Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

I know Masters has said there’s no time limit but surely this will have to be concluded either just before the season finishes or just after. The negative impact on the club moving forwards if this goes on into August will be massive,

I mean it’s already had a negative impact so far.

I really would not be hugely reassured by them saying it should not affect the bid. That sounds like it's come from the PIF contact who has been belligerently optimistic throughout, they're hardly going to say 'well that's us screwed' are they? Not saying it'll affect us either way, no-one knows though I don't think it can really be good, but think too long PIF saying it'll go through has been taken as a better informed take than it is, they have to present as confident as not doing so would acknowledge they think they might not be fit and proper which would be a mad stance.

Saudi Arabia is a sovereign state and is free to decide who receives broadcast licenses.

I don’t think it will have a bearing as it’s none of the premier leagues business and has no relation to the O&D tests as far as I’m aware.

Geo politics aside.

Maybe that's what should happen technically but I am not convinced that matters too much. As it seems that we should have failed it due to the piracy and the league is just waiting for this to get cleared,  the league could probably just fail it for the piracy anyway and this could have been straw that broke the panels back in the minds of the league.

If they did fail it for piracy why would they wait? Saudi have already taken multiple measures on that front.

Also, Would a reject fall within the remit of the rest? We just witnessed Middle eastern Lawyers steamroll a governing body and id expect to see the same again should they do so.

Despite all of the delays we haven’t heard any credible leaks indicating they will fail this.

So KSA buy the rights to broadcast the EPL throughout the KSA.  BEin go to the EPL asking for compensation for the loss of the right to broadcast in the KSA,  The EPL compensates BEin by paying them what the KSA paid for the broadcast rights in the KSA.  Effectively the KSA has compensated BEin through a third party, piracy in the region is wiped out and the EPL has two countries ready to go to war in terms of outbidding the other in order to buy the TV rights to broadcast the EPL in the region.

I don’t think it’s that simple. Qatar own the rights for the entire region until 2022.

The premier league has shown no appetite to sell rights on a country by country basis in MENA previously. it’s clear both sides are using this as a Geo political Football which makes resolution even harder.

I don’t think it’s that simple. Qatar own the rights for the entire region until 2022.

The premier league has shown no appetite to sell rights on a country by country basis in MENA previously. it’s clear both sides are using this as a Geo political Football which makes resolution even harder.

Also WTO report recognised the countries were effectively at war and normal rules did not apply. This now give the PL backing to do the same and split the region.

It seems many other countries want to follow suit, seems BeIn and Qatar have pissed a lot of people off over the years.

it is already getting unpicked. lunacy to give a Qatar company rights to Saudi they have a major beef with.

Saudis will get there own tv deal which they will pay a hefty price for.

Premier League will use some of that money to compensate Bein

Piracy solved as well

These contracts and legal docuemtns are what are taking all of the time.

Guest chopey

I wonder if the takeover was going to be put through weeks ago but the EPL's ears pricked up when the idea of split TV deals across the region was muted.

it is already getting unpicked. lunacy to give a Qatar company rights to Saudi they have a major beef with.

Piracy solved as well

It could go either way.

PL rejects the deal.

Rights remain as a package which are bid up by Qatar

Status quo is maintained.

Remember. For the PL this is about money but for Qatar this is about power.

The thing I’m most certain of is that the PL won’t consider unbundling the rights before this one expires.

Piracy solved as well

It could go either way.

PL rejects the deal.

The thing I’m most certain of is that the PL won’t consider unbundling the rights before this one expires.

Aren’t there indications that that’s exactly what’s happening, right now?

Guest chopey

I wonder if the takeover was going to be put through weeks ago but the EPL's ears pricked up when the idea of split TV deals across the region was muted.

Sorry but that's a :lol:

a what ?

Piracy solved as well

It could go either way.

PL rejects the deal.

Aren’t there indications that that’s exactly what’s happening, right now?

They are? I must have missed them.

Last I was aware, the Saudi’s had revoked BEIN broadcast license but I’m not aware of PL unbundling the rights to resell on a country by country basis as this would breach they agreement with Qatar.

Unless a clause exists within the agreement between BEIN and the EPL.

I think the general thought is that KSA have found a legal loophole/excuse to terminate beIN in their territory, which they believe would render their contract in the MENA region invalid and allow them to negotiate a new deal.

I’m guessing this thought was from the Twitter sphere? :lol:

Jokes aside, it could be the case but I have the feeling this would result in multiple legal proceedings.

It also begs the question, why didn’t they just do this before?

I think the general thought is that KSA have found a legal loophole/excuse to terminate beIN in their territory, which they believe would render their contract in the MENA region invalid and allow them to negotiate a new deal.

I’m guessing this thought was from the Twitter sphere? :lol:

Jokes aside, it could be the case but I have the feeling this would result in multiple legal proceedings.

It also begs the question, why didn’t they just do this before?

Because they were waiting for the outcome of the four-year court case before levying penalties against BeIn

From a purely pragmatic point of view Bein hold rights for KSA that are worthless, they'd be stupid not to agree to allowing the Saudis to buy out those rights and make some money off them.

We don't seem to be taking the logical route in this takeover though so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.