Callum Wilson

Strawberry

All football squads should have a third striker, so it is inconceivable to me that with Wilson’s fitness record plus Isak’s perchance for  minor niggles, that we don’t have one.

28 minutes ago, James said:

All football squads should have a third striker, so it is inconceivable to me that with Wilson’s fitness record plus Isak’s perchance for  minor niggles, that we don’t have one.

Not going to be as much of an issue next season with no Europe. 

30 minutes ago, James said:

Who is City’s? 

We have Gordon as a third choice striker which is probably the best third choice in the league tbh. With Murphy, Barnes and Almiron all fit I’ve not really got any worries about AG up top.

8 hours ago, Smal said:

We have Gordon as a third choice striker which is probably the best third choice in the league tbh. With Murphy, Barnes and Almiron all fit I’ve not really got any worries about AG up top.

I love Gordon, I think he’s an excellent winger, and should have received an England squad call-up by now, but I don’t think he’s a particularly good striker

I’ve been saying it since the summer window. It would have been ideal to sign a younger, wide forward type, who is also a genuine option as a striker. Closer to Isak than Gordon, for example. 

Quite who this mythical, good value, low risk player is, I’m not quite sure :lol: But he would have come in very useful this season with the injuries to our strikers and wide men. 

Howe does supposedly favour a bit of positional versatility when it comes to signings. So it would make sense. I’m sure that gets reported and I’ve not made that up! 

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I’ve been saying it since the summer window. It would have been ideal to sign a younger, wide forward type, who is also a genuine option as a striker. Closer to Isak than Gordon, for example. 

Quite who this mythical, good value, low risk player is, I’m not quite sure :lol: But he would have come in very useful this season with the injuries to our strikers and wide men. 

Howe does supposedly favour a bit of positional versatility when it comes to signings. So it would make sense. I’m sure that gets reported and I’ve not made that up! 

Last summer Joao Pedro would have been the obvious option. That ship has sailed now of course, but he would have been perfect.

9 hours ago, Smal said:

Problem though, it’s usually then meaning Gordon playing non stop 90s.

Think our overall management of players physical outputs would be fine if we didn’t need to be at all full energy for every game, able to dictate the pace of game at times and consequently easing the load on our players. 

Probably the next step of evolution for us under Howe. It does feel like we can be similar to how Liverpools Klopp are over the years, full throttle, but alongside it we just lack the possession aspect, so we can turn it on and off when needed.

Honestly hate this 3rd striker BS. 

City have Haaland, the Argentinian lad and then who? It’s a false 9 situation. 

Arsenal have Gabriel J, Nketiah and then another player out of position 

Villa have Waktkins, a young lad and then who?

Man U have Hojlund, Martial and then who?

I could go on. Only Liverpool have serious depth there.  

Isak, Wilson and Gordon is up there with the best 3 in the league.  

The lack of winger options is a bigger problem. 

Edited by The College Dropout

With noting Gordon won player of tournament in the u21s euros playing as striker did he not? I personally think he's a handy different option there to have as a false 9 with Barnes and miggy (well hopefully new rw) running into space that makes. I don't think third choice is the issue more maybe can we get anything for Wilson and replace as feels like he's just not able to play enough any more. Maybe next season without europe will be better but he's just unfortunately too easily injured

Need to cash in on him and replace him in the summer. He’d be great for any mid table team, even a relegation candidate, he would single handedly keep a team up with his goals, ala Defoe at Sunderland.

8 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Looks like his legs have gone to me. So slow and not sure what he's offering us these days sadly

He was playing with his back to goal, instead of coming on to through balls, he’s never been able to play with his back to goal.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree, with the slight caveat that we need at least one of our main strikers to have a good fitness record. Therefore, Wilson out and someone in.

We should also be looking for wingers of such a standard that could at least fill in up front, like Gordon.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I agree, with the slight caveat that we need at least one of our main strikers to have a good fitness record. Therefore, Wilson out and someone in.

We should also be looking for wingers of such a standard that could at least fill in up front, like Gordon.

Barnes is pretty good, but we lack RW’s with an end product.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Arsenal have Trossard before getting to Martinelli and Havertz. Wouldn’t agree it was Havertz best position but Arteta has played him there with several others fit so definitely views as more than capable. So they do have some pretty strong options and relative experience against us. 

Spurs also have Son, Richarlison and still brought in Werner. 

I would not say we need a clear number 9, but someone who can play across a front three and primarily as a 9 when we have as many injuries to Wilson and Isak as we do isn’t exactly outlandish. 

2 hours ago, duo said:

He injured it towards the end of the game challenging for a ball

Yeah I don't think there was any issue with his shoulder prior to that, the only thing he's done well since he's come back is hold the ball up, don't see how he'd be carrying defenders if his shoulder was knacked.

He doesn't look like he's capable of running beyond defenders any more though, he's basically reduced to being a poacher these days.