Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

What, even if they're just saying "You can't join our group"?

I think we might be confusing the size of the organisation, which is admittedly massive, with the fundamental concept which is it's a members-only club that they say they reserve the right to reject you from.

I think we might be confusing the size of the organisation, which is admittedly massive, with the fundamental concept which is it's a members-only club that they say they reserve the right to reject you from.

its still not immune to litigation. They have to give their reasons and apply their ODT fairly.

I can’t help thinking there will be government pressure to approve this. Maybe our only saving grace as it seems everything else is against us.

For all the Qatari public pressure, I can’t believe that the Saudis are just sitting silently taking this.

I would imagine they have made some representation to the U.K. govt, unofficially of course.

The Qatari’s are certainly not whiter than white, and this could back fire badly on the premier league if they allow them to dictate this decision.

The Premier League don't have a say on who can buy a Championship club. If PIF decided to buy a Championship club on the brink of promotion there would be nothing the Premier League could do to stop them joining the Premier League. The Premier League probably hope NUFC get relegated so they don't have to make a decision.

its still not immune to litigation. They have to give their reasons and apply their ODT fairly.

Exactly this, they can’t just say “we can’t find any reason not to accept you, but because we don’t like you and one of our partners is objecting, we’re not going to let you in our club”. If the consortium meet the criteria and were rejected anyway, lawyers for them will have a field day.

Seems to be a lot of misunderstanding based on that telegraph tweet. It doesn't mean PL can't legally challenge. It just means that (well, qatar are briefing) they think the evidence leaves any case as having no merit or no grounds. It isn't saying they are denied right of challenge, just that they would lose. Again, all just qatari briefings to that effect.

If this does get rejected, PIF probably have enough of a direct interest to appeal, Quatar/BeIn do not. So if it goes through, we're fine, if not if PIF want to  push the political angle, they can. It's not realistic in an M&A deal though - likelihood is that if they do reject, they set some conditions to make it happen, and if they are too much for PIF, they walk away.

I'm pretty sure he is wrong. Judicial review is only available of decisions made by public bodies. It is well established in case law that sports governing bodies are not judicially reviewable.

See R -v- Football Association Ltd, ex parte Football League Ltd [1992] 2 All 833

And: https://www.ashurst.com/en/news-and-insights/legal-updates/judicial-review/

"The following characteristics have been considered relevant to whether an act or function can be reviewed.

The "but for" test: in other words, whether, but for the existence of a non-statutory body, the functions exercised by such body would inevitably be regulated by statute.  Bodies which have been considered amenable to judicial review using this test include the Advertising Standards Authority2 and the Takeover Panel3.  However, the Football Association's decisions escaped review as the court held that if the Football Association did not exist, the state would not have found it necessary to perform its functions4."

I may be wrong - but there's lot of reading out there on this - or may be thinking of a different judicial mechanism.

Don't know who is right but if you are Greg, then could the PL just turn round and go - takeover denied because......well we can't be arsed with the hassle? Or we don't like NUFC as we love Sunderland.......  and PIF wouldn't be able to legally challenge.  Seems ridiculous if true

He's now clarified after we exchanged a few DMs on Twitter :lol:

What I will say the amount of propaganda and reporting of one sided stories from the British press is a disgrace, considering everything they report should be balanced journalism according to the rules and regulations. It would be funny if Edward’s was banned from SJP for his propaganda spouting.

Maybe Edwards is right. Perhaps Caulkin has been duped by AS into thinking this takeover is a foregone conclusion and perhaps the reality is that it's on a knife edge or worse, on the verge of being rejected by the PL.

What's for certain at this stage, is that these journalists arent finding information out but instead they are being told information, all of which is tainted by political spin.

Even those with supposed legal expertise are being used by either side to bolster their side of the arguement.

Trying to discern the truth in all of this is virtually impossible.

Don’t know about you guys, but I get up on a morning full of optimism and confidence that the deals going to go through and today might be that day, and as the day goes on and the propaganda is broadcast, I get a sinking feeling more and more that it’s going to be knocked back.

Don’t know about you guys, but I get up on a morning full of optimism and confidence that the deals going to go through and today might be that day, and as the day goes on and the propaganda is broadcast, I get a sinking feeling more and more that it’s going to be knocked back.

yes because of twats such as luke edwards who comes across as being as thick as 2 short planks , basicly he,s stealing a living

yes because of t***s such as luke edwards who comes across as being as thick as 2 short planks , basicly he,s stealing a living

Your not wrong there, isn’t it ethically wrong to post other peoples stories and try to pass them off as your own

Guest godzilla

Latest bit of non news...

So they've stopped querying them on the piracy issues?  :pow:

Honestly think there will be a decision and announcement by next week

Latest bit of non news...

So they've stopped querying them on the piracy issues?  :pow:

Honestly think there will be a decision and announcement by next week

Same, absolutely no idea which way it will go either.