Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 Newcastle United- 27/09/20

Greg

It was a crap performance mostly and very jammy but why wouldn’t you be more pleased with the draw than defeat? It was (tightly or wrongly) in the rules. Because Bruce is lucky and going to get praised again foolishly? I mean yeah that’s annoying but why care too much about that? ?

This is like paying for a prostitute and acting as though you actually conquered a woman. The result is the result, but this was given and not earned.

That’s a cracking analogy but doesn’t explain why a defeat is more pleasing. I’m not ecstatic at all but I’ll take the point as whoever is our manager, I don’t want us relegated.

Understood, but personally I am describing why I derive no true pleasure from this at all, not describing why I would prefer the team to lose. This also gives me no pleasure. Some people on here actively support the team to fail, which is their right, but I am not one of these people, frankly. At the end of the season, one more point is appreciated, but when that match ended, my initial reaction was anger at the state of officiating in the sport, tbh.

Fair enough, to be honest I agree. I don’t get much pleasure from this but getting a point was some slight relief as I feel we’re in for a tough season. And I guess it was kind of amusing if nothing else. Just seems some people as you say want the team to lose, which I agree is their right but likewise I gain no pleasure from that.

Absolutely criminal decision.  VAR ruining the game.  In my opinion any nufc fan celebrating that needs to give their heads a shake.

So celebrating an injury time equaliser, means you need to give your head a shake? You are f***ing weird.

An injury time penalty where Dier committed a foul on Carroll I could see your point but c'mon mate...  Can you not see that that decision was so f***ing wrong its unreal but because we were the beneficiaries we've to just go 'get in'?!!  Is that the direction you want the game to go in?

Anyway, we equalised in a game we should have have been hammered in, yet again!!  All media will be on about the decision, Bruce and Ashley get away with it. 

Maybe it is me... maybe I need to step away from watching this version of nufc.  It's getting like the Pardew era where a win/draw is just extending the torture.

It's you.

I agree with him. Watched this in the pub and it felt very weird watching people revel in both the decision and the goal. An absolute embarrassment of a performance saved by a frankly disgraceful decision.

The type of scenario that you of course milk if you're in the away end. Otherwise, nah.

The penalty decision was correct, in the sense that it was consistent with the way in which VAR is now handling those sorts of incidents.

Having said that, this and other similar decisions are ridiculous. It's like, for the sake of VAR, they are trying to make handball an issue of fact, rather than subjective interpretation. However, it leads to some very unfair decisions for defenders.

Just because the issue of intentionality is a difficult one, doesn't mean they should abandon it altogether. Everyone needs to accept that this is always going to be a grey area, and there is never going to be complete consistency in how the rule can be applied.

Guest Cheesy Beans

I mean the free kick is an issue if the ref is giving free kicks for that

Aye but they got the same freekick earlier in the game. It’s not like they were given the same penalty.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Lascelles also ‘handled’ it in the area, which wasn’t given (despite making his body bigger) and completely ruins your whole point.

It was a crap performance mostly and very jammy but why wouldn’t you be more pleased with the draw than defeat? It was (tightly or wrongly) in the rules. Because Bruce is lucky and going to get praised again foolishly? I mean yeah that’s annoying but why care too much about that? ?

This is like paying for a prostitute and acting as though you actually conquered a woman. The result is the result, but this was given and not earned.

That’s a cracking analogy but doesn’t explain why a defeat is more pleasing. I’m not ecstatic at all but I’ll take the point as whoever is our manager, I don’t want us relegated.

Understood, but personally I am describing why I derive no true pleasure from this at all, not describing why I would prefer the team to lose. This also gives me no pleasure. Some people on here actively support the team to fail, which is their right, but I am not one of these people, frankly. At the end of the season, one more point is appreciated, but when that match ended, my initial reaction was anger at the state of officiating in the sport, tbh.

Nobody is getting any pleasure out of it. That's just it. So they need to find it in other places.

Dunno about anybody else but I couldn't have cared less whether we scored the pen at the end or not. The terrible hand-ball rule is the natural progression of VAR and re-watching every incident over and over. Just completely killing the game.

All perfect fodder to fill the pundit slot.