Football governance

Nobody

Performance only matters to these people once revenue is impacted. Such a league would be a revenue guarantee, the dice roll of finishing in the top would essentially be over.

Yep. And the quality won't matter because the pundits will tell us it's better than ever.

Performance only matters to these people once revenue is impacted. Such a league would be a revenue guarantee, the dice roll of finishing in the top would essentially be over.

Short term it might increase revenue, but domestic audiences would lose interest pretty quickly I'd think.

Wouldn't think most of a UK audience would be crawling over themselves to watch Dortmund vs Lyon for a league they've no interest in. Yes I know there are die-hard purists who will watch any football on TV but they aren't the majority.

Obviously if this ever got the go-ahead it would be a subscription, but unless your own team was involved would you really be looking to pay for it, or just take it in if it happened to be on in the pub (post covid clearly)

I seriously think this new league would get stale after 1 season. I mean, what is so different about it that it would appeal to the masses?

Other than playing on weekends or in different parts of the world. Wonder gow the Mancs and Scousers will feel if their team played Barcelona in Melbourne or Beijing?

Sure, the money will entice the big sponsors and corporation but what do the fans get that is fascinating or different playing the same teams as you do in the Champions League, season after season after season with no relegation? It would be no different to that pre-season friendly tournament that they usually play in each summer.

The problem with all this is that they want it all ways.  They will want to stay in the Premier League but will probably want it reduced to 16 teams in time because they play too many games (despite having twice as many players as everyone else) and then they will want to get rid of the FA Cup.  Perhaps they might want to play their B teams in the Premier League if the EFL won't let them in.

They will probably want to play their European games at the weekend as well and want the Premier League to be midweek which would make it difficult for other fans to attend their team's games.

They might get richer but they will ruin football for the rest of us but I guess these days, it is the overseas fans that matter rather than the domestic fans. 

They’ve talked about Super Leagues for years and it’s never happened.

This could just be a power play within the domestic league.

Something has them spooked to be so in the open about it.. perhaps they’ve gotten wind that the Saudi deal will eventually be passed??

The problem with all this is that they want it all ways.  They will want to stay in the Premier League but will probably want it reduced to 16 teams in time because they play too many games (despite having twice as many players as everyone else) and then they will want to get rid of the FA Cup.  Perhaps they might want to play their B teams in the Premier League if the EFL won't let them in.

They will probably want to play their European games at the weekend as well and want the Premier League to be midweek which would make it difficult for other fans to attend their team's games.

They might get richer but they will ruin football for the rest of us but I guess these days, it is the overseas fans that matter rather than the domestic fans. 

This is exactly it. They don't want to kill the golden goose which is the Premier, they just want it chopped down and fattened up so they can take delectable nibbles at it when it's convenient for them. That's why the rest of the teams should just tell them to do one and leave if they try to push it too much. We'd miss the big 6, but they'd miss the rest of us a lot more.

So there would be the same teams every year? Would remove all meritocracy surely, which would surely dampen its reputation?

Wasnt so long ago the Juve owner was voicing that Atalanta shouldn't be in the Champions league despite their finishing league position on the grounds that other clubs had more illustrious histories.

Covid-19 has been the worst thing for football. It really seems to have given the big clubs hard evidence that they really don't actually need fans there to make the product work. Now they don't have to care about the interests of domestic supporters in the long term.

Personally with the combination of VAR and empty stadiums I have found football to be pretty dreadful over the last year or so, but I'm probably in the minority with that view.

"As part of that blueprint, the founder clubs could not be relegated for 20 years, although the remaining teams would be subject to being replaced depending upon their league position at the end of each season."

They'd be bored after 1 season that they'll change the rules and race for relegation to get out of the shitfest. Aye money wise they won't want to get relegated but playing the same teams for 20 years?? They'll be jealous watching us thump Burnley 3-1 on Channel 5 PPV.

"As part of that blueprint, the founder clubs could not be relegated for 20 years, although the remaining teams would be subject to being replaced depending upon their league position at the end of each season."

"You haven't sold enough merch this year...good bye"

This is dead and gone. From the minute it started it was dead and gone. It was dreamt up by a bunch of low-life idiots.

Why are we still discussing this on this thread, at all?

(Yes, I know I have just posted on this thread too)

They'd be bored after 1 season that they'll change the rules and race for relegation to get out of the shitfest. Aye money wise they won't want to get relegated but playing the same teams for 20 years?? They'll be jealous watching us thump Burnley 3-1 on Channel 5 PPV.

I'd love to watch a race to the bottom. Especially if they do so and their former leagues tell them to get fucked when they come crawling back.