Newcastle United 0 - 3 Brighton - 20/09/20 - Post-match reaction from page 25

BlueStar

Would bring Joelinton on for Carroll and drop him deeper with Wilson up top by himself. We might actually be able to press them properly then and if not at least Joelinton will get the blame instead of ASM on the forum.

Playing Carroll up top and hoping for a repeat of the WHU performance is lazy from Bruce imo. Brighton's centre backs are towering, we should have used the squad and started with the more mobile, agile players in Almiron and Fraser and got them playing in and around Wilson, occupying the 3 centre backs.

As things stand Carroll is dropping deep and Wilson is left to contend with all 3 defenders, poor tactics.

Where the hell did this Lamptey kid come from? Like, I know they bought him from Chelsea, but I’d never heard of him before last week...

He's been doing this since he got into the team last season.

They were playing 4 at the back though, and so it was slightly more tempered. Now he's an outright wing back it's terrifying.

Actually looking at that pen again he took the man first

Aye he goes through the man, like. Even so, whether or not there was a faint clip on the ball a millisecond before taking the man; he was the wrong side of him and went in for a clumsy slide-tackle. Absolutely begging for a penalty to be awarded against you.

Was clueless from Saint-Maximin, like. And now he's injured again. Belter.

Bruce wants shot with s***, like. He said he played Hendrick over Almiron last week because they were more physical. Today we’re against a team who’s best player is a nippy wing-back. Even if he wanted to be negative he could have picked Almiron over on the left to combat him with his own pace and workrate. Carroll might not as well have been there today.

This is correct. Seems fairly obvious too.

Mind you, as bad as that was, we've been in worse situations and come away with something - including under Bruce. Brighton haven't played particularly well; certainly not in the last 15 minutes. Looked to me like they got complacent with our shitness so, if they don't get a third, I can see them getting nervy in the last 20 minutes.