Football governance

Nobody

Just now, Froggy said:

Reeks of American. Joel you absolute cunt. 

This is the case across every boardroom in the league to one degree or another. The Super League is the natural extension of football being turned into a business decades ago.

1 minute ago, mouldy_uk said:

Prince Philip is spinning in his Land Rover 

He did that last year as well tbf.  Nothing new.

...Argh bollocks, man.

Edited by Sima
Not as quick as the Discman...

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The American blaming is so cringe. 

I mean it's being bankrolled entirely by American money and follows a structure similar to US competition rules. Forgive me if I feel a bit resentful.

Of course yes, not the people etc the business mentality etc.

If the players collectively came together and refused to participate that would kill the proposals stone dead, surely? The branding of the 'superstars' are just as important as the clubs' - otherwise you end up with a league like China's where the Super League is just made up of 30 year old mercenaries like Dembele and Dries Mertens. Money talks though, obviously, and if they can really have their salaries multiplied by five then...

6 minutes ago, ElDiablo said:

I mean it's being bankrolled entirely by American money and follows a structure similar to US competition rules. Forgive me if I feel a bit resentful.

Of course yes, not the people etc the business mentality etc.

This doesn’t exist in a vacuum. UK society has, for the most part, spent the better part of 30 years welcoming foreign investment in the interest of growing the English game to be more competitive. Why do we think the “Premier League” was created? What was wrong with just having a First Division?

The Glazers, et. al. can eat shit...the misplaced sense of victimhood is what’s cringe. Like this is something being done to English football, rather than the natural product of decades of partnership.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

1 minute ago, buzz said:

If the players collectively came together and refused to participate that would kill the proposals stone dead, surely? The branding of the 'superstars' are just as important as the clubs' - otherwise you end up with a league like China's where the Super League is just made up of 30 year old mercenaries like Dembele and Dries Mertens. Money talks though, obviously, and if they can really have their salaries multiplied by five then...

Dries Mertens has been at Napoli for like a decade.

Just now, Tomato Deuce said:

This doesn’t exist in a vacuum. UK society has, for the most part, spent the better part of 30 years welcoming foreign investment in the interest of growing the English game to be more competitive. Why do we think the “Premier League” was created? What was wrong with just having a First Division?

I think there's a clear difference - the PL closed the shop to some extent but in essence it's still a competitive structure. This isn't.

Just now, ElDiablo said:

I think there's a clear difference - the PL closed the shop to some extent but in essence it's still a competitive structure. This isn't.

and the PL was created in cooperation with the FA and the UK government at the time, this is going against everyone one of those 

5 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

The Glazers, et. al. can eat shit...the misplaced sense of victimhood is what’s cringe. Like this is something being done to English football, rather than the natural product of decades of partnership.

If i remember correctly, the hillborough tragedy had a lot to do with setting up the premiership due the cost in upgrading 20+ stadiums to the recommended safety levels.

1 hour ago, Anderson said:

Wonder if it means PSG are genuinely opposed to it, rather than just biding their time while they're still in CL.

They have to wait until after the World Cup. If Qatar-owned PSG joins ESL, FIFA will probably move to the World Cup from Qatar.

5 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

I mean, there's no point joining later. They've designed it to only work for the founders. 

I'm sure they'd give them special dispensation.  They make the rules, after all...

6 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

I mean, there's no point joining later. They've designed it to only work for the founders. 

They certainly haven’t incentivized other clubs to join if that Twitter thread posted earlier is right re: payouts. Which is comically short-sighted.