Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester City - 28/06/20 - post match from p30

Disco

Fernandez has been better then Schar this season to be fair.

Schars problem is to keep focused for 90 mins. Seems to dip under a match and takes some bad desitions at times. Think he fits better with 3 cb's than 2.

The pairing of Lascelles and Fernandez has been really good sence we started to play a back 4 again.

If we persist with 2 CBs we need to spend 25m+ on 2 new starting full backs. We desperately need new CMs, new main striker and a new winger. Chuck in a 10 to compete with Almiron.

Having a takeover done would have been nice. The planning for the future lagging the hell behind because of the 13 weeks of limbo.

I wasn't exepcting a win but was hoping for a much better showing in a rare FA Cup Quarter final

Yeah, we had that spell where we showed we could be threatening. Just makes it all the most frustrating because it leads me to think the players either didn't have the belief or just couldn't be fucked.

I thought Carroll done all he could, Saint-Maximin tried but was hampered by the tactics and made some silly errors early on. Joelinton & Lazaro gave it their best too after coming on.

The rest, nah.

Guest neesy111

I wasn't exepcting a win but was hoping for a much better showing in a rare FA Cup Quarter final

This.

This.

Why would you expect that? Just cos we beat a poor Shef United?  I expected a 5-0 hammering tbh

I agree, but weirdly we set up like we were playing a league game. Looking to get a point or any points or protecting goal difference? Was fucking stupid,its a cup tie, the cups are designed for upsets, giant killings. I'd bet a none league side that somehow managed to get to a quarter final would have done more. The thing is also, we are safe in the league,  and that was our final game where everyone should have given everything the last game that has anything of importance on our season.

Nobody gave a fuck, and not to discredit city who will torture many sides, but reality is we were shit scared and never hungry for it,and it ran right through everyone including the likes of ASM who looked lost out there. Two players looked up for it, Carroll and Fernandes.

As much as a shocker of a miss it was by Gayle, it would have been ruled out by VAR if he'd scored as he fouled the defender just before hitting the back of the Gallowgate!

I don't seen any condemning of Bruce for his first half tactics by his media mates!

I wouldn’t mind the miss as such if it wasn’t for Bruce and everyone saying just how great a finisher he is. He missed a fair few towards the end of the 17-18 season, he hasn’t had many chances of a game this season but when he has played he doesn’t look like scoring (Villa apart). I remember that missed sitter at Old Trafford this season. If he’s not scoring goals I’m not sure what he does.

He's always needed half a dozen chances to actually convert. That's why he was so useful in the Championship; so much more space and so many more opportunities for a striker in that league when you've got the likes of Shelvey, Ritchie and Perez around you.

The Gayle miss was so annoying because there were a couple of players behind him who likely would have scored.

Either side of keeper is a goal, even if he hits it at keeper, there is 3 of our players around the box, likely the rebound falls to us and we score.

Every player seems to have regressed under Bruce. Compare that with how players like Sterling, De Bruyne, Foden etc have developed under Pep Guardiola

Don’t think that’s true tbh. Fernandez, Dubravka, Hayden, Manquillo, Shelvey, Lascelles, Ritchie... all here last season, all have arguably had better seasons this year.

Every player seems to have regressed under Bruce. Compare that with how players like Sterling, De Bruyne, Foden etc have developed under Pep Guardiola

Don’t think that’s true tbh. Fernandez, Dubravka, Hayden, Manquillo, Shelvey, Lascelles, Ritchie... all here last season, all have arguably had better seasons this year.

Agree with Hayden and Shelvey. The rest, nah.

Rafa and Bruce have both taken the same approach v City in recent years, with remarkabley different reactions for both.

Rafa in the league to grind out a point (or try to keep the goal difference respectable). Bruce, bizarrely, in a cup quarter final.

Manquillo regressed? Dubravka regressed? Fernandez regressed? They most certainly haven't.

Better seasons though? Manquillo maybe but I still don't rate him.

Don't think Dubs or Fernandez have had better seasons?

In my opinion Dubravka & Fernandez have had stronger seasons, arguable though. Hence 'arguably'. The salient point was about them regressing though, and none of the mentioned players have at all.

Rafa and Bruce have both taken the same approach v City in recent years, with remarkabley different reactions for both.

What do you mean by reactions? From here or from media?

Most people on here I would assume aren't against the approach given our personnel, but:

1. react on the fact that the approach gets different reactions from media based on who the manager is and

2. react on the fact that one manager was honest in his approach, while the other says one thing and does another