Callum Wilson a doubt for season opener due to minor back surgery (Various)

Strawberry

It's getting to the point where I actually don't like him which isn't even his fault. Should've become bench fodder 6 games ago, even just to give him a kick up the arse.

Was an advocate for 4-2-3-1 against Wolves but I think I'd rather see him benched.

32 minutes ago, andycap said:

So do yous think his injuries over the years have finally caught up to him? Or just poor form confidence. 

Any striker will go through a spell where he is missing chances so I'm not going to judge on that yet. But he's too easy to mark out of a game at the moment, if he's not scoring goals, he's not doing much else.

10 minutes ago, buzz said:

Is it true he's not even able to train properly anymore? Injuries probably caught up with him now. Looks shot. 

I doubt that's true at all, but it makes a nice juicy bit of social media gossip so fair play.

3 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Played like dogshit today and has for a while. Honestly Isak must be terrible in training to not get a start.

I think we really need to remember that everything isn’t just a choice between players based on who is better in isolation. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think we really need to remember that everything isn’t just a choice between players based on who is better in isolation. 

What does this even mean? Wilson is slow and out of form. The team looked better when Isak came on and he had at least a yard more pace.

5 minutes ago, Smal said:

Howe held Guimaraes and Botman back initially. We have to hope he's getting the Isak call as spot on as he did with those two.

The context is vastly different imo. With Bruno, we were deep in the relegation mire and a player coming in from abroad in January may have taken time to adjust. On top of that, our form picked up immensely without Bruno in the team anyway, we won 6 games in 7 before he got his first start away at Southampton. 

Botman has only not started 3 games this season. 

Isak has been back from injury since 2nd January but has only started 2 league matches since. We made him our record signing in the summer to help us score goals, we've been struggling to score goals for a while now but we're persisting with starting a vastly out of form striker. It doesn't make sense now, especially if Wilson starts ahead of Isak again next week.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

On 02/03/2023 at 22:13, Miercoles said:

Yeah I don't think he's loafing it, I just think he's lost some edge.

We are also providing him absolutely no service, of course.

He's had more than one chance put literally on a plate for him in the last 6 weeks... West Home at home header from 10yds from a Trippier cross) and today (8yds out from a Trippier centre) for starters.

Need to move on from him, unlikely to ever get us double figures in a season.

Think he's done with us, unfortunately. Always liked him, but it's clear that we need a massive upgrade in the summer, and I doubt he'll be happy bring 3rd choice. Hope I'm wrong, but it's not looking likely. Whatever happens, he has to be benched for his own sake for the next game at the very least.