Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Gazza was always actually up to antics though, same as the other players that have been mentioned. The antics ASM has got up to amount to going to DisneyLand while injured or playing a board game.

Point being, never has there been so much smoke for such little fire, if that makes sense.

5 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Honestly think it's just a case of people wanting to be ITK rather than racist. Dubravaka went out on loan then there's stories about it being because he kicked off and through his gloves at Eddie yet first game back he's starting for us. Just a couple of weeks ago people were claiming Ben White wenr home from the World Cup as he was shagging blokes ffs [emoji38]

Couple of years ago people were claiming Bobby Madley resigned as a ref as he was shagging dogs. :cheesy:

Attitudes to ASM clearly go deeper than racism/xenophobia. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if it plays a part in some situations. 

He is black, French, a skilful winger/playmaker, is not the most consistent or hard-working*, wears Gucci and active on social media. Combination of some of these can typically contribute to speculation about someone’s attitude in my view. Even if you leave his race out, the skilful but mercurial French/North African winger/playmaker seems to (rightly or wrongly) have a few notable examples. 

*I don’t watch him as much as some, but I wouldn’t say he’s particularly lazy anyway - just not good at defending. But that and the other things might contribute to that view of him. Either way, I think players are often known for their work rate due to their lack of ability (Ritchie, Gouffran etc). No one comments about how hard-working Bruno or Trippier are, for example. 

(I know I lazily named myself after him, which is a bit lame. Bit late to change now…)

Edited by St. Maximin

1 minute ago, St. Maximin said:

Attitudes to ASM clearly go deeper than racism/xenophobia. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if it plays a part in some situations. 

He is black, French, a skilful winger/playmaker, is not the most consistent or hard-working*, wears Gucci and active on social media. Combined these typically encourage speculation about someone’s attitude. Even if you leave his race out, the skilful but mercurial French/North African winger/playmaker seems to (rightly or wrongly) have a few notable examples. 

*I don’t watch him as much as some, but I wouldn’t say he’s particularly lazy anyway - just not good at defending. But that and the other things might contribute to that view of him. Either way, I think players are often known for their work rate due to their lack of ability (Ritchie, Gouffran etc). No one comments about how hard-working Bruno or Trippier are, for example. 

(I know I lazily named myself after him, which is a bit lame. Bit late to change now…)

You'd never see Bruno or Trippier sauntering back in to position so much. I've been at games where he's literally 2/3 into their half when the ball is on the edge of our penalty box.

11 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

You'd never see Bruno or Trippier sauntering back in to position so much. I've been at games where he's literally 2/3 into their half when the ball is on the edge of our penalty box.

I saw him sprint the length of the pitch against Wolves to try and help defend and that was late on in the game 

And even in his recent appearances off the bench you see him try and defend more, he's just not good at defending 

Guest reefatoon

He’s just a frustrating player. He has all the talent in the world but his head drops so much when it isn’t going his way. Defenders have sussed that if they get at him he doesn’t like it. He spends to much time lying around after every tackle looking for a free kick. Then gets up and hobbles around for a while. Defenders know they have the better of him when they tackle aggressively. He doesn’t like it and it then affects his game. It’s the mental side of his game he needs to work on, because for me, if he can get past that he would be a world beater.

He's a mercurial player, and I think the pressing game Eddie is implementing doesn't really suit his type, modern high level football doesn't really accomodate passengers like it used to due to the nature of the demands on players to press in certain areas etc. I do get the frustration with him, however he can be a joy to watch. It is so unfortunate he got injured when he did tbh, people seem to have forgotten he was trying to buy into Howe's style just before, he had worked hard, and he absolutely destroyed Kyle Walker against City. I don't think he will ever be consistent in defensive duties and even when he's trying I don't think he's very good at them, but we do have a problem with creating goals which has been masked by Almiron becoming Messi like. When he's on the pitch we are more dangerous, it's just always going to be a bit of a tradeoff, security at the back or danger going forward. I imagine he will get moved on when we pull in more high class attacking talent who do everything, but I will be very fond of him and he definitely does not deserve a lot of the hate at him.

Never paid attention to the Bruno or ASM social media output before games. Not until it was flagged on here. 

But it seems like Maxi is peddling his card game again or whatever it is. But not his usual pre-game tweet. 

Worrying :lol: 

His physique is not suited to the continual high-press strategy we play with, it's one for explosive pace and strength. He's built like a sprinter, not a marathon runner. Compare his build to Longstaff's or Almiron's. Joelinton is a freak of nature and isn't a fair comparison, but his long, gainly stride that comes with his height helps him cover more ground easily.

I don't think he's an ideal player in the team that we're trying to be.  I think we'd have to change him so much to play the way the team does that we'd lose his best attributes.

Maxi was my favourite player since he joined the club, a beacon in the fog, a flicker of joy in an overwhelming fog of apathy. 

Not sure where this post is going, probably something along the lines of 'thank you for getting me through the Bruce years', but his time must be surely coming to an end with us at some point in the near future. And when he does move on, I'd wish him every success wherever he goes. Can see him ending up at a club like Everton if not abroad.

34 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Where are we a pre-game tweet watch? Any sign yet?

I don't have Twitter but.......he went out in his Lambo 9ish, was back in its parking spot at 12ish

Read into that what you will

Edited by bobbydazzla