Football governance

Nobody

The first thing any of these supporters' groups should've been doing is to get the likes of Shearer, Rob Lee, Keegan, Warren Barton and Beresford on a camapign to back a boycott of NUFC. I want to see Phillipe Albert directly shaming people for going to the match. I want to see Andreas Andersson calling match-goers 'big gimps' live on a Swedish cooking show.

Edited by Candi_Hills

Guest neesy111
3 minutes ago, Smal said:

I don’t think it’s that, just Shearer cares more about getting his payday than Neville does.

This is absolutely spot on.

1 minute ago, Candi_Hills said:

The first thing any of these supporters' groups should've been doing is to get the likes of Shearer, Rob Lee, Keegan, Warren Barton and Beresford on a camapign to back a boycott of NUFC. I want to see Phillipe Albert directly shaming people for going to the match. I want to see Andreas Andersson calling match-goers 'big gimps' on live on a Swedish cooking show.

I want to see Temuri Ketsbaia laying waste to a wooden advertising board with Ashley's face on it.

Just another point re Shearer putting himself above NUFC, he must have been somewhat complicit in getting rid of Bellamy when he could have told Souness to lay off. He never got past his dislike off Bellamy despite how good he was for Shearer's own game. 

Guest HTT II

The biggest thing fans of Man Utd can do or NUFC is join together as trusts and groups and protest together as one big fan consortium. Put rivalries aside, hatred or whatever, just come together and attack the owners, the broadcasters, the parasites and reclaim our game, sport and clubs once and for all. That’s what NUST should be striving for as much as their pledge scheme, likewise all other trusts and groups at other clubs. 

10 minutes ago, Decky said:

Every other supporter I met thought the likes of the stadium renaming was hilarious and constantly took the piss and continue to do so with Ashley. They don't care about other clubs and never did and now they want supporters to come together against the actions of their own clubs owners. I applaud their efforts but these fans aren't friends in our fight and never will be. 

Yeah, tribalism is such a powerful barrier for any form of cross-partnership network across fanbases.

But in the same breath, tribalism is the bedrock of football's social identity.

I think on this occasion, it's clear why this has resonated across the wider footballing pyramid, as the 'ESL' was threatening to usurp the traditional classifications and meritocracy of the English (also wider European) game.

However, back to your point, I think common tribalism means nobody is going to give a fuck about a bad owner at another team, exceptions being cases like Wigan or Blackpool perhaps. We're all guilty of it, the West Ham ownership for example are comprised of total crooks but I couldn't care less because my focus is solely on Ashley and NUFC.

I don't think a 'common purpose' will ever truly be achieved on matters like these, mainly due to the social currents that underpin the game and culture.

Guest HTT II

One thing we as NUFC and other fans have to realise, accept and recognise is that the likes of Man Utd are ‘special’ in the bigger scheme of things so they will get ex players irate and the media making a fuss when say one of them plans to break away from the league that’s why the likes of Man Utd are or were in on this from start to start with because they are a big deal. We mustn’t whinge that a Gary Neville or a Sky or whoever are calling out the Glazers as bad owners while they’ve ignored and even derided NUFC fans for example for complaining about how badly our own club has been run and how bad Ashley is, but we must join the narrative and again our own former legends need to step up and stop being so silent and so apathetic and grow a pair. And as fans we must (as NUFC fans too) demand our former legends do and make sure we are at the same table when it comes to demonstrating and protesting bad ownership etc. in terms of the media and our own public figures in this conversation and debate or have our voices lost and ignored like they have been in terms of the mass media/mass debate. 

Edited by HTT II

Guest neesy111
4 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Yeah, tribalism is such a powerful barrier for any form of cross-partnership network across fanbases.

I think on this occasion, it's clear why this has resonated across the wider footballing pyramid, as the 'ESL' was threatening to usurp the traditional classifications and meritocracy of the English (also wider European) game.

However, back to your point, I think common tribalism means nobody is going to give a fuck about a bad owner at another team, exceptions being cases like Wigan or Blackpool perhaps. We're all guilty of it, the West Ham ownership for example are comprised of total crooks but I couldn't care less because my focus is solely on Ashley and NUFC.

I don't think a 'common purpose' will ever truly be achieved on matters like these, mainly due to the social currents that underpin the game and culture.

Good post.

Think the issue is when people are NUFC > Football.  Where as I'm a football fan first, especially nowadays.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

Good post.

Think the issue is when people are NUFC > Football.  Where as I'm a football fan first, especially nowadays.

This and this. I’m the same today, I’m a football fan first which includes NUFC as part of this and even more so grassroots footy now that my boy is involved in that side of the game. 

7 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

However, back to your point, I think common tribalism means nobody is going to give a fuck about a bad owner at another team, exceptions being cases like Wigan or Blackpool perhaps. We're all guilty of it, the West Ham ownership for example are comprised of total crooks but I couldn't care less because my focus is solely on Ashley and NUFCI don't think a 'common purpose' will ever truly be achieved on matters like these, mainly due to the social currents that underpin the game and culture.

Yep. Tribalism is what sets English football apart from the other leagues, that is why I never really bought into the idea that the Big Six held all the cards. I was quite prepared to see them fuck off tbh, but would have required the FA to have the balls to kick them out of the Premier. 

"Do stay with us, because................ we're going to take a break" :lol: Dave Jones doing his best Krusty the Clown impression.

"Sorry about this kids, but we have some real good toy commercials coming up. I swear!"

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

One thing we as NUFC and other fans have to realise, accept and recognise is that the likes of Man Utd are ‘special’ in the bigger scheme of things so they will get ex players irate and the media making a fuss when say one of them plans to break away from the league that’s why the likes of Man Utd are or were in on this from start to start with because they are a big deal. We mustn’t whinge that a Gary Neville or a Sky or whoever are calling out the Glazers as bad owners while they’ve ignored and even derided NUFC fans for example for complaining about how badly our own club has been run and how bad Ashley is, but we must join the narrative and again our own former legends need to step up and stop being so silent and so apathetic and grow a pair. And as fans we must (as NUFC fans too) demand our former legends do and make sure we are at the same table when it comes to demonstrating and protesting bad ownership etc. in terms of the media and our own public figures in this conversation and debate or have our voices lost and ignored like they have been in terms of the mass media/mass debate. 

I definitely agree with this.

The behemoths of English football - Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal are always going to act as a lightening rod for any issues and rhetoric circulating in the footballing world. That's why their ESL memberships and sullied ownership are catching fire because there's just so much more attention affixed to these clubs at any given moment.

It's not just a national gaze, it's worldwide.

Newcastle will obviously be the biggest club in our own head-space, but that's never going to be reciprocated.

Another issue with our fanbase wondering where all the outrage is about Ashley and his ownership is that if we're being direct, the narrative has gotten stale. It's difficult to keep repackaging this trauma (more like numbness) to other audiences now.

- An awful, predominately lower-half team with an owner that has no ambitions beyond that for the past 13 or so years

Yes we've had relegations across that time, but that's pretty much how it's been. So for a neutral observer looking in, they're probably thinking "well yeah that's shit how Ashley is still there, but it's been that way for ages now so why are you still going on about it?".

There's no new narrative, just staleness in perpetuity. 

We're still talked about clearly, but at the same there's nothing really new to say about us.

What's more, this is compounded with little direct action being orchestrated and carried out by the actual fanbase.

So you have the same narrative, every season being played-out which inevitably dilutes the issue.

I'm just catching up on this. As far as I've seen they've not hurt anyone, so don't get this call of hooliganism. Sounds like they've done a great job at an impactful protest, it's probably not enough, but better than most football protests have achieved - it's international news. 

Fuck me, Souness needs to be pensioned off by Sky ASAP. He's either complaining about football not being in the 1980's any more or trying his best to be more of a hard man than Keane. 

1 minute ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I'm just catching up on this. As far as I've seen they've not hurt anyone, so don't get this call of hooliganism. Sounds like they've done a great job at an impactful protest, it's probably not enough, but better than most football protests have achieved - it's international news. 

They're causing commercial damage.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Fuck me, Souness needs to be pensioned off by Sky ASAP. He's either complaining about football not being in the 1980's any more or trying his best to be more of a hard man than Keane. 

He’s like a punch drunk boxer trying to articulate his views these days. 

6 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

They're causing commercial damage.

They also showed someone going onto one of the podiums which had a camera and they threw it on the track around the pitch smashing it.

Edited by Optimistic Nut