Football governance

Nobody

Surely alarm bells should be ringing at the PL? The potential to lose the so called "big six" forever is staring them in the face (I'm aware these proposals are along side playing PL games, for now). At the very least, it's going to compromise the standard of the domestic leagues as these clubs would surely prioritise the European league as a competition?

Perfect time for PIF to come in and remind them of the money they are willing to plough into the PL.

Surely alarm bells should be ringing at the PL? The potential to lose the so called "big six" forever is staring them in the face (I'm aware these proposals are along side playing PL games, for now). At the very least, it's going to compromise the standard of the domestic leagues as these clubs would surely prioritise the European league as a competition?

Perfect time for PIF to come in and remind them of the money they are willing to plough into the PL.

Perhaps the leaking of these plans was done to specifically pressure the PL into accepting the original Big Picture plans (where the top six have full control)? Although generally speaking I think a Super League has been always been unavoidable.

Perhaps the leaking of these plans was done to specifically pressure the PL into accepting the original Big Picture plans (where the top six have full control)? Although generally speaking I think a Super League has been always been unavoidable.

inevitable maybe but I struggle to see how it will last long term, the clubs trying to get this going are all very used to winning all the time are they going to be happy being mid-table or near the bottom? Or will they say screw this back to Prem/Serie A/La Liga where we can be the big dogs all the time

how does it work in the NFL? do team with no hopes of the playoffs just quietly see the season out with pointless games? what's their motivation?

Being first in line to the hot new prospect in the next draft. And on that note, am I crazy for wondering if a big enough rift could make drafts possible in football?

Now wondering whether they could implement a draft system for the new Euro league. Players available to sign choosing to 'declare' for the new league?

how does it work in the NFL? do team with no hopes of the playoffs just quietly see the season out with pointless games? what's their motivation?

Being first in line to the hot new prospect in the next draft. And on that note, am I crazy for wondering if a big enough rift could make drafts possible in football?

Now wondering whether they could implement a draft system for the new Euro league. Players available to sign choosing to 'declare' for the new league?

yeah but that depends on finishing last.

so if you can't reach the playoffs, then teams strive to finish last?

If the Big project plans went ahead they would have just proposed and voted in favour of this European League at the earliest opportunity.

The way they wanted less domestic games just ties in to how these proposals were in fact a part of the Big picture proposals.

Sadly I think any new shiny concept will attract huge interest at first but long term there's a good chance the novelty will wear thin once people realise the game as they knew it is lost. I'd be delighted to see these clubs fuck off for good rather than using their power to leverage changes in the game that only suit themselves at the expense of competitive integrity.

Beyond fed up with them tbh, whether it be them wanting to referee games themselves, hoovering up young talent and letting them stagnate, or turning players' heads the moment they deem them too good not to be part of this all powerful big 6 club, which usually means previously good PL players being sat on their benches instead.

Players and coaches are still trying to keep their jobs in a league with a high player turnover ratio due to the draft. Doesn't really make sense for players to lose on purpose so the team could draft their younger and cheaper replacement. Owner's would most likely love to see their team lose in a lost season but it's never that simple. Trading away your best players is basically the only option and even that doesn't always work.

So the proposal is basically a closed shop Champions League. It'll never get off the ground.

A European Super League can only be a good thing tbh. A super sanitized, uncompetitive league for a tourists and corporate box wankers while we would hopefully see a rivitalization in the competitiveness of English domestic football.

Theres a good chance it'd die on its arse anyway. Like Neesy said, who's going to give a fuck about Dortmund V Benfica in a glorified friendly. If you have no relegation and no qualification for a European tournament, the majoirty of teams would have nothing to play for most of the season. Its different in the PL. New teams every season. 6 European qualification places for two (soon to be 3) different european competitions and 3 relegation places theres more often than not, something to play for. There's plenty of narrative to be had. How much story can you create with the same 18 teams every season mostly with nowt to play for?

Even if it was a success, why the fuck should I care? I'll still watch Newcastle along with thousands of others. Potentially in a more competitive league with qualification to a UEFA European Competition. Let them go, it might just be the best thing to happen to English football. 

Players and coaches are still trying to keep their jobs in a league with a high player turnover ratio due to the draft. Doesn't really make sense for players to lose on purpose so the team could draft their younger and cheaper replacement. Owner's would most likely love to see their team lose in a lost season but it's never that simple. Trading away your best players is basically the only option and even that doesn't always work.

A draft would actually be great in football. It'll never happen in a million years though.

So they want rid of the Community shield and the League cup so they have enough room in their fixture list to play in the European super league?

And selective Premier League tour every 5 years. I'm sure you can guess which teams would be selected for this overseas Premier League tour.

If the Big project plans went ahead they would have just proposed and voted in favour of this European League at the earliest opportunity.

The way they wanted less domestic games just ties in to how these proposals were in fact a part of the Big picture proposals.

Exactly this! They would have monopolized the English league system and been in control with the Super League. Guaranteed the narrative will be played off as the Premier League and naysayers rejecting the chance to save lower league clubs and in the process driving these big clubs with no options to the Super League.

They would have done that anyway. Fuck them. Already looks like they aren't convinced and want to test the waters by remaining in their home leagues until they know for certain it benefits them most to fully break away.

franchised football teams playing each other around the world - but in smaller stadia to ensure capacity crowds made up of overseas fans and celebrities.

the odd game in the uk for local fans.

fuck that - if i can't go to every home game, a few away games a year, I wouldnt be interested.

there's enough overseas and armchair fans out there to lap it up though.

what to NFL fans feel when the games are played at wembley? do they feel cheated at all?