Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Guest godzilla

Does anyone know what is actually in the test? Might be an idea.

Have you been declared bankrupt.

Have you been convicted of a crime.

That is all.

It's not. There is mention in there of illegal broadcasting.

They have to have hard proof that the persons involved with the takeover were directly involved.

Ah thanks so the PL version specifies that convictions abroad also count, but otherwise that particular rule is the same (as set out in Appendix 1). Don't see how it changes anything really.

Is it not the case that there are no such convictions abroad, and that a potential precedent was dismissed?

It seems to me that if the PL act outside those very narrow guidelines, they are opening themselves up to enormous damages. Which is why I'm full of confidence that the takeover isn't going to be halted because of Bein/BeoutQ or Amnesty International.

This is the test (EFL website but I'm fairly certain that it is the same test the PL use): https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-3---owners-and-directors-test/

A lot of legalese that I can't really follow but I'm guessing this is the sticking point:

(v) dishonestly receiving a programme broadcast from within the UK with intent to avoid payment under Section 297 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988;

It specifically states that it only applies to unspent convictions from within England and Wales though (which seems fairly ridiculous and anachronistic but there we go) so it's hard to see how this would apply.

https://www.arabsat.com/english/media-center/news-press-and-events/corporate/press-release-arabsat

In Summary:  beIN SPORTS attempted to prosecute a case against the Arab Satellite Communications Organization (Arabsat) in the French legal system and the French courts ruled the lawsuit as invalid.  In short, Arabsat was found to have no case to answer - this is a non-issue.

I think the beIN intervention is likely the death knell for the deal. It gives the Premier League the economic rationale to reject it, in addition to the political cover provided by Amnesty and the general media outcry.

Every post I see of Penn's is absurdly negative and he's offline minutes after posting it. :lol:

Aye, on the ignore list.

I think BEIN and the Qatari's are incredibly annoyed at the prospect of the Saudi's having a premier league club, they know that they will go after the TV rights as well the first chance they get, so they are using everything in their power to try and stop it.

Isn’t it PCP who are officially buying the club anyway? Would these things being levelled at Saudi Arabia even effect things?

The people who will be looked at by the premier league are Staveley, The Rueben brother/Jamie Rueben and the chairman of PIF, Yasir Al-Rumayyan. I'm not actually even sure they look at the companies they run/work for.

I just get worried when I see negative press towards this deal. I'm so desperate for this to go through, I cant imagine what itll be like if it doesn't go through. In my mind I always think the worse case scenario and hope that the premier league dont give in to public/media pressure and reject it.

I think

Stopped there.

Why? He's got a very valid point.

ME politics and power playing out in front of our eyes.

As has been said, there's no way the PL will reject them, they'll be desperate for the money and will be terrified they go to one of the other leagues especially in the current financial climate.

All I have in my head is when krusty the clown keeps saying 'ten grand' to everything that gets thrown at him :lol:

That'll be us. Throw money at everything, nee fucks given.  We'll be sound.

We've been too damaged from false dawns before, but this is done like.

It does feel that way. I think the non refundable deposit helps in a small way with the premier league checks.  The premier league will be in zero doubt that if they deny the bid it will go to court.  No one, even billionaires, walk away from that money.  If they try to block the takeover they need to be 100% that it will stand up in court.  Or the premier league themselves will lose money fighting it.

We are not in the world of Liverpool and man united old boys ruling every red card appeal decision against Newcastle then having a laugh in the pub.  It’s the premier league up against a global multi billionaire corporation that has invested substantially already and will lose more if it fails. The grown ups are at the table. 

Guest chopey

If nothing else this has really opened my eyes to just how much everyone else seems to fucking hate us. :lol:

Just want this done now, every new story is letting the doubt creep back in.

It really does, so fuck them, we fill every away end up and down the country and spend a fortune in the process.

I get the feeling because where we are and who we are the rest of the country think we dont deserve it.

Sheffield United have a Saudi prince as an owner. Highly doubt this Amnesty stuff will change s***

There is no way the Royal family will go through with this without being 100% sure. They would not want to look stupid in the media.

Where was Amnesty when they tried to buy Man United or Liverpool though, seriously.

Sheffield United have a Saudi prince as owner, however they aren't owned by the Saudi government.

Amnesty have only come out today, when we're almost finished the deal. Man Utd/Liverpool never got nearly as close as this. Are we seriously trying to suggest now that Amnesty International are also biased against Newcastle?

He's still part of the extended royal family, government and royal family are the same thing there. I'm not trying to suggest bias but where was the outcry from them at Qatar being granted the World Cup?

Here.

The UAE takeover of City?

Chinese and Russian involvement in football? Did I miss something?

Here and here

Out of interest did they write to the Premier League when Fosun took complete control of Wolves? China have arguably a worse HR record than SA. I can't find anything.

Sheffield United have a Saudi prince as an owner. Highly doubt this Amnesty stuff will change s***

There is no way the Royal family will go through with this without being 100% sure. They would not want to look stupid in the media.

Where was Amnesty when they tried to buy Man United or Liverpool though, seriously.

Sheffield United have a Saudi prince as owner, however they aren't owned by the Saudi government.

Amnesty have only come out today, when we're almost finished the deal. Man Utd/Liverpool never got nearly as close as this. Are we seriously trying to suggest now that Amnesty International are also biased against Newcastle?

He's still part of the extended royal family, government and royal family are the same thing there. I'm not trying to suggest bias but where was the outcry from them at Qatar being granted the World Cup?

Here.

The UAE takeover of City?

Chinese and Russian involvement in football? Did I miss something?

Here and here

Out of interest did they write to the Premier League when Fosun took complete control of Wolves? China have arguably a worse HR record than SA. I can't find anything.

Do you think the British state own Newcastle United currently?