Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

I think the beIN intervention is likely the death knell for the deal. It gives the Premier League the economic rationale to reject it, in addition to the political cover provided by Amnesty and the general media outcry.

Every post I see of Penn's is absurdly negative and he's offline minutes after posting it. :lol:

Decent thread that.that.

Yep, good thread that.

I was about to wade in and say that Saudi and Qatar can’t stand each other and are pretty much in a diplomatic war with each other. This is more about politics, national pride and finance than it is about broadcasting rights. Qatar don’t want Saudi outperforming them on the football pitch for a start.

I think the PL should be aware of this and not want to be part of a diplomatic imbroglio.

I think the beIN intervention is likely the death knell for the deal. It gives the Premier League the economic rationale to reject it, in addition to the political cover provided by Amnesty and the general media outcry.

Bore off.

Does anyone know what is actually in the test? Might be an idea.

Have you been declared bankrupt.

Have you been convicted of a crime.

That is all.

Thought it would be something like that :lol:

As if the PL are sitting in moral judgement over anyone.

Every post I see of Penn's is absurdly negative and he's offline minutes after posting it. :lol:

Textbook WUM

Why does it always have to be so difficult, man. Just announce the fucking takeover, please. Can't bear this shite anymore. :lol:

Trying to get this deal over the line with the entire world trying to stop it

giphy.gif

Does anyone know what is actually in the test? Might be an idea.

Have you been declared bankrupt.

Have you been convicted of a crime.

That is all.

It's not. There is mention in there of illegal broadcasting.

Why does it always have to be so difficult, man. Just announce the fucking takeover, please. Can't bear this shite anymore. :lol:

It doesn't, just your much more invested in this one. Chill out, go to bed, everything's gonna be cool.

This is the test (EFL website but I'm fairly certain that it is the same test the PL use): https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-3---owners-and-directors-test/

A lot of legalese that I can't really follow but I'm guessing this is the sticking point:

(v) dishonestly receiving a programme broadcast from within the UK with intent to avoid payment under Section 297 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988;

It specifically states that it only applies to unspent convictions from within England and Wales though (which seems fairly ridiculous and anachronistic but there we go) so it's hard to see how this would apply.

This is the test (EFL website but I'm fairly certain that it is the same test the PL use): https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-3---owners-and-directors-test/

A lot of legalese that I can't really follow but I'm guessing this is the sticking point:

(v) dishonestly receiving a programme broadcast from within the UK with intent to avoid payment under Section 297 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988;

It specifically states that it only applies to unspent convictions from within England and Wales though (which seems fairly ridiculous and anachronistic but there we go) so it's hard to see how this would apply.

Here's the Premier League version (see Section F beginning on page 121): https://resources.premierleague.com/premierleague/document/2020/04/17/049a315f-f4a8-4706-bcec-75ec9ddf7f73/2019-20-PL-Handbook-170420.pdf

Ah thanks so the PL version specifies that convictions abroad also count, but otherwise that particular rule is the same (as set out in Appendix 1). Don't see how it changes anything really.

Here's the Premier League version (see Section F beginning on page 121): https://resources.premierleague.com/premierleague/document/2020/04/17/049a315f-f4a8-4706-bcec-75ec9ddf7f73/2019-20-PL-Handbook-170420.pdf

I think the argument would be that copyright infringement regarding unauthorized broadcast of games is an offence designated in Appendix 1, at page 483, which is disqualifying for a prospective director under rules F.1.6 and F.1.5.3 on page 121.  I doubt it will be taken seriously.

The Premier League isn't going to be doing a full police investigation into anything. They will simply be checking if they have been convicted of any wrong doing. If they haven't been convicted for anything then they don't have grounds to deny the buyers.

Ah thanks so the PL version specifies that convictions abroad also count, but otherwise that particular rule is the same (as set out in Appendix 1). Don't see how it changes anything really.

But no conviction  ?