Football governance

Nobody

This is surreal but at the same time hardly surprising either - we can all feel football has fundamentally lost its way and I think most people's enjoyment in it has dwindled to varying levels over the last 20 years. By the same token I can't even bring myself to feel too outraged about it either. 

Can't wait to see how the top six managers/players have to sell this to the media. I'm sure the £1m per week will do the talking for them :lol:

Just now, Yorkie said:

Is there any indication at all about where the income is coming from for this thing? Who on earth is paying billion after billion after billion to watch this yawnfest with no tangible links to traditional football competition on repeat? Is it really just at simple as showcasing events in less accessible places with wealthy upper classes? Is there no reliance on the traditional fan whatsoever? Just don't get it at all, and still can't see it, I'm spite of all the waves tonight. Just seems like a dramatic way of telling them they're unsatisfied with the Swiss league CL reforms. 

JP Morgan, apparently.

Even trying to be as objective as I can, surely it’s going to be shit?

The point of European football is that it’s a battle and it’s tribal, the point of the champions league is that when you win it you’re crowned the best of the best.

What is the jeopardy that’s going to make this compelling to watch?

FWIW I would actually like to see more games between European teams at all levels, if the logistics could work. It’s not much different to travelling from Toronto to California to play a basketball game, for example  

But not like this, it’s more like WWE than football. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Is there any indication at all about where the income is coming from for this thing? Who on earth is paying billion after billion after billion to watch this yawnfest with no tangible links to traditional football competition on repeat? Is it really just at simple as showcasing events in less accessible places with wealthy upper classes? Is there no reliance on the traditional fan whatsoever? Just don't get it at all, and still can't see it, I'm spite of all the waves tonight. Just seems like a dramatic way of telling them they're unsatisfied with the Swiss league CL reforms. 

JP Morgan have put 3.5bn up. 

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

What's wrong with the Champions League logistically or financially to them? Literally don't understand. 

They don't get enough money from it. I'm guessing but thats the actual reasoning and the fact that UEFA run it not the big rich clubs. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

The "Swiss" system that was apparently coming in is very similar to what the Super League system is, except obviously there's no merit involved. Both terrible

33 minutes ago, Shak said:

Why are PSG not doing it? I don't think it's cynical to suggest that it's not some sort of moral stand they're taking? :lol:

Their owner has a lot of money tied up in UEFA TV rights.

1 minute ago, Disco said:

JP Morgan have put 3.5bn up. 

Imagine if they sign up with say an exclusive gaming partner. And funnel all the gamblers to one place. Imagine what these kinds of rights would be worth. 

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

It is. The whole project is a fuck you to UEFA for not bending to their ludicrous demands for the CL.

Even more annoying is UEFA pretty much did.

10 match day group stage, extra 4 teams and the bullshit reserved places for "historically significant" clubs who are too incompetent to qualify despite every advantage in the world.

And it still wasn't enough.

Edited by Pandamninator

Just now, triggs said:

The "Swiss" system that was apparently coming in is very similar to what the Super League system is, except obviously there's no merit involved. Both terrible

Perhaps it's not that with which they specifically have an issue then; rather it's a collective agreement between themselves that they're not getting the riches believe they're owed, and they're now pointing a gun at UEFA/their respective football associations. 

Just now, Disco said:

It’s next levels of bad cuntery like. Absolutely peak levels. I’m almost impressed, absolute fucking scum.

Yeah, you have to have a kind of morbid admiration for such a small group of rich people ripping the absolute piss out of the world’s most beloved sport. Takes some type of cunt. 

1 minute ago, Pandamninator said:

Even more annoying is UEFA pretty much did.

10 match day group stage, extra 4 teams and the bullshit reserved places for "historically significant" clubs who are too incompetent to qualify despite every advantage in the world.

And it still wasn't enough.

It’s more about control than money in the long term at least. As far as these clubs are concerned Uefa are a middleman man who is no longer required. As the clubs became richer and more powerful this kind of thing became inevitable. 

The more this comes out the more it seems like a giant negotiating tactic to get more power in their leagues and for UCL/UEFA etc to bow to their demands. Ridiculously shit website and branding, no visible long term viability. I hope Uefa and the national associations and leagues call them all on it. 

You can basically blame Leicester City and Atalanta for this. They've upset the apple cart and these cowardly wankers now want to hide themselves away from competition. It's worse than just greed in that sense, they're actually scared of their 'brands', that they thought were untouchable, being damaged by the act of sport itself. They've decided they want the financial rewards of sport but without having to earn it, even when they start with a massive financial advantage anyway! 

Just now, toontownman said:

The more this comes out the more it seems like a giant negotiating tactic to get more power in their leagues and for UCL/UEFA etc to bow to their demands. Ridiculously shit website and branding, no visible long term viability. I hope Uefa and the national associations and leagues call them all on it. 

I thought that but then the clubs have left the European clubs association, which seems to be a big step. Now I have no idea if they can just rejoin but if it was a way to force UEFA's hand they may not have left that so quickly.

There is no turning back now. These clubs have shown their faces.

No fan can now say he does not understand what "modern football" means.

I am just hoping this will also result in a massive implosion, and hopefuly something genuine can grow again from football's traditional roots.

Just now, Adam said:

I thought that but then the clubs have left the European clubs association, which seems to be a big step. Now I have no idea if they can just rejoin but if it was a way to force UEFA's hand they may not have left that so quickly.

I know so little about the ECA to know if that is really a big deal or not lol. If they left UEFA though lol or is that what the ECA is? Crazy.