Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Seems quite strange how stringent the FA have become since Man City and Chelsea got state backed ownership from abroad. They are certainly showing they won't be taken for a ride by any owners with dubious ties to disreputable regimes. :bluestar:

32 minutes ago, gdm said:

Seriously tho at what stage do we start blaming KSA for their part in all this. It’s been a shambles from the beginning 

Tbh I don't really care now.  Its got to the stage of 97% of Newcastle wants wanting this takeover.  Just pass the fucking thing

Imagine EPL requested disclosure on TV rights etc etc relating to the KSA. NUFC declined as PIF is the part owner. Mini hearing needed to make a disclosure decision. Rinse and repeat countless times and you reach 2022.

49 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Funny how you can get 2 different opinions from the same article.

See Kev makes it sound like there’s a way forward, somebody earlier referenced this article like it was the beginning of the end

15 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It’s basically and out of court settlement or nothing and let’s be honest after this long an out of court settlement is less likely than ever before.

I don't think that's necessarily true, the two biggest obstacles to a settlement would have probably been the PL knowing the arbitration could go either way and Ashley being willing to gamble on winning the arbitration and then taking the PL to the cleaners in the CAT.

With the PL, subject to the outcome of their jurisdiction challenge, potentially facing disclosure in the CAT before arbitration, there may be more incentive for them to settle. There's obviously stuff the PL desperately don't want to disclose.

And with no prospect of an imminent decision from the arbitration Ashley is likely to be more willing to agree to a settlement.

Not saying that I think any of that will happen, but there is a logical glimmer of hope that this could trigger a settlement. 

Edited by Jackie Broon

If the evidence is as explosive as Keith says then an out of court settlement would probably our only option, however if this doesn't happen before the end of August then they are buying a championship club.

Would be shocked if there was a settlement before CAT or even the delayed arbitration. If the Saudi diligence was not provided to both club and PL for the arbitration then it’s a completely gone off the rails, this deal. 

Im sure Liberty Media welcomed Aramco and PIF into McLaren with open arms. 

What are the rules on posting articles behind a paywall? 

I’m happy to do it if it’s not an infringement of the rules. People can make their own minds up then. I definitely didn’t see it as a positive article. It was critical of PIF and brutal when it came to what CAT could mean for the real.

Personally, I no longer have the energy to read long articles on the subject.

A friend is trying to get me to play the PL FF again this year. Have told him no fucking chance.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

If the evidence is as explosive as Keith says then an out of court settlement would probably our only option, however if this doesn't happen before the end of August then they are buying a championship club.

I'm assuming you are talking about August 2022 right?

2 hours ago, BennyBlanco said:

What are the rules on posting articles behind a paywall? 

I’m happy to do it if it’s not an infringement of the rules. People can make their own minds up then. I definitely didn’t see it as a positive article. It was critical of PIF and brutal when it came to what CAT could mean for the real.

Nah, to be safe.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I'm assuming you are talking about August 2022 right?

Not really, I don't think Bruce is good enough to keep us up with the current squad and I don't think he's got the balls to ask Ashley for more funds for players.

If come the first of September we are still in limbo I reckon we are down.

38 minutes ago, Ben said:

Not really, I don't think Bruce is good enough to keep us up with the current squad and I don't think he's got the balls to ask Ashley for more funds for players.

If come the first of September we are still in limbo I reckon we are down.

Right. The way things are panning out I just wouldn't even give much thought to any settlements before this season starts. Been waiting every day for this trumpeted July arbitration and they managed to kick that down the road by 6 months so it's on the shelf now for me. Will probably get buried 6ft under when 2022 comes round. 

About the Saudis, are they not put through tests like this when they invest in some other business? Like F1 for instance and they buying shares in Mclaren. Are they not questioned by the authorities there like what the PL are doing right now?

2 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

About the Saudis, are they not put through tests like this when they invest in some other business? Like F1 for instance and they buying shares in Mclaren. Are they not questioned by the authorities there like what the PL are doing right now?

Aye its just plain not fair along with everything else the Premier league have done to us.

1 minute ago, nufcjb said:

There are no other tests like this for ownership of any other type of business as far as I'm aware, other than for board members of NHS trusts but that is supported by specific legislation.

That's why I think the test itself will almost certainly be eventually be found to be an unlawful restriction of competition and/or trade.

It still sticks in my throat a bit that I'm backing Ashley to find skeletons in the closet of Masters and Co when I think of the things he has done over the years, apparently there is a story bubbling away about another one of his dodgy deals involving Dietmar Hopp.

5 hours ago, gdm said:

Seriously tho at what stage do we start blaming KSA for their part in all this. It’s been a shambles from the beginning 

Totally agree, also Staveley is as much to blame.... everything she touches turns to shit.

2 hours ago, Beamish said:

Totally agree, also Staveley is as much to blame.... everything she touches turns to shit.

Well I hope she eventually gets to touch us, it'll be a major improvement on the last 10 years.

8 hours ago, gdm said:

You're talking as if both sides just want the same thing and have both simply made mistakes or fallen short.  If that was the case I'd blame both sides.  But the fact is the PL are merely taking any opportunity they can to stop this takeover because it threatens the monopoly of their owners (the big six).  So no, at no point will I blame the people who actively want to take over NUFC and give us the competitive Football club we've wanted back for almost 2 decades.  I'll blame the side deliberately sabotaging it instead.