Football governance

Nobody

6 minutes ago, Shak said:

Can't speak to baseball and basketball but that's very much not the case in the NFL. The salary cap dictates the maximum they can spend on players per season but the owners are also obliged to spend a minimum of 89% (over the course of a 4 year period) of it too.

You'll occasionally get teams "tanking", which is when they trade or cut their best/players for extra picks in future drafts, but this is all done with the aim of it allowing you to be really good a few years down the line. The Browns did an extreme version of this a few years back and were pretty much a laughing stock, four years later they have one of the best rosters in the league and are a legitimate Superbowl contender next season.

Not to say that the NFL is devoid of problems, it certainly isn't. But I do think it's as close to perfect as you can reasonably expect in terms of creating a level playing field. As others have said though, that's a system that's come together organically over decades and is massively dependent on it essentially being a one country sport whose athletes only have one league they can play in. Attempting to uproot the system that football has in place and just implementing a US sports model is completely unfeasible, and the way this ESL is structured doesn't even seem to want to do that as the bigger teams will still be dwarfing their fellow "super clubs".

Totally. The U.S. league and franchise system is a product of its environment (e.g., large geographic area, regional leagues coming together fairly early on to provide a more uniform national structure, MLB having a legal exemption from the antitrust laws, etc.). It's not perfect by any stretch, but it wasn't done in the context of hundreds to thousands of other already existing and viable clubs with long histories and supporter bases that would get completely dicked over by closing up shop.  

1 minute ago, Miggys First Goal said:

They're probably negotiating with us for the use of de Marco's services.

Simple. Push the takeover through and he's all yours.

In all seriousness, this could be the sports law case(s) of the century. He'll absolutely want to be involved.

Edited by Rosenrot

12 minutes ago, deejeck said:

Aye, I've lived on this thread for two days now [emoji38]

Same. Even my wife told me finally last night at around 11pm "the super league problems will still be there tomorrow, don't worry about it now" 

I asked her if she was an American football club owner. 

9 minutes ago, Joe_F said:

Weak as fuck that. Show some balls ffs, we need to get these cunts thrown out. If they are then happy to play in a sterile, boring as fuck league then let them. 

Also, all we really need is for one of Chelsea and/or City to jump ship and this loses all credibility. This shite vs a Champions League with Bayern, PSG, Dortmund, City, Ajax, Napoli (should they not join), Porto, Benfica etc? I know what I'm watching. 

Think the calls for PL being weak and show balls etc. is a bit silly - this is a massively complex situation, with repercussions to the whole English league on what happens next. That's not to say they shouldn't throw them out, but you have to follow a process. The PL is going to have to do a lot of consulting with it's members, players, fans, the FA, the government, lawyers, analysts etc. to work out a way forward that doesn't ruin the whole thing. The next move has to be the right one. I imagine they just want the Super League to stop and things to go back to normal as the priority.

38 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Yes, that's exactly what I was expecting. Or bring back Porto, Bayern and whoever else outside the gready 12 deserves a shot. This lot have already said they don't want to be in the CL, simply chuck them out.

Anything that's done that leaves the is lot with any power is proof that they are right. It cannot be allowed to happen. 

It's not a very pragmatic way to look at it. At the end of the day, the CL will lose all it's appeal and lot more money if they just kick out teams right now when nothing has been finalized. 

Let's not forget that this is the decision made by a few greedy owners who don't love the sport more than they love their own and other peoples money. For the past 20 years they've absolutely mismanaged their sporting investments and now they want it back. 

5 minutes ago, Flip said:

It's not a very pragmatic way to look at it. At the end of the day, the CL will lose all it's appeal and lot more money if they just kick out teams right now when nothing has been finalized. 

Let's not forget that this is the decision made by a few greedy owners who don't love the sport more than they love their own and other peoples money. For the past 20 years they've absolutely mismanaged their sporting investments and now they want it back. 

It would be a first chance for them to show that these players won't be allowed to play in Euros for example. That's what we need to see happen now, players and clubs getting cold feet. Just get one to back down, the whole thing crumbles and the rest are left with less power than they had before all this nonsense. Show any weakness, and the greedy cunts win. It really is all or nothing now IMO. It's a massive opportunity to take power away from them, or to just back down and let them win. 

Guest reefatoon
8 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

I'm glad to see NUFC opposed it. I honetly thought someone might try to buy mike off before he packs his bags.[emoji38]

Exactly. He's in a massive huff with them due to the takeover. Expected him to be a petulant child and go with the opposite to what the Premier league said just through spite.

Edited by reefatoon

14 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

I'm glad to see NUFC opposed it. I honetly thought someone might try to buy mike off before he packs his bags.[emoji38]

Ashley banks the TV money each season, which will be massively reduced if these clubs do end up being expelled from the league and / or the Super League takes greater precedence.

So it’s in his interest.

1 minute ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Ashley banks the TV money each season, which will be massively reduced if these clubs do end up being expelled from the league and / or the Super League takes greater precedence.

So it’s in his interest.

I mean, I'm not sure that's 100% true is it.

We have consider what the damage is from binning the top 6 from the PL. The PL and it's payments to clubs is based on current and future years payments of it's broadcaster deals. I don't know the pull of the top 6 has in relative terms to all the deals the PL has with all broadcasters, but if those broadcasters lose a chunk of subscribers, say 20%, that amount will be hundreds of millions of pounds that which the broadcasters can't pay to the PL. If the PL doesn't get the money, then the clubs don't get paid their money. We already know most clubs overspend or are fully dependant on it, wiping out a large chunk of it could start a chain reaction that collapses the whole thing. Appreciate it's a crude description, but I think that's the sort of reasons why it must be done pragmatically and with deep thought. No point chucking out the top 6 if it's enough to destroy the whole thing.

4 minutes ago, hakka said:

We have consider what the damage is from binning the top 6 from the PL. The PL and it's payments to clubs is based on current and future years payments of it's broadcaster deals. I don't know the pull of the top 6 has in relative terms to all the deals the PL has with all broadcasters, but if those broadcasters lose a chunk of subscribers, say 20%, that amount will be hundreds of millions of pounds that which the broadcasters can't pay to the PL. If the PL doesn't get the money, then the clubs don't get paid their money. We already know most clubs overspend or are fully dependant on it, wiping out a large chunk of it could start a chain reaction that collapses the whole thing. Appreciate it's a crude description, but I think that's the sort of reasons why it must be done pragmatically and with deep thought. No point chucking out the top 6 if it's enough to destroy the whole thing.

Nah, burn it down, burn it all down and we will rebuild.......well not me as Im too lazy but Im sure someone else, a better person than me, will take up the challenge!  So burn it All!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, hakka said:

The thing is though, they are binning us. Like it or not but unless they are in a title race, then these clubs will just play their reserves in Premier League. It is only a matter of time before the TV deals and other sponsorship deals start getting devalued. It’s not just limited to the League’s own sponsors either, but also clubs own sponsors.