainly less selfish than the Maxi of old.  We've all seen him destroy teams on his own in the past, and even recently has looked very sharp, his understanding with Isak especially, don't quite understand why we should immediately push him out of the door.

It's like witnessing Roberts treatment all over again, towards the end of his time here.

The fact he's injured a-fucking-gain is the kicker for me, in terms of the keep him/sell him debate. Whether he ever fully assimilates into Howe's style of play is basically a moot point now, imo. 

The image of him lining up for another PL team who have a greater focus on counter-attacking (say Villa/Wolves, cos I don't think the likes of ManU/Liverpool would go near him) saddens and scares me in equal measure. However, if a team on the continent came on with a reasonable offer I'd hope we'd take it and find a more suitable replacement. 

15 minutes ago, dcmk said:

Taking yesterday's performance to prove he's not good enough is quite disingenuous, considering he couldn't run towards the end of the half.

He's clearly adapting his game to be more of a team player to fit in with Howe's style of play.  Proving he wants to be a part of what we are building.  He's certainly less selfish than the Maxi of old.  We've all seen him destroy teams on his own in the past, and even recently has looked very sharp, his understanding with Isak especially, don't quite understand why we should immediately push him out of the door.

It's like witnessing Roberts treatment all over again, towards the end of his time here.

It’s nothing like Robert

Robert had countless assists and goals for us and often changed games , he was treble as effective and a set piece threat

ASM is 26 and doesn’t have the right output yet

His injury record now is pretty shocking. I'm not sure he's been fully fit since September now has he? Despite multiple comebacks.

Edited by 80

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The fact he's injured a-fucking-gain is the kicker for me, in terms of the keep him/sell him debate. Whether he ever fully assimilates into Howe's style of play is basically a moot point now, imo. 

The image of him lining up for another PL team who have a greater focus on counter-attacking (say Villa/Wolves, cos I don't think the likes of ManU/Liverpool would go near him) saddens and scares me in equal measure. However, if a team on the continent came on with a reasonable offer I'd hope we'd take it and find a more suitable replacement. 

It doesn’t sadden me, I see that as his level

56 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

I think we should probably give him the benefit of the doubt that he was actually struggling with his hamstring like Howe suggested. And he was rightly taken off. Don't think that's a problem with his performance if he's injured... 

He can't help his hamstrings! 

I can't help but feel that he's been getting the benefit of the doubt over his injuries for too long now.

Anyway, it's not really about that particular performance last night. It's about his overall strengths and weaknesses, and whether his style really fits in with the team that Eddie is trying to develop. Yes, he's making an effort to adjust, but as someone else said earlier, he still looks like a round peg in a square hole.

17 minutes ago, 80 said:

His injury record now is pretty shocking. I'm not sure he's been fully fit since September now has he? Despite multiple comebacks.

He hasn't been fully fit since 2019.

14 hours ago, Mountain said:

He's not like his old self, he seems to have lost a yard and he wasn't even trying to take people on today.

I don't know what the issue is.

Maybe it's just all the injuries over the years.

That might have been his injury tbf. I've been fairly critical of him this season but wouldn't want to judge him if he was only half fit.

He plays like someone nervous that if he opens up fully his hamstring will go. People like dyer and Owen had the same issue for years. I think it's really difficult if you are an explosive player like him and are scared to run full speed in fear of getting injured. Even when it looks like he's not going 100% he is still picking up the odd strain here and there aswell. 

However the last few times he's looked most useful have actually been when he plays central. Liverpool after the red and Forrest before the goal. He seems to come alive abit more with his movement. 

Hopefully something Howe might explore. Also negates his defensive weaknesses a little aswell by him not being on the wing. 

@ThumbheedI didn't say he wasn't a threat. He absolutely is doubled up on too. However, he doesn't score or assist often enough. 3 assists and 1 goal in 18 games for a team in 5th isn't a great return for someone who wants to be starting every game, and if he's not contributing defensively (as he rarely does) he's not offering much other than a perceived threat.

On the other hand, to his defence, by him being double up on, this frees up other players such as Almiron which has obviously benefitted him (and us).

26 minutes ago, Heron said:

@ThumbheedI didn't say he wasn't a threat. He absolutely is doubled up on too. However, he doesn't score or assist often enough. 3 assists and 1 goal in 18 games for a team in 5th isn't a great return for someone who wants to be starting every game, and if he's not contributing defensively (as he rarely does) he's not offering much other than a perceived threat.

On the other hand, to his defence, by him being double up on, this frees up other players such as Almiron which has obviously benefitted him (and us).

As you say he's often doubled up on which makes his job exponentially harder and yet he's still able to produce at times, so how do you factor that in when discussing 2 dimensional stats? And yeh totally agree his influence goes beyond what he does with the ball. I remember Jonas having the exact same impact, strong dribbler who would drag opposition teams shape and create space for Barton to produce - which he did. Jonas was often slated whilst Barton got all the plaudits.

Not getting around the fact he's been poor this season, but of those 18 games only 9 were starts and he's often been subbed on in the latter stages of the game. 

I'm not actually his biggest fan myself, but I can't discount how important he was under Bruce and that's contribution alone shows how good a player he actually is. 

If he’s sold in the summer, which I suspect he may well be, it’ll be interesting to see what level of clubs come in for him. I very much doubt it will be a club above us in stature or ambition and that says it all.

The Problem with selling him is we will need another player to come in, when we already need six or seven new recruits as it is. Cannot see us spending enough to get all the players we need. Especially if we're gonna be looking at the English Market. 

I still like him and think he should be starting injuries permitting. On top of that we need a squad next season given we should hopefully be playing some kind of European football and he'll still get game time given the turnaround between matches. As the above post says there are so many in the squad (even those still out on loan) that need replacing well before ASM.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want him to shine with us, but he needs to get himself fully fit for that to happen. A good pre-season will help in that regard. 

I like that he acknowledged that he’s a different player under Howe and realises that he has to defend. I think that structure has harmed his game although he’s clearly trying to improve tactically