Football governance

Nobody

ManU fans on TV says they hope for new owners from the middle east…..:shifty:watch PIF getting approved. No need for any tests…. Are you a top six side? Do what the fuck you want…

9 minutes ago, maze said:

ManU fans on TV says they hope for new owners from the middle east…..:shifty:watch PIF getting approved. No need for any tests…. Are you a top six side? Do what the fuck you want…

Probs the only ones who can afford to buy them out. 😬

Guest neesy111
43 minutes ago, Sima said:

Writing to them :lol:

Clearly watch too many Points of View.

From The Guardian

And so the overwhelming reaction here is not exhilaration but sadness. As tempting as it was to get swept up in the insurgent thrill, what really unfolded at Old Trafford on Sunday was an act of pure desperation: the last refuge of a group of men and women whose every last avenue had been closed to them. Fan power? Alas, no. It was, in many ways, the ultimate expression of fan powerlessness.

4 minutes ago, InspectorCoarse said:

From The Guardian / Johnathan Liew 

And so they gathered in early afternoon outside Old Trafford, a giant merchandise stall with a football stadium attached,

Says it all really 

Johnathan Liew has written some rotten stuff about us. I hope he gets burgled.

Jonathan Liew is one of the few people in Britain with more contempt for football fans than 'big six' owners - a repulsive little slug.

And fans effectively veto-ing the biggest game in English football, and destroying multiple big money broadcasts across the globe along with it, is a funny example of 'fan powerlessness'. If English football fans continue to recognise that they actually have veto power over games then it's a complete game changer. 

1 hour ago, duo said:

Probs the only ones who can afford to buy them out. 😬

Not going to happen. The legal ramifications would be huge. 

I do find it quite amusing that the false values that the likes of the Arsenal and Spurs boards have built around the clubs would make selling them problematic. 

Guest neesy111

Surprise, the season ticket holders of nufc I know are criticising the man utd fans for this.  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

That Man U fan spoke well there on MOTD, saying there are alot of PL clubs not happy with their owners, and it's not just PL clubs suffering (Bury, Bolton etc).

Yeah, he was very clear and concise with what he said. I thought it also highlighted the futility and nothingness of Jenas and Shearer there too in terms of them offering anything meaningful towards the wider discussion of football club ownership. Jenas simply refusing to give an answer or opinion when asked because he's not a Manchester United fan. Then they're rather cheaply throwing the old net spend list at Andy Mitten (the Man Utd journalist) in order to somehow justify that the Glaziers are good owners just because they spend money but he rightly says the club spend more on that servicing debt whereas they were debt free previously. I liked how he mentioned that these owners are all technically "fit and proper". 

7 minutes ago, number37 said:

Yeah, he was very clear and concise with what he said. I thought it also highlighted the futility and nothingness of Jenas and Shearer there too in terms of them offering anything meaningful towards the wider discussion of football club ownership. Jenas simply refusing to give an answer or opinion when asked because he's not a Manchester United fan. Then they're rather cheaply throwing the old net spend list at Andy Mitten (the Man Utd journalist) in order to somehow justify that the Glaziers are good owners just because they spend money but he rightly says the club spend more on that servicing debt whereas they were debt free previously. I liked how he mentioned that these owners are all technically "fit and proper". 

And then finished by saying it's about time you pundits used your voice to get behind the cause, proper put Shearer and Jenas in their place. :lol:

Everyone is sick of pundits coming out with hot air rather than saying anything meaningful.

Just now, ToonArmy1892 said:

And then finished by saying it's about time you pundits used your voice to get behind the cause, proper put Shearer and Jenas in their place. :lol:

Everyone is sick of pundits coming out with hot air rather than saying anything meaningful.

That was so good! It's night and day compared with how Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher articulate. I do appreciate the BBC may have to work under some different constraints in terms of what they're allowed to say (they're unable to take part in this weekend's social media boycott, for example) but they're wasting license payer's money. Jenas can spend half an hour on the One Show giving some bland opinion on the variety of lilly used in some hanging basket display in rural Shropshire but says nothing on how some owners want to destroy British and European football. 

1 hour ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Mind to be fair to Shearer (I've been critical of him for not coming out about Bruce also) he was very vocal when it first came out and actually went on breakfast tv for an interview and didn't shy away either. 

Edited by et tu brute

6 hours ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I definitely agree with this.

The behemoths of English football - Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal are always going to act as a lightening rod for any issues and rhetoric circulating in the footballing world. That's why their ESL memberships and sullied ownership are catching fire because there's just so much more attention affixed to these clubs at any given moment.

It's not just a national gaze, it's worldwide.

Newcastle will obviously be the biggest club in our own head-space, but that's never going to be reciprocated.

Another issue with our fanbase wondering where all the outrage is about Ashley and his ownership is that if we're being direct, the narrative has gotten stale. It's difficult to keep repackaging this trauma (more like numbness) to other audiences now.

- An awful, predominately lower-half team with an owner that has no ambitions beyond that for the past 13 or so years

Yes we've had relegations across that time, but that's pretty much how it's been. So for a neutral observer looking in, they're probably thinking "well yeah that's shit how Ashley is still there, but it's been that way for ages now so why are you still going on about it?".

There's no new narrative, just staleness in perpetuity. 

We're still talked about clearly, but at the same there's nothing really new to say about us.

What's more, this is compounded with little direct action being orchestrated and carried out by the actual fanbase.

So you have the same narrative, every season being played-out which inevitably dilutes the issue.

We are currently spitting our dummy because we're not allowed to buy every other club out of the competition. I can't see why the rest of football would unite with us.