Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

When it comes to reflecting on a player's time at the club I always try to consider the context of the moment. 

Like many fans, I think my club is a special one. At the same time, St James' Park is not like every stadium. It's a big place - and that's before you fill it up with fans. It can be a tough place to play, especially when we had Mike Ashley sabotaging the team at almost every turn.

When Maxi signed we were in an emotional valley as fans. We'd lost a great manager and it was clear that mediocrity was a step above our aspirations. 

Maxi stood opposed to that. He's an entertainer. He kept you engaged in the team and the game, and at several times during the Bruce era, he threw the team on his back and carried us across the line. He didn't shirk the responsibility - he seemed to revel in it. He engaged with the fans in a way that felt authentic. I always felt like he appreciated us, and whether he did or not is irrelevant, because it's about how they make you feel. 

I hoped he could come on this journey with us because he has the talent. The fact we're going in different directions is sad, but I do wish him nothing but success because he was great entertainment and that's what this silly little game is about anyway.

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Speaking of N'Zogbia, what the hell happened to him? No trace of him on Twitter or Instagram, etc. 

“Warnock recently went digging to see where N’Zogbia ended up after he left the Midlands is another story of its own.

“I googled him, and there was nothing after his Villa days,” Warnock says, puzzled.

It’s because he never played professional football again, despite only being 30 when he departed Villa Park.

In the latter stages of his five years at the club, Villa tried to fix N’Zogbia with a move to AEK Athens in Greece and also offered potential options in the Middle East but he turned them down every time.

There was a trial at Sunderland, then a top-flight team, after he was released following Villa’s relegation to the Championship in 2016 but David Moyes decided against offering him a deal. Then, when a move to FC Nantes of France looked on, it was discovered during medical testing that N’Zogbia had an underlying heart problem and he never played again.

What happened after that, though, remains a blur.

Still only 34, he has never officially announced his retirement or spoken out about whether the heart problem actually did stop him from playing again. Many old team-mates haven’t heard from him for years and his previously populated social media pages have been inactive for even longer — the last tweet from his account was posted in July 2015.

When trying to track down N’Zogbia, The Athletic discovered he now keeps a low profile back in France. His long-term representative didn’t answer calls or respond to messages and those who are close to him chose not to discuss his personal life. Multiple journalists in France say he has been off the radar for some time. Prominent football figures in his homeland say they haven’t heard from him, either.

N’Zogbia did not respond to calls or reply to messages from The Athletic asking for guidance on the years that have followed his professional career.

However, a WhatsApp profile picture of him holding a cigar with a sunny backdrop suggests life is treating him well.

Yet whether he ever reflects on what might have been during a career which showed so much promise, only he knows.”

https://theathletic.com/1969589/2020/08/06/charles-nzogbia-aston-villa-wigan-newcastle-mystery-heart-condition/?access_token=8349337&redirected=1

5 minutes ago, aa5773 said:

He didnt want to leave Newcastle, he want CL football.

But he agreed to leave because FFP thing to help Newcastle

But he didnt want to move to the kingdom to play for Al Ahli, prefer other PL teams or Europe

But Newcastle "suggested" Al Ahli

Beside, no other club would met Newcastle value of him, his value are really low nowaday

You have very detailed knowledge of this deal. 

6 minutes ago, aa5773 said:

But he didnt want to move to the kingdom to play for Al Ahli, prefer other PL teams or Europe

Beside, no other club would met Newcastle value of him, his value are really low nowaday

Doesn't even rhyme. Poor. 2/10

10 minutes ago, aa5773 said:

Any thoughts on Frimpong or Livramento? 

3 hours ago, Manxst said:

“Warnock recently went digging to see where N’Zogbia ended up after he left the Midlands is another story of its own.

“I googled him, and there was nothing after his Villa days,” Warnock says, puzzled.

It’s because he never played professional football again, despite only being 30 when he departed Villa Park.

In the latter stages of his five years at the club, Villa tried to fix N’Zogbia with a move to AEK Athens in Greece and also offered potential options in the Middle East but he turned them down every time.

There was a trial at Sunderland, then a top-flight team, after he was released following Villa’s relegation to the Championship in 2016 but David Moyes decided against offering him a deal. Then, when a move to FC Nantes of France looked on, it was discovered during medical testing that N’Zogbia had an underlying heart problem and he never played again.

What happened after that, though, remains a blur.

Still only 34, he has never officially announced his retirement or spoken out about whether the heart problem actually did stop him from playing again. Many old team-mates haven’t heard from him for years and his previously populated social media pages have been inactive for even longer — the last tweet from his account was posted in July 2015.

When trying to track down N’Zogbia, The Athletic discovered he now keeps a low profile back in France. His long-term representative didn’t answer calls or respond to messages and those who are close to him chose not to discuss his personal life. Multiple journalists in France say he has been off the radar for some time. Prominent football figures in his homeland say they haven’t heard from him, either.

N’Zogbia did not respond to calls or reply to messages from The Athletic asking for guidance on the years that have followed his professional career.

However, a WhatsApp profile picture of him holding a cigar with a sunny backdrop suggests life is treating him well.

Yet whether he ever reflects on what might have been during a career which showed so much promise, only he knows.”

https://theathletic.com/1969589/2020/08/06/charles-nzogbia-aston-villa-wigan-newcastle-mystery-heart-condition/?access_token=8349337&redirected=1

Sounds like N'Zogbia is winning at life to me.  I've nothing but complete respect for taking the David F Batty route - football was something they do for a bit, it pays ludicrously well, and then off to enjoy the company of friends and family in a life of complete comfort.  I genuinely think that if I'd had the talent to reach that level and make that sort of money, that would have been my life too - who would need to continue to live in the public spotlight?  Sounds like a nightmare, to me.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Sounds like N'Zogbia is winning at life to me.  I've nothing but complete respect for taking the David F Batty route - football was something they do for a bit, it pays ludicrously well, and then off to enjoy the company of friends and family in a life of complete comfort.  I genuinely think that if I'd had the talent to reach that level and make that sort of money, that would have been my life too - who would need to continue to live in the public spotlight?  Sounds like a nightmare, to me.

Coincidentally two of three players I had on the back of shirts as a kid. And yes, I think I’d be the same unless I could get a cushy low pressure media gig thereafter.

1 hour ago, aa5773 said:

You are Martin Niemoller and I claim my £5

10 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

So what’s happening with this deal then..?

My wild speculation.  Stuck at the PL.  We went ahead with Barnes as two fingers up the the PL saying we’d lose a target and we needed him in pre season so they were screwing us due to their slowness approving. Making it clear that that if they now reject ffp issues are due to them. 

I’ve pulled this from my arse but it would not surprise me.  One thing we do know is that they are slow in everything they do. 

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

3 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Based on what rule could the FA possibly block an outgoing transfer?

They can’t but if they thought he was only worth 20 million that’s all that would go down against FFP. So if we received 30 million the other 10 wouldn’t count.

Edited by Whitley mag

21 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Based on what rule could the FA possibly block an outgoing transfer?

Think you're meaning the PL rather than the FA? Cause they've been bought a while before we joined the party. 

6 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Levy lobbying Masters right now on how Maxi has no French caps and is a perma crock.

He might want to take a look in the mirror for paying £60m for that 2 goal useless cunt first.