Football governance

Nobody

The parasitic owners of these clubs don't seem to have noticed that football, a hell of a lot of the time, is actually quite a dull game, and the dullness increases as the jeopardy decreases. The latter stages of the Champions League are the peak of the sport, and so exciting, because of what is at stake, not because of who is on the pitch or what shirt they're wearing.

We already have a large body of evidence that regular games between Team A and Team B aren't necessarily must-see events - it's called the group stage, where Barca and Juve already meet twice a year every year to play out two fairly unmemorable dead rubbers. Now we can watch it every week in perpetuity!

1 minute ago, Rosenrot said:

I really don't want the PL or UEFA to fold under the pressure because it will just embolden more of these bullying tactics in future.

And that’s what sad about all this. These clubs will ultimately get their way, even if the ESL falls apart.

4 minutes ago, Wullie said:

The parasitic owners of these clubs don't seem to have noticed that football, a hell of a lot of the time, is actually quite a dull game, and the dullness increases as the jeopardy decreases. The latter stages of the Champions League are the peak of the sport, and so exciting, because of what is at stake, not because of who is on the pitch or what shirt they're wearing.

We already have a large body of evidence that regular games between Team A and Team B aren't necessarily must-see events - it's called the group stage, where Barca and Juve already meet twice a year every year to play out two fairly unmemorable dead rubbers. Now we can watch it every week in perpetuity!

Bang on. 

7 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Nicely put

59 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, you have to have a kind of morbid admiration for such a small group of rich people ripping the absolute piss out of the world’s most beloved sport. Takes some type of cunt. 

Football only existed to distract the masses from them destroying the world. Now they've completed that job they no longer care.

46 minutes ago, thomas said:

There has to be some expectation of literally global brand toxicity given the backlash so far. :lol: Wouldn't sponsor them for shit if I was a fortune 500.

With JP Morgan propping it up, I doubt they'll have a problem finding sponsors.

29 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

This is what I kind of dont understand. I mean yeah, I agree Eufa will be terrified, but this whole "these n clubs drive the most revenue" argument is horseshit, surely? Or is that just me? Fuck them off a year later there's other clubs taking their place battling for the same prize to the same audience. Maybe I'm naive. But I think ultimately fans watch football and especially the bigger competitions regardless. Because they enjoy the competition. Some of the best games are just random teams. Fuck Im a Newcastle fan and I watch it. I bet Man United fans watch it despite their club not being good enough to be in it. Is it the foreign fans who tend to align to bigger clubs they fear they'll lose the revenue of? Like even they're not going to continue watching or jjust change club? They dont really give a fuck.

This whole chasing the audience thing fucking infuriates me.

I think it's very much focussed on the non-European market - I reckon people in the US would lap this up, these clubs are deeply embedded internationally as the top clubs and I think on the whole most would take this over a Champions League or PL without them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but basically they want to replace the Champions League with the ESL so firstly they are guaranteed to be in it every year and secondly to make more money. At the same time they want to remain in their domestic leagues but not play in the mid week cup competitions or play their reserve teams. They won't have to be particularly competitive or successful  in their own leagues as the position they end up won't have any bearing on qualifying for anything as they already have, presumably even if they got relegated.

This is obviously very much owner driven, billionaires already, just wanting more money. Don't expect much kick back from managers and players they will all be getting more money one way or another.

So will the PL, the other domestic leagues, EUFA and FIFA call their bluff and kick them out? My money is on a resounding no, there will be some kind of public peace offering and the rich clubs will have just negotiated and got more money and power.

Fuck me, they actually went through with the announcement!? Trying to blame the pandemic and all :mackems: Off you fuck to your little super league you bunch of utter cunts, no one will miss you :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Sima said:

This ends with these 15 clubs getting their guaranteed spot in the Champions League every year and an increased share of power and revenue domestically.

Aye, unfortunately this is probably right. 

10 minutes ago, Sima said:

This ends with these 15 clubs getting their guaranteed spot in the Champions League every year and an increased share of power and revenue domestically.

That would make such a joke of the CL that I'd hope even if shitty UEFA would not crumble to that. Perhaps it could be as, I believe Juve have lobbied for, based on an average of a few seasons (which I think they did in Argentinian relegation to avoid Boca/River going down) - so that if you have one shit season you'll still get in CL - though that probably wouldn't fly with Spurs and Arsenal. (That'd still be shit obviously, but maybe easier for UEFA to swallow)

Edited by Inferior Acuña

10 minutes ago, Sima said:

They were already getting that - UEFA had already agreed to increase England's quota to 5, make the group stage longer with 4 extra spots reserved for teams based on some vague nonsense around historical merit.

Edited by Pandamninator

4 minutes ago, Pandamninator said:

They were already getting that - UEFA had already agreed to increase England's quota to 5, make the group stage longer with 4 extra spots reserved for teams based on some vague nonsense around historical merit.

Not good enough for them, all six want guaranteed places every year.

They want their cake and to eat it.

What would be their plan if everyone was just like "oh ok, sure, Sounds good. Go ahead" ?

Play Premier League on Saturday and then "european league" midweek? Champions League would be scrapped? What about Europa League?  What if Man Utd qualified for Europa league through the Prem, then had to play Prem sat, Euro league Tue, Europa league thurs?

I'm so confused with this "plan" :lol:

Or maybe those "big" 6 teams don't take part in the CL or EL? In which case what would be the point of even being in the Prem? They might as well leave anyway.  No scenario sounds even remotely good.

Edited by sbnufc