Football governance

Nobody

8 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Dunno just speculating, whole thing is weird as fuck.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, but I think it's just the case they totally underestimated the backlash. I doubt they expected the Government to weigh in or potential sponsors to distance themselves so quickly.

5 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

They won't dare punish the shameless six with points deduction/demotion, not a chance.

Whole thing is rotten.

Of course not.

We've just stood up for the existing band of gutless, money obsessed weasels against another band of even more gutless, money obsessed weasels.

End result is better than it might have been, but we're still in the kingdom of the gutless, money obsessed weasels.

34 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Man, that statement from Liverpool.

Compare that to Everton's statement yesterday. Not a good look. Stakeholders? FFS.

I thought exactly the same. 'Stakeholders'. That just says it all.

I don't really get the argument about how the PL should've 'showed a spine and let them get on with it.' There's millions of decent fans of those clubs who would've suffered from a breakaway, let alone the financial ramifications that would've been felt throughout the entire pyramid by the PL becoming massively less valuable. Nothing about this is good (unless it does prompt an unlikely reform), but this situation - ie no English teams in a SL - is undoubtedly better than the alternative, imo. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't really get the argument about how the PL should've 'showed a spine and let them get on with it.' There's millions of decent fans of those clubs who would've suffered from a breakaway, let alone the financial ramifications that would've been felt throughout the entire pyramid by the PL becoming massively less valuable. Nothing about this is good (unless it does prompt an unlikely reform), but this situation - ie no English teams in a SL - is undoubtedly better than the alternative, imo. 

Yeah, though I sort of wanted them to go on and fail, you're right. And by sounds of it they did show spine, that might be partly why they came back. They should've been willing to kick them out but not letting them back in when they cancel 2 days in would be a bit silly imo - not that they shouldn't get some harsh punishments.

9 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

A Super League without English clubs, Bayern Munich or PSG? Alright then :lol:

What a mental 48 hours. Now that they don't have a Super League to turn to, the PL should punish the owners (somehow) and get the EU to create an anti-competition law to stop this ever going ahead in future.

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That applies to any clubs that have been punished in any way though Yorkie. Juventus, Milan, Marseille, Rangers. Nobody complained about the punishment for the first three and their fans had done nothing to deserve that. There needs to be punishment for this sort of thing and fining a club owner who owns another fifty clubs or one that has 421 players out on loan is not even a slap on the wrist.

Edited by Wolfcastle

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The PLs and UEFAs bargaining power has, and never will be, better than in the last few hours. By just allowing them back in without any punishment, they take that away and giving it back to the SL teams. What's there to stop them pulling this shit again in five years time if they aren't severely punished? That is why they need to come down hard on them now.

I know that it's completely unrealistic to expect them to be chucked out of the league, but honestly that's what they deserve. A hefty point deduction and a year or more out of the CL should be the very least they get; after all they are the ones that said they don't want to be in the CL anymore. It won't happen for the same reason this shite started in the first place, this lot are more powerful than the other teams, and UEFA/PL need them, maybe just not as much as their arrogance led them to believe. 

As for their fans, well fair play I guess for speaking up and stopping this, but honestly I can't say I'd be too upset if they didn't get to see their precious team win even more trophies next season. Maybe they might even learn some humility by being forced out of the top league for a bit. 

17 minutes ago, Nobody said:

The PLs and UEFAs bargaining power has, and never will be, better than in the last few hours. By just allowing them back in without any punishment, they take that away and giving it back to the SL teams. What's there to stop them pulling this shit again in five years time if they aren't severely punished? That is why they need to come down hard on them now.

I know that it's completely unrealistic to expect them to be chucked out of the league, but honestly that's what they deserve. A hefty point deduction and a year or more out of the CL should be the very least they get; after all they are the ones that said they don't want to be in the CL anymore. It won't happen for the same reason this shite started in the first place, this lot are more powerful than the other teams, and UEFA/PL need them, maybe just not as much as their arrogance led them to believe. 

As for their fans, well fair play I guess for speaking up and stopping this, but honestly I can't say I'd be too upset if they didn't get to see their precious team win even more trophies next season. Maybe they might even learn some humility by being forced out of the top league for a bit. 

Are we arguing different points here? I'm not against punishment; I'm essentially just saying I'm glad the SL hasn't come to pass and we haven't lost those clubs; like it or not, they're of critical importance to the pyramid. 

When it comes to punishment itself, I'd probably just kick em out of the CL for the next three seasons or something. Transfer embargoes maybe. 

The priority should be scrutiny on the leagues and regulators who've let it (nearly) happen. They're the greatest villains of all, imo, and I believe they've totally got away with this. Like the comparison I made yesterday: the PL is Mike Ashley and the hideous hypercapitalists are Pardew/Bruce. 

Punishing the people responsible, ultimately banning the owners who at least sanctioned this, would be reasonable and deterrent enough from it ever happening again but that would be a worse punishment for Man City and Chelsea fans than just being relegated for a  year and on the other hand could see one of the others get out of jail and get a new, better owner who will kick them on without leaving the league.

I'd prefer to get rid of the owners than relegate them because it would be better for football, relegating them is like a temporary ban they'll all bounce back from. Though fully expect neither to happen. Meanwhile Port Vale or someone will get docked points for fielding a player that wasn't registered in time.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I don’t buy for a minute that Klopp or any of those managers knew nothing about this beforehand.

It doesn’t make the teams, ie management and players culpable but they will have to live with the reaction from this. If they don’t want to they can find new clubs.

This won’t be forgotten for a long time.

4 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I don’t buy for a minute that Klopp or any of those managers knew nothing about this beforehand.

It doesn’t make the teams, ie management and players culpable but they will have to live with the reaction from this. If they don’t want to they can find new clubs.

This won’t be forgotten for a long time.

Liverpool fans have been whining on that they've been unfairly singled out, but if they hold themselves up to be some bastion of moral purity, what do they expect?

14 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Punishing the people responsible, ultimately banning the owners who at least sanctioned this, would be reasonable and deterrent enough from it ever happening again but that would be a worse punishment for Man City and Chelsea fans than just being relegated for a  year and on the other hand could see one of the others get out of jail and get a new, better owner who will kick them on without leaving the league.

I'd prefer to get rid of the owners than relegate them because it would be better for football, relegating them is like a temporary ban they'll all bounce back from. Though fully expect neither to happen. Meanwhile Port Vale or someone will get docked points for fielding a player that wasn't registered in time.

A number of lower league clubs have been punished by points and fines for breaking rules e.g. FFP. All 6 clubs who broke the Premier League rules have to be punished by the same measures. Failure to do so would be a mockery.

Football clubs are businesses first and foremost. 

since when do employees get kept in the loop with regards to executive decision making?

I understand salaries are huge for both managers and players but this is a function of the market and the level of competition. Please don’t feel fooled the players and managers are disposable employees. 

3 minutes ago, Rosenrot said:

Liverpool fans have been whining on that they've been unfairly singled out, but if they hold themselves up to be some bastion of moral purity, what do they expect?

What I’ve seen on Twitter and their forums, there was a fair few of them all for this super league the previous two days.