Coronavirus in football

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

If we won the FA Cup, I'd get absolutely mortal and gan radge.

Obviously would prefer it with Rafa, and with a crowd - no argument about that.

But I wouldn't turn it down because of the circumstances. Can't understand that viewpoint at all.

I think you're a bit narrow minded if you 'can't understand' why someone would get no joy out of us winning the cup; and suggests that, as far at you're concerned, you're not bothered what the club means to you or how it represents you beyond the badge on the shirt. Newcastle by default.

But if course a club isn't just the badge on the shirt, it's so much more than that; it's beyond definition, really but I'd call it an extension of you. And the club I grew up supporting, and proud to support - yearning for us to win every single game and desperate to feel something resembling success - doesn't presently exist. For it to achieve something like winning the FA Cup in its present state of being would feel quite painful to me. I wouldn't feel happy, and then I'd feel sad and angry that I didn't feel happy. Such is Ashley's NUFC.

It's the same as not caring whether we win or lose a league game; except rather than me being essentially over that existential quandary by Monday morning, it would go down in history and I'd have to live with the fact that I essentially 'missed' the greatest moment in the club's modern history. I could really do without that so I'd rather the whole thing just got fucked off until I could feel like the club represented something worth following again.

Then there's the thing about the current coronavirus situation of course. Right now it feels like they're only finishing the season just so they can finally overcome the administrative headache caused by the pandemic. Everything feels very hollow from here on in. I feel for Liverpool fans a bit (not much) in that context. Nothing that happens now has the right amount of occasion attached to it.

I think you're a bit narrow minded if you 'can't understand' why someone would get no joy out of us winning the cup; and suggests that, as far at you're concerned, you're not bothered what the club means to you or how it represents you beyond the badge on the shirt. Newcastle by default.

But if course a club isn't just the badge on the shirt, it's so much more than that; it's beyond definition, really but I'd call it an extension of you. And the club I grew up supporting, and proud to support - yearning for us to win every single game and desperate to feel something resembling success - doesn't presently exist. For it to achieve something like winning the FA Cup in its present state of being would feel quite painful to me. I wouldn't feel happy, and then I'd feel sad and angry that I didn't feel happy. Such is Ashley's NUFC.

It's the same as not caring whether we win or lose a league game; except rather than me being essentially over that existential quandary by Monday morning, it would go down in history and I'd have to live with the fact that I essentially 'missed' the greatest moment in the club's modern history. I could really do without that so I'd rather the whole thing just got fucked off until I could feel like the club represented something worth following again.

Then there's the thing about the current coronavirus situation of course. Right now it feels like they're only finishing the season just so they can finally overcome the administrative headache caused by the pandemic. Everything feels very hollow from here on in. I feel for Liverpool fans a bit (not much) in that context. Nothing that happens now has the right amount of occasion attached to it.

:thup:

Whenever I read a Yorkie post I feel like it perfectly sums up how I feel about most discussions on this board, just a shit ton more eloquently than I ever could.

We've not won a domestic title in 68 years. We could easily not win a title in our lifetimes.

What's the long game here? The takeover falls through - what would you do then? Stop watching us? Completely detach from the club?

What happens if the takeover go through? We win a trophy in a few years with the Saudis, but how would you feel celebrating that, if their human rights abuses are worse than they are now? What happens if they chop up another Journalist? What happens if the war in Yemen, gets more bloody, and they commit worst atrocities?

Happy to celebrate an FA Cup win in a few years, because there is no coronavirus, and those fat cunts Bruce and Ashley are gone? What happens if our club is used more as a propageda tool by the Saudis? Happy to celebrate an FA Cup because we have our club back?

:smitten: :smitten:

It's the same as not caring whether we win or lose a league game; except rather than me being essentially over that existential quandary by Monday morning, it would go down in history and I'd have to live with the fact that I essentially 'missed' the greatest moment in the club's modern history. I could really do without that so I'd rather the whole thing just got f***ed off until I could feel like the club represented something worth following again.

:thup:

Whenever I read a Yorkie post I feel like it perfectly sums up how I feel about most discussions on this board, just a s*** ton more eloquently than I ever could.

There's merits in both arguments, I totally get where Yorkie is coming from.

I want Ashley out, and Saudis in. But I am conflicted. And I do wrestle with that.

It's not black and white. Pardon the pun.

Cheers for the nice comment, Wormy.

I'm grappling with the moral quandary of a Saudi ownership too and I've more-or-less concluded that I can re-attach and follow the club in a traditional sense - on the single proviso that the new owners want NUFC to be the best football club it can be. I think, as football fans, we should be allowed to measure our fandom against football business, and I don't believe supporting the club means you'd be complicit in human rights atrocities and conflict in the Middle East.

However, this argument isn't about a Saudi-led Newcastle United, and I don't want to infect the coronavirus thread with any more of that chatter: this is an argument about Ashley's Newcastle United.

I would take no joy from Ashley's NUFC somehow winning the FA Cup for the reasons stated, regardless of what the future might bring, in the same way I take no joy from beating Crystal Palace on any other Saturday. For me, the club has become irreparably tainted with Ashley-itis so I'd far rather not have to deal with the existential nightmare of a cup win.

Besides, it's not even like I need a cup win to feel love and adoration and feel connected and satisfied with the club. But if it were to happen, I'd hate for me to not find it unbelievably special.

We've got Man City in the quarters lads, relax.

Exactly this.  We have stumbled past two league one sides and a depleted championship team.  How anyone thinks we are going to win the FA Cup is beyond me.

We've got Man City in the quarters lads, relax.

Exactly this.  We have stumbled past two league one sides and a depleted championship team.  How anyone thinks we are going to win the FA Cup is beyond me.

Don't think anyone does.

Approximately zero people have done this in Germany.

All northern clubs too, no surprise. Man Utd v Sheff Utd? Us v Man City? It’s basically labelling groups of society that they deem less responsible or trusted than the average and accusing them indirectly of being happy to spread a deadly virus. Obviously relegation clubs are good lads with honest intentions.

I’m no Liverpool fan, far from it, but given how their game with Atletico likely caused many more cases it’s particularly distasteful IMO.

Approximately zero people have done this in Germany.

All northern clubs too, no surprise. Man Utd v Sheff Utd? Us v Man City? It’s basically labelling groups of society that they deem less responsible or trusted than the average and accusing them indirectly of being happy to spread a deadly virus. Obviously relegation clubs are good lads with honest intentions.

I’m no Liverpool fan, far from it, but given how their game with Atletico likely caused many more cases it’s particularly distasteful IMO.

Yup, it's an incredibly degrading idea, especially after they agreed not to do after the bottom 6 raised a stink.

Don’t get me wrong us English are not usually responsible or trustworthy, hence why we can’t have a pint at the game, and the rest, but it’s utterly disgusting they’re labelling groups of fans in a hierarchical way like this. The police should be made to come out and state this on the record too.

Couldn't the police just break up any gatherings outside the stadiums? There's a huge number of police there usually anyway. Also put out a warning beforehand about on the spot fines and that'll cut it down a bit as well.

once it starts teams will have to be quick out of the blocks to ensure they're ok, few months break may not seem much, but who knows how the teams will react, some are usually very good at the beginning and fade others take a while to get going, which could be detrimental.I think there are a few twists and turns yet to come.