Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

I think you're in for a bit of a depressing surprise if you expect it done any time soon.

Yeah, it looks no where near sorted. Hope I'm wrong mind but just cant see it being sorted this month at all.

Don’t think either buyer or seller has expected the level of resistance. The feeling now is the delay is now how to stop it rather than go through.

The best option I am holding on to is that they are waiting for the season to restart then the confirmation can be mixed in with news of games/Liverpool winning the league.

Bit like the Millennium Falcon floating away with all the trash from the Star Destroyer.

The length of time makes me wonder, what if they've failed it, like that chap rom Southampton and they're now trying to remedy whatever it was the PL failed them for. All speculation of course.

When that happened, was it announced they'd failed first or was it announced that they'd initially failed but then passed on appeal or whatever at the same time?

The length of time makes me wonder, what if they've failed it, like that chap rom Southampton and they're now trying to remedy whatever it was the PL failed them for. All speculation of course.

When that happened, was it announced they'd failed first or was it announced that they'd initially failed but then passed on appeal or whatever at the same time?

Seems it was announced, can't find much news about it though.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2017/04/27/lander-grounded-saints-new-225m-deal-table/

Just having a look, doesn't look like it was announced. Could be off here, but it looks like it followed a similar patter to this. Rumoured to be close in April, there were serious doubts in July and it went through in August.

Guest awaymag

How many days until you reckon until this thread hits 1000 pages?

Could be a while without news as the thread is really starting to struggle as the arguments/discussions have been done to death.....looks like most people have lost interested and moved to plane tracking as a pastime.

Caulkin answering questions on the pod on Tyne podcast. Nothing new really. Bulk

Of tests done. All down to piracy which they were answering questions about last week

Caulkin answering questions on the pod on Tyne podcast. Nothing new really. Bulk

Of tests done. All down to piracy which they were answering questions about last week

O0

Trying to look for a positive in this, hopefully this was the final round of questions and the PL now have all the evidence they need to make a decision.  It would suggest that the buyers probably haven't been told the outcome yet (unless this is them having a second crack at the test).

The Premier League is copping for a lot of flak here due to the amount of time it is taking (and possibly rightly so), but the buyers will be dealing with other stuff in their workload as well and won't just be sat twiddling their thumbs waiting for the FA to contact them, they'll respond and communicate when they actually have the time available to do so.  They were answering questions last week but when did the Premier League actually request this information? It could've been weeks ago.

Until I'm told it's off, I'm remaining hopeful.

I'm maintaining my stance of "Not a fucking hope in hell this goes through".

We don't get nice things. This'll collapse and be replaced by someone with no money like Henry Mauriss. That'll get waved through in about 2 weeks and everyone in the press will fall over themselves to tell us how lucky we are, that it's for the best we didn't get the Saudis and how we should be delighted to have got rid of Ashley for this guy.

Then he'll saddle the club with crippling debt, replace the SD adverts with ones for his 2p streaming companies and we'll tank it down the leagues like Blackburn under Venkys. Then everyone will tell us that we should have kept Ashley and "we told you to be careful what you wished for - See, Ashley wasn't that bad after all and you hounded him out!".

The script's written. We've just got to watch it all play out now.

Yes I remain hopeful too.

If you hear the pod on tyne podcast in this deal the most important thing is to agree with Ashley and make him sign the agreement which they did.

It took months to reach to this point and it it not too hard or long from now on. Wait lads dont read of too much of negativity.

I'm maintaining my stance of "Not a fucking hope in hell this goes through".

We don't get nice things. This'll collapse and be replaced by someone with no money like Henry Mauriss. That'll get waved through in about 2 weeks and everyone in the press will fall over themselves to tell us how lucky we are, that it's for the best we didn't get the Saudis and how we should be delighted to have got rid of Ashley for this guy.

Then he'll saddle the club with crippling debt, replace the SD adverts with ones for his 2p streaming companies and we'll tank it down the leagues like Blackburn under Venkys. Then everyone will tell us that we should have kept Ashley and "we told you to be careful what you wished for - See, Ashley wasn't that bad after all and you hounded him out!".

The script's written. We've just got to watch it all play out now.

Welp, that's the worst case sorted, then :thup:

Guest chopey

Its all sorted man, money talks, Bein sports will be broadcast legally in Saudi by the re-start of the season and Ashley will be long gone.

Its all sorted man, money talks, Bein sports will be broadcast legally in Saudi by the re-start of the season and Ashley will be long gone.

Whilst I lean towards the theory that it will get sorted and the sale will be completed, I don't think the resolution will involve BeIn Sport being broadcast in Saudi Arabia.

I think the Royal Family will want local control of the broadcast into Saudi homes so they can control what advertising materials and affiliated content comes along with the broadcast.  Saudi Arabia is a very-conservative country that finds many more liberal principles to be highly offensive so they would likely be intolerant of any extra content that comes along with the BeIn broadcast.  So I suspect they will pay for KSA Sport to have it's own broadcast license - possibly paying some compensation to BeIn, via the Premier League as part of the license fee, so Saudi Arabia doesn't directly send money to its enemy.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the bidding process for the rights in the Middle-East is in 2021 right? If so, I imagine they should be discussing the deal for the current and next season, but some time next year, when the bidding starts, the Saudis are ready to bid? Its like a countdown to the end days for beIN whatever way you look at it if this deal goes through.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the bidding process for the rights in the Middle-East is in 2021 right? If so, I imagine they should be discussing the deal for the current and next season, but some time next year, when the bidding starts, the Saudis are ready to bid? Its like a countdown to the end days for beIN whatever way you look at it if this deal goes through.

21/22 I think?

Whilst I lean towards the theory that it will get sorted and the sale will be completed, I don't think the resolution will involve BeIn Sport being broadcast in Saudi Arabia.

I think the Royal Family will want local control of the broadcast into Saudi homes so they can control what advertising materials and affiliated content comes along with the broadcast.  Saudi Arabia is a very-conservative country that finds many more liberal principles to be highly offensive so they would likely be intolerant of any extra content that comes along with the BeIn broadcast.  So I suspect they will pay for KSA Sport to have it's own broadcast license - possibly paying some compensation to BeIn, via the Premier League as part of the license fee, so Saudi Arabia doesn't directly send money to its enemy.

BeIN we’re providing content in Saudi Arabia before without a problem. The problem is not to do with advertising or anything like that, it’s to do with politics.

If Saudi Arabia really had that much of a problem with that sort of stuff, then they would have banned it long before they did because of the betting companies and financial companies which don’t adhere to Sharia law.

BeIN we’re providing content in Saudi Arabia before without a problem. The problem is not to do with advertising or anything like that, it’s to do with politics.

If Saudi Arabia really had that much of a problem with that sort of stuff, then they would have banned it long before they did because of the betting companies and financial companies which don’t adhere to Sharia law.

Fair call.

Money talks but Qatar have arguably more. Certainly they are capable to offer more to the PL.

According to a colleague, you can watch BeIN legally from KSA through their app or other 3rd party apps. Apparently loads of people watch it this way. Last year, I spent few days in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain - they are also part of the blockade - but BeIN's channels (and Al-Jazeera) were widely available in hotels and bars and it certainly wasn't beoutQ signal :lol:

21/22 I think?

21/22 is the last season that they have the rights for but the bidding for the new one is before the 21/22 ends.

As much as I dislike him, he’s not wrong.

He might be though, he, you or I don't know that

it may eventually go through but what he's said there is 100% right what Stavely and co have been leaking to journalists about "no red flags" is clearly complete bollocks as is their bravado that oh it will be done in a few weeks.

It depends what was meant by "red flags". There may well be some questions which have needed answering, but Staveley's team and the Reubens must have always been pretty confident they would be dealt with. A genuine red flag would probably have killed the deal by now.

Actually the fact that it hasn't been knocked back yet just leads me to think it will go through. Why would the PL waste all that time if the piracy issue was insurmountable? They must be looking at some way of getting it through, it might just be a case of timing, perhaps waiting for the PL restart before giving it the all clear.

Agree. Like any other country, KSA can bid for the rights and show the PL locally. To do that now, they need to renegotiate with BeIN, cause they own rights for the whole MENA region (with KSA's approval) for another two years, if I'm not mistaken. It's extremely unlikely that Qatar and KSA will renegotiate anything right now - they have zero diplomatic relations.

The possibility of KSA outbidding Qatar for the PL rights in the whole region is pie in the sky stuff. They don't have the expertise, nor the finance to do that.